PDA

View Full Version : How do you inflate your xtherm?

saltysack
11-09-2015, 12:15
I've always just blown up my xlites by mouth as instructed by manufacturer...but recently bought a xtherm for winter. It comes with pump sac, I've seen the video of the guy using a compactor bag but never tried it. Thinking it might be beneficial to keep moisture out of the pad for cold weather use.
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atmilkman
11-09-2015, 12:28
Try blowing through your bandana. There is resistance but it helps remove moisture. Move to a new spot every breath. Toilet paper, paper towel or anything like that will work. Use very deep and long slow breaths. Doesn't take hardly any longer and it eliminates all that fumbling around with bags and stuff. It works for me.

saltysack
11-09-2015, 12:51
Try blowing through your bandana. There is resistance but it helps remove moisture. Move to a new spot every breath. Toilet paper, paper towel or anything like that will work. Use very deep and long slow breaths. Doesn't take hardly any longer and it eliminates all that fumbling around with bags and stuff. It works for me.

Thx I'll try my buff...

TexasBob
11-09-2015, 13:12
.............I've seen the video of the guy using a compactor bag but never tried it.........Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any garbage bag will do and as dorky as it looks, it works great and a lot easier. I found a 5/8" ID rubber grommet at the hardware store that works well. The bag and grommet together weigh about 1.5 ounces.

Dogwood
11-09-2015, 14:47
Phuff. Phuff. Phuff. ahhh. ahhh. ahhh. Phuff. Phuff. Phuff. ahhh. ahhh............. Then, stand up real fast and run around a tree.

Vegan Packer
11-09-2015, 15:12
I have the pump sack for my XLite. It works well, but it is a pain to try to keep air from leaking back out while trying to close the valve. I am working on a remedy for this. Just awaiting the arrival of some parts for my project.

squeezebox
11-09-2015, 15:21
I asked pretty much the same question about a year ago and got pretty the same answers.

QHShowoman
11-09-2015, 16:26
There's this, for those of us who would rather pay to have such things made for us:
http://www.themillair.com/

HooKooDooKu
11-09-2015, 17:03
I wanted to keep moisture out of my pad because the reflective layer delaminated in my first NeoAir.

I tried the compacter bag method, but I just couldn't get a tight seal around the valve.

So instead, I took a light weight kitchen garbage bag, nipped a small hole in the corner, pushed the valve thru the hole and used a rubber band to hold it in place.
However, I got tired of dealing with the rubber band and replaced it with the Therm-a-rest AirTap (http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/accessories/neoair-airtap-pump/product).

I already use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner, so at first I tried using the AirTap with the compactor bag... especially since the AirTap can be closed (allowing the compactor bag to remain water proof even with the AirTap attached). But that meant I had to dump everything out of my trash compactor bag to use it to inflate the pad, so I went back to a dedicated light weight kitchen garbage bag... still using the AirTap to replace rubber bands.

Malto
11-09-2015, 17:28
I used to use a little pump but recently switched to just using my compacted bag. Worked surprisingly well.

Sandy of PA
11-09-2015, 22:14
I use a Big Agnes Pumpsack, the design is soft and allows me to close the valve easily. Five years old and only one patch.

saltysack
11-09-2015, 22:46
I used to use a little pump but recently switched to just using my compacted bag. Worked surprisingly well.

I assume you fill bag then attach w rubber band?

atmilkman
11-09-2015, 23:22

I forgot to tell you that I have a self-inflating mattress and only have to do this when it's cold. You can leave a self-inflator laying open for hours in the cold and not a lick of air is gonna get in. You have to physically or manually inflate it somehow and naturally warm breath in cold weather is going to create extra moisture. All good methods above.

Dogwood
11-09-2015, 23:28
There is no such beast as a self inflating sleeping pad.

atmilkman
11-09-2015, 23:33
(LOL) I got a Thermarest 40th Anniversary. It's like staying at a Holiday Inn Express. I've got a CS UL2. I want for nothing. (LOL)

HooKooDooKu
11-10-2015, 00:40
My original Therm-a-rest sleeping pads self inflate almost completely, even in cold weather. But they are heavy because the foam is solid.

Since I changed to Prolite pads where much of the foam has been cut out to save weight, the pads inflate by about 60-75% and require a few puffs of air to get fully inflated.

atmilkman
11-10-2015, 00:56
My original Therm-a-rest sleeping pads self inflate almost completely, even in cold weather. But they are heavy because the foam is solid.

Since I changed to Prolite pads where much of the foam has been cut out to save weight, the pads inflate by about 60-75% and require a few puffs of air to get fully inflated.

