PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking vs hiking boot

Arden
11-09-2015, 11:21
Hi;
I need a new pair of boots to replace my Asolo backpackers. The old boots are full leather and took forever to break in. I am looking for a boot that doesn't require extensive break-in, but at the same time can support my feet/ankles when I'm carrying a 40lb pack. I have done some reading on the subject, and it seems that the boots with fabric uppers, such as the Merrill Mohab mid Gore-Tex are designed for day hiking with a light pack, while a Merrell Chameleon Shift Mid GTX Gore-Tex is a heavier, stiffer boot intended for extended trekking with a moderate weight pack. This particular boot is Nubuck leather and mesh upper, so perhaps is less of a break-in than my Asolo all-leather boots. The Merrell I mentioned doesn't talk about a shank, so I don't know if it has one. I don't know if the Asolos I have have a shank either.

In addition to all of this, let me tell you that I have totally flat feet, and have a problem with my right great toe, which sometimes hurts when I try to flex it upwards as in running/walking. Dr. says that I have some arthritis in the toe, but the pain is mostly due to my flat foot, and the physics that prevent the toe from bending upwards. I always wear "Superfeet" insoles to boost my arches, and that does help quite a bit. I went on a 4-day trek in Harriman/Bear Mountain park last week, and did not have any issues with the Asolo boots so far as my feet are concerned, but the outsoles are worn, and I don't get enough grip on dry rock, let alone wet.

I may be looking for an animal that doesn't exist - a boot that is both supportive for a 35-40lb pack, and flexible enough to allow me to hike in them without much break-in.
So, before I trek to my outdoor store, I would like to get some advice from you experts who have hiked many miles and know a whole lot more than most sales people at the outdoor stores. I suspect that, even when they do know their stuff, they are pushed by corporate to sell certain products over others, so I might not get the boot I am looking for unless I go in with some knowledge of my own.

I am doing most of my hiking on the AT - presently in the NY to VT area, but hoping to someday do a thru-hike.

Thanks

Arden

cmoulder
11-09-2015, 13:02
Maybe resole the Asolos?

http://www.rmresole.com/Asolo-Hiking-Boot-Resole-Before-and-After.html

Arden
11-09-2015, 13:08
Maybe resole the Asolos?

http://www.rmresole.com/Asolo-Hiking-Boot-Resole-Before-and-After.html
That has been mentioned before, but I have decided not to do that. I'm ready for a bran-new pair.

Connie
11-09-2015, 13:20
I have seen more full-foot at the front of boots sold at discount camping stores.

These may give you the toe-box room you need.

They are boots for heavier persons, but flat feet might fit in those boots with the right socks.

cmoulder
11-09-2015, 16:20
That has been mentioned before, but I have decided not to do that. I'm ready for a bran-new pair.

Then how about new Asolos? What is important is the design/shape of the boot last, and apparently your feet agree with Asolo lasts.

http://tinyurl.com/oxrc66e These Asolo 'Fugitive' boots are a hybrid that might break in very quickly.

bwb49
11-09-2015, 17:35
If you ever decide to get boots resoled, try resoleamerica, I have used them several times and they do excellent work. They are located in Warranton, VA

http://www.resole.com/boots/hiking-boots

Venchka
11-09-2015, 18:26
Or Dave page The Cobbler in Seattle. GOOGLE has their address.

Try to find Lowa foot gear and try them on in person. Asolo isn't the only European company that understands foot gear for the trail.
Vasque too.

Wayne

Praha4
11-09-2015, 19:57
my suggestion would be Lowa Renegade GTX mids

Lowa makes quality footwear

squeezebox
11-09-2015, 22:47
my suggestion would be Lowa Renegade GTX mids

Lowa makes quality footwear
I agree worth looking at, but your feet are not the same as mine.

cmoulder
11-10-2015, 08:17
I agree worth looking at, but your feet are not the same as mine.

Exactly!

