PDA

View Full Version : Older Leki Makalu Antishock trekking poles

Arden
11-09-2015, 19:43
Hi;
I bought a pair of Lekki Makalu Antishock trekking poles on Ebay. These are an older design, twist to unlock/lock. The antishock feature can be "turned off" by twisting the upper section of the pole CCW as you hold the pole upright. This happens automatically when you twist to unlock the section, but also does it on its own while trekking. While on a four day trek in Harriman Park NY, the antishock was disabled more times than not. I would always start out with it twisted so that antishock was active, but the pole would always tend to twist so that antishock was disabled.
I don't see a way to lock the poles into antishock mode. Does anyone else have this problem with this model?
Here's a photo of the pole:

Thanks for your help
Arden

elray
11-09-2015, 20:07
I bought these same sticks new a few years back and have experienced the same problem. At first I assumed that I was using them incorrectly by maybe twisting or placing them oddly but now I don't think so, I believe it's a design flaw. Yes it's annoying but not a game changer so I haven't pursued it with the manufacture, I simply check them often and correct when needed, my first trekkers were rigid so the static condition is no big deal. Call me complacent.

Arden
11-10-2015, 10:52
I bought these same sticks new a few years back and have experienced the same problem. At first I assumed that I was using them incorrectly by maybe twisting or placing them oddly but now I don't think so, I believe it's a design flaw. Yes it's annoying but not a game changer so I haven't pursued it with the manufacture, I simply check them often and correct when needed, my first trekkers were rigid so the static condition is no big deal. Call me complacent.
I agree with you in that this is not a game changer, but I find that after a long trek, the anti-shock feature does help, and especially when you're really leaning on the pole.
I have an idea to fix the problem. I will let you know if it works.

4Bears
11-11-2015, 23:35
I have a set of them and have had them at various times lock up in the rigid position and just kept walking and have them release and go back to the anti-shock position. A minor annoyance for me, but not worth whining about as I like the way they absorb the shock, much easier on my wrists and hands. I have had fewer problems after taking them apart and cleaning them up, so you might want to try that.

handlebar
11-12-2015, 11:03
You might check the Leki web page. They have links to a number of instructional videos and I think I remember one on anti-shock use. You could also call their customer service. It's hard to find a number on the web page, but if you Google "Leki Buffalo NY", you'll find the number. The customer service folks at Leki have been very helpful to me going as far as sending replacement sections to me on the trail via Priority Mail at Leki's expense.

Arden
11-13-2015, 12:48
Thanks for the advice;
I'll try an e-mail/web contact before I attempt phone. I'll also try cleaning them.

Rex Clifton
11-13-2015, 13:12
I have these same poles and have not had a problem with the latest locking mechanism but they did slip. I replaced the friction nuts and now they are as good as new. Are you sure they are not slipping and locking up? To check for slippage, twist the poles reasonably tight ( don't overdo it) and press strsight down hard on the pole. If they slip, change the nuts and I'll bet that will fix your problem.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Starchild
11-13-2015, 14:27
Had the same issue, unwanted changing of antishock feature on and off while hiking. No biggie really, just a minor annoyance. I just learned to ignore it.

Arden
11-13-2015, 18:53
I don't think my problem is the friction nuts. They will slip downward a bit if I land hard on them, but do not twist, thus the anti-shock remains on. What is happening is that there is a detent, so when you twist the middle section against the upper it locks or unlocks. It takes almost no torque to twist and thus disengage the anti-shock mechanism.
It really isn't a problem, but I have my misgivings about having purchased this pair of poles second-hand. I should have gone for the new design, which is supposed to be far superior. My next set will definitely be bran-new.

Maui Rhino
11-13-2015, 20:49
I had some poles with the anti-shock feature. I came to hate it because they squeaked each time I planted the pole, and I couldn't lock it out to not move. Personally I'll never buy anti-shock poles again.

Arden
11-14-2015, 10:36
For me, it's more the fact that something doesn't function as intended, not the loss of the feature that has got me peeved.

Rex Clifton
11-14-2015, 14:34
I like the anti-shock feature, personal preference. The only time I lock them is on steep acents or decents.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Arden
11-15-2015, 12:07
Interesting; I am trying to access Leki's site but it appears to be down. Won't even return ping at www.leki.com. I went to leki.co.uk and was able to send an e-mail about the poles.
Honestly, I don't think there is anything Leki can or will do about this. It appears to be the pole's design, as it is exactly the same in both poles. I am going to attempt to fix it myself. If it works, I'll post a description with photos of the fix.

Arden
11-27-2015, 11:07
What an abortion this project has turned out to be. I just couldn't leave well enough alone. I decided I would modify the poles so that the anti-shock was locked on. I removed the plastic bushing things from the tops of the middle poles. These parts are not intended to be removed - they are held in place with four divots in the pole, which create pressure points inside to hold the plastic parts. I had trouble originally with one of these, where the pole would not loosen because this part was turning as I twisted the pole to unlock it. So I drilled and tapped one of these divots to hold the part to the pole. That worked fine.
To figure out how I might be able to modify the anti-shock feature, I removed these plastic parts, and tried to block the slot that runs horizontally, which prevents the pin from sliding down the slot as you push against the spring on top, forcing anti-shock to off position.
I was not successful in doing this, so I re-assembled the poles. They are working OK, but I did have an issue with the pole sections slipping as I was trekking. This is the most frequently reported complaint with this design - and the reason for the speed-lock system.
So I am thinking about buying bran-new poles, and came across these Vorosy on Amazon for $50 /pair.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y82IYGI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=AHSEAQGF79OIQ
So I'm going to buy a pair of these, and keep the old Leki as backup or when a friend needs a pair of poles.

After all said and done, buying the used poles on Ebay was a mistake, but it prompted me to purchase a good bench vise, which is something I had wanted for a long time.
For better or for worse, it is my nature to mess with things when they don't work exactly as I desire. I do the same thing with my computer, often leading to re-installing the OS. In the process, I always learn something, so whatever time and money I have spent is never completely wasted.

Arden