Yer lucky. Mine wont budge.

HooKooDooKu
11-10-2015, 03:02
Yer lucky. Mine wont budge.

Do you store them fully inflated?
When I get home, I open the valves of the prolites (my kids use them while I'm on my NeoAir) and let them sit for a few days. Then puff them fully inflated and close the valve for storage.

If you store them rolled up, like a stuffed sleeping bag will lose its loft, the foam will lose some of it rebound.

saltysack
11-10-2015, 07:02
When I get home, I open the valves of the prolites (my kids use them while I'm on my NeoAir) and let them sit for a few days. Then puff them fully inflated and close the valve for storage.

If you store them rolled up, like a stuffed sleeping bag will lose its loft, the foam will lose some of it rebound.

Thought I was the only sorry dad!! I use the neoair and my kid has a zlite....[emoji51]

Gambit McCrae
11-10-2015, 09:07
3oz battery operated blower

HooKooDooKu
11-10-2015, 11:00
Thought I was the only sorry dad!! I use the neoair and my kid has a zlite....[emoji51]
Kids are lighter weight and therefore don't need the thickness of the NeoAir...
However, because they have problems rolling up the ProLites tight enough, I wish they had NeoAirs... but they are just too expensive to buy them for multiple kids.

CarlZ993
11-10-2015, 18:32
I use the Thermarest Pump Sack. Adds about 3 oz to your pack weight. Inflates your pad really fast w/o adding moisture inside it.

cmoulder
11-10-2015, 18:43
Not available on the website right now, but I like <a href=http://flyweightdesigns.com/product/the-instaflator/>The Instaflator</a>, which I'm pretty sure has been mentioned previously on WB.

cmoulder
11-10-2015, 20:31
I sent an email to the manufacturer and was advised that the Instaflator is no longer being made.

Glad I bought 2 of 'em.

Just Bill
11-10-2015, 20:39
Beans and methane.
Feel free to borrow my pad.

atmilkman
11-11-2015, 01:02

Store fully inflated. Carry rolled up. After hiking all day, (in the cold) unroll, lay flat, open valve, and hour later still flat.

brian2o0o
11-12-2015, 17:44
The Thermarest Instaflator was just a rebranded Camptek Microburst. You can still buy the Microburst here: https://www.camp-tek.com/buy/index.html

brian2o0o
11-12-2015, 17:50
Disregard my last post, I was thinking that the Instaflator was the Thermarest mini pump...

kf1wv
11-12-2015, 18:35
Instaflator. The bag was overly long, so I shortened it a few feet.

saltysack
11-12-2015, 18:37
What's the trick using a compactor bag to fill xtherm...seem to take forever to fill my large...

swisscross
11-12-2015, 18:40
I use an umbrella bag from the grocery store.
Carry two and use them on my feet instead of bread bags.

Malto
11-12-2015, 19:45
I assume you fill bag then attach w rubber band?

No, I just close end around nozzle with hand. Like I said, worked surprising well and uses something I already carry.

saltysack
11-12-2015, 19:49
I use an umbrella bag from the grocery store.
Carry two and use them on my feet instead of bread bags.

Funny I was in grocery store yesterday and thought they would work instead of bread bags for p shoes....also used them as rain mitts...

squeezebox
11-12-2015, 20:10
Beans and methane.

When does the video showing you doing this come out?

squeezebox
11-12-2015, 20:15
Can the inflatables be stored rolled up?

saltysack
11-12-2015, 20:42
Only self inflating need to be stored partially blown up...neoair=no

JimmyTheSaint
11-14-2015, 01:59
I took the nozzle off the bag that came with it and put it on a regular kitchen trash bag... I've used it probably a hundred times or so and haven't had to replace the bag yet. It takes about 7 bag fulls of air and then a breath or two to top off.

poolskaterx
11-17-2015, 23:43
I have alwys used the inflation bag that came with my xtherm until the last trip... I blew it up by mouth and was inflated in less than a minute! 1/3 of the time it normally takes. My buddy just purchased the thermarest inflator and it took forever for his xtherm but it worked and was certainly not very loud as I had expected. Hope I didn't hurt my xtherm with my moist breath, pretty sure I didn't.

Scotch65
11-18-2015, 18:32
I use a schnozzel (exped) works great and then store my sleeping bag in it the rest of the time. 2oz / double duty as a stuff sack.

Harrison Bergeron
11-18-2015, 21:28
I struggled every night with my xtherm pumpsack on my AT section hike last Spring. It worked OK, I guess, but my hiking buddy had one of these: http://www.campsaver.com/thermarest-neoair-mini-pump. 1.5oz vs 2.3oz. In a world where battery powered pumps only weigh 8 ounces more than a stuff sack, why do they make pumpsacks? And why doesn't REI carry these things?

