PDA

View Full Version : Gps

mtntopper
11-09-2015, 17:10
Anybody using Gala gps on your I phone? What has been your experience with it? What software version do you have?

ChuckT
11-26-2015, 20:33
Did you mean "Gaia" by any chance?

mtntopper
11-26-2015, 23:34
Did you mean "Gaia" by any chance?

Yes thats what I meant.

ChuckT
11-27-2015, 06:57
I have Gaia on my Android (Galaxy Note3) along with MapQuest , OSMAndroid, Back Country Navigator, PDF Maps and Every Trail.
I use Gaia at least one a week. The only other GPS app I use more is the plug-in Garmin system I have in my truck.

At first I didn't think Gaia would be all that good because the reviews bragged about how well it worked on an Apple phone and I've got an active antipathy of cutsey Apple monikers.
But I've found Gaia to be the most straight forward and smoothest operating of the bunch.
I use it mostly to to monitor my naieborhood walks, occasionally on the road, and have consulted it hiking on the Foothills Trail.
As to that I have and use a dedicated handheld GPS reciever, a Garmin GPSMAP62ST with a 401 as a backup.
My rationale for carrying a handheld GPS is that thats what they are designed for while Gaia is on my cell phone and I use the cell to call my wife once I am off trail and still in the living😊, she worrys too much.
Were I king-of-the-world I'd have Gaia on a dedicated GPS about the size of my Note3 but with enough battery to last a continous 48 hours. And I'd still carry an extra battery.

I checked Gaia while I was hiking the down to Ellicot's Rock off the Foothills Trail and it did function, I had pre-loaded a local map, but put the cell away after that.

ChuckT
11-27-2015, 06:59
I pay attention to updates and keep the apps I use curent. Gaia is at 6.0.6