When my Vasque Sundowners wore out (uppers, soles... everything!) I wanted to give another brand a try. I'm all-in UL for the past couple of years — using Brooks Cascadia trail runners for 3-season — so I was looking for a winter boot. Tried on a bunch of boots at EMS and REI, eventually settling upon one of the Merrell models. But it wasn't quite right, grrr... Finally relented, went back and tried the Vasque Snowblime, which was perfect. Not to be a 'stick in the mud' about it, but what has worked in the past is often what will work again because a company is not going to alter proven designs that have sold well and kept customers happy for decades.

Arden
11-10-2015, 10:57
What I didn't like about the Asolo's I have, which are full leather upper, is that they took such a long time to break in. I need something I can start trekking in within a week or so. I am going to go to my outfitter this week, and try on several models. In the end, it will be what feels best on my feet, and gives me enough support to carry my pack.

Arden
11-10-2015, 18:57
Update:
I ended up with a pair of Lowa Camino GTX WXL. I compared these to a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX, which were about the same price. There were several reasons I chose the Lowa. One was that a couple of you guys suggested Lowa because they make a quality product. Another was that the sales person recommended these over the Asolo for section hiking rather than thru-hiking the AT. She said that the Asolo Fugitive GTX would be better for longer thru-hiking. I'm still not sure why. Perhaps the Asolo have a slightly harder sole, which might stand up better to repeated abuse? But when I did the "rock walk" at the store, these Lowa seemed to have better grip than the Asolo.
But perhaps the best reason is that my feet fell in love with these boots. They felt right as soon as I put them on (with thicker socks that I will be wearing for hiking), and walked around the store for about half hour. My feet were telling me that this was the right boot.
I really like the lacing system on these boots. It allows any combination of upper/lower tension, which I feel is extremely important. The Asolo Fugitive had a loop that you lace through to accomplish pretty much the same thing, but I think that the Lowa system is superior.
One thing I need to remember though, is that these boots have leather uppers, and need to be properly broken in before I do any serious hiking in them. The fact that they feel so good on my feet now could lead me to take to the trail before proper break-in, only leading to disappointment, so I will give them the proper treatment.
Another thing I have to get is the Nikwax to preserve the leather. I should have bought it at the store, but I forgot, and no one reminded me. So I'll either go back and buy it, or order it online.

These boots are giving me a lot more support in the ankle than the old Asolo were, but that could be due to the fact that the old boots were softening up? That said, I feel that these boots will give me more stability/control while on rugged terrain than anything I have ever worn. That could be due to the superior lacing system keeping the upper part of the boot tighter. While I was hiking over the four days on the AT in Harriman Park last week, I felt that the old boots weren't supporting my feet/ankles properly. I had tried lacing them tighter, but never did a double-lace system. Well, whatever - I managed pretty well considering. Now I am looking forward to my first trek in the new boots.
I have to thank you guys for all of the good info you provided, to guide me to making what I feel is the best choice for my feet and my needs.

BTW; how long is the break-in period for boots like these? I know the old Asolos took a very long time, but perhaps that was because I was doing the break-in on the trail, and not wearing them everyday.

Arden

shelb
11-10-2015, 23:50
Good luck with this!

I will say that my friend had foot problems on our summer section hike (110 miles in 8 days). She ended up picking up some shoe liners. They were NOT Dr. Sholls (not that they aren't ok). The liners she picked up were specifically targeted for "load and go" - no break-in. She said they made a tremendous difference. I wonder if they might help you???

Arden
11-11-2015, 14:59
Good luck with this!

I will say that my friend had foot problems on our summer section hike (110 miles in 8 days). She ended up picking up some shoe liners. They were NOT Dr. Sholls (not that they aren't ok). The liners she picked up were specifically targeted for "load and go" - no break-in. She said they made a tremendous difference. I wonder if they might help you???
I'm using Superfeet (green) in my boots, and my running shoes. They work for me, but I need to pay attention to their wear. If I use them too long, my feet begin to hurt again. I will say that my great toe problem is not a problem in the stiffer hiking boots; only in my running shoes, and mostly when I run on flat terrain. Hills and off-road are better.