Vegan Packer
11-19-2015, 02:38
I have the pump sack for my XLite. It works well, but it is a pain to try to keep air from leaking back out while trying to close the valve. I am working on a remedy for this. Just awaiting the arrival of some parts for my project.

Problem: solved! Working on the video now. In short, I built a connector that converts an Exped Schnozzel Pump Sack so that it fits on the Thermarest connector, will still also work with Exped products, and weighs less than .5 ounces.

saltysack
11-19-2015, 07:15
I struggled every night with my xtherm pumpsack on my AT section hike last Spring. It worked OK, I guess, but my hiking buddy had one of these: http://www.campsaver.com/thermarest-neoair-mini-pump. 1.5oz vs 2.3oz. In a world where battery powered pumps only weigh 8 ounces more than a stuff sack, why do they make pumpsacks? And why doesn't REI carry these things?

I've thought about that mini pump.....$35 just seems high for such a limited use...2.3 oz is wo batteries I assume?

Just Bill
11-19-2015, 10:55
Beans and methane.

When does the video showing you doing this come out?

YouTube pulled it down.

Gambit McCrae
11-19-2015, 12:02
I have a thermo rest blower, its like 3 Oz and is one of my favorite luxury items ever

saltysack
11-19-2015, 12:23
I have a thermo rest blower, its like 3 Oz and is one of my favorite luxury items ever

Was looking at that...no store has I stock but think I'll try and order..$35 seems steep...tried using my compactor bag but seems like a pita...took forever for large..especially when you usually hike till after dark.

poolskaterx
11-19-2015, 20:35
The Therm a rest blower took about 3-4 min to blow up my friends large xtherm and was pretty quiet. I just cant justify one when it takes about the same time fussing with the included fill bag.

Vegan Packer
01-01-2016, 19:33
Here is a less than .5 ounce solution to the problem. It allows the Exped Pumpbag to inflate both Exped and Thermarest products.

https://youtu.be/mSwRi39hYYo

LittleJimmy
01-02-2016, 17:11
I ran across this ingenious $4 1.7 ounce fits4s-into-your-pocket inflator at Jason Klass' youtube channel. No batteries. Bought one, then bought another for backup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJLVYfg88TE

This has been around since 2008, well reviewed, backpackgeartest, etc. But seems out of stock everywhere at the moment, including Amazon.

I also ran across a DIY verson of this that cost me nothing, and uses any trash bag. I use very thin large black trash bags with it, along with a six inch piece of clear vinyl tubing to make it easier to maneuver with my XTherm when inflating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGW_b-sdGRc

Make it with a bottle cap and a hose washer. Pretty cool!

Weather-man
01-02-2016, 17:19
3oz battery operated blower

Got one as a stocking stuffer! My pride will now require me to walk a couple 100 yards away from other hikers to inflate my pad.

Cotton Terry
01-02-2016, 21:11
I have the XTherm and use the pump sac and it works fine. I'm curious as to why I would want to use a different method.

Puddlefish
01-02-2016, 23:40
Thermarest air tap pump kit. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NBF9Z8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Use in combination with a compactor bag/pack liner. Easy.

Vegan Packer
01-03-2016, 03:31
The problems that I have with the Thermarest: The valve/sack allows air to both go in or go out of the Thermarest mattress. Once I finally get the mattress to the point where it is getting on the full side, as soon as I go to refill the pumpsack for the next pump, air escapes from the mattress back into the pumpsack, no matter how carefully I try to hold the bag to prevent this from happening. Once I get it nearly completely full, it almost requires a third hand to finish it off. Other times, once I get it nearly full, I have had the pumpsack connector pop off due to the backpressure. Once the mattress is finally filled to where I want it, I have had issues with trying to keep air from exiting the mattress while also trying to twist the valve shut and while also dealing with the pumpsack, having to keep it from allowing the air to escape while also twisting the bag, and while trying to keep the whole thing from twisting around my wrist. Sure, I eventually get it, but it is a lot of extra effort that isn't necessary in better designs like in the Exped system that has one-way valves built into their mattresses.

On the other hand, I like my XLite more than the Exped mattress, so I need some kind of pumpsack that will work for that while also working for my Exped pillow. My little mod works on both brands, and it has a one-way valve built in. I can fill my XLite, take away the pump sack without having air escape from the mattress, and I can relax and take my time closing the valve. I get all of this for about .4 ounces. Watch the video.