PDA

View Full Version : Tent vs Hammock

jorge99s
11-09-2015, 22:11
I'm considering investing in a hammock system and I'm trying to gather opinions from other regarding the pros and cons of hammocks. I currently use a BA Copper Spur UL1 and have been looking at hammocks from various cottage shops. I'm planning a section hike for next spring and want to get set on my sleep system soon. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

chknfngrs
11-09-2015, 22:36
Try using a hammock before buying one to see if it's something you can swing

4shot
11-10-2015, 07:44
After years of tenting, I have been experimenting with hammocks for the last 2 years. It has pros/cons so I have not completely gotten rid of my tent and pad. Go to hammock forums. You can learn more than you ever thought possible by going to that site. If there is a get together nearby to you, you may get an opportunity to "test drive" one. Be a little careful when reading that site, some people are 'over the top" in their enthusiasm. I bought a hammock for my wife when I got mine and she never got adjusted to sleeping in a hammock so I sold hers.

It took me a good while (maybe 7-10 nights) to adjust to sleeping in one fwiw. If you are a stomach sleeper, I don't think you would like one. A back sleeper? Definitely would. You need good insulation under the hammock in addition to your sleeping bag to be comfortable, even on relatively warm evenings (60-65* F).I do like that I can quickly set up the hammock or tarp during the day as needed for a place to rest or a cooking shelter. Hope this helps.

daddytwosticks
11-10-2015, 08:07
Loved the idea and concept of hammock hanging. Tried it twice, including buying some top of the line stuff at the time (Warbonnet). I'm such a restless sleeper, I just couldn't hack it in the air. Plus there was a lot of fiddle factor in its setup, but that could have been since I was still a newbie. :)

baumfamily
11-10-2015, 08:30
I started out at Springer in 2014 with a tent and after 3 nights called my wife and told her to ship my hammock to Hiawassee. Slept great in it the rest of the hike. I got off the trail at the 393 mile mark. Never had any issues finding a place to hang. Found places where a tent would not have worked. Setup and take down can be easier than a tent.

Monkeywrench
11-10-2015, 09:14
I hammocked my entire thru in 2009. Never had a problem finding a place to hang. After a while set-up and take down were simple habit, just like setting up and striking a tent will be once you've done it a few times. Very soon I could walk into a campsite and the two "right" trees were self-evident at the merest glance.

For me the hammock is far more comfortable than a tent. It also gives me a place to sit and lounge while cooking and eating. And 2009 was a very wet year so it was nice to hang up above the soggy muddy ground.

The only down side I can see would be if you met that special someone on the trail, since a hammock is necessarily a solo abode. But I'm married and was hiking without my wife, so that wasn't a consideration for me.

Red Cinema
11-10-2015, 12:03
The fiddle factor must be experienced to be understood. With tents, not very many setup/take downs are required to get the hang of it. Then ground selection (drainage! rocks? roots?) is your main concern. With hammocks, a few inches more or less slack in your "hang" can make or break your comfort for the evening. And then you get to fiddle with insulation. :) See _The Ultimate Hang_ and as mentioned Hammock Forums, in particular look for the how-to videos by a guy named Shug. Whooo buddy!

Lnj
11-10-2015, 12:08
My husband and I hiked grandfather mountain a couple weekends ago. He is a hammocker and I have a tent. He is also a retired Army drill sergeant. He swears he loves his hammock and its the perfect set up and he is so comfortable and warm and yada, yada, yada. It was cold and windy on the mountain. He was sweaty from the hike. He didn't make it through the first night in the hammock. He climbed in the tent with me and didn't even attempt the hammock the 2nd night. It may be a great thing, but there are certain advantages to having your body on the ground.

Just Bill
11-10-2015, 12:36
I'm considering investing in a hammock system and I'm trying to gather opinions from other regarding the pros and cons of hammocks. I currently use a BA Copper Spur UL1 and have been looking at hammocks from various cottage shops. I'm planning a section hike for next spring and want to get set on my sleep system soon. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Hammock Forum members are very active in the southeast- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php/113-Southeast

Get out and try them- the worst thing about a hammock is that unless you go with an overbuilt (too heavy to pack) monster- they are like shoes or clothes and very personal. If you can find a group hang or other demo you'll save a ton of time and frustration.

SouthMark
11-10-2015, 13:22
The fiddle factor must be experienced to be understood. With tents, not very many setup/take downs are required to get the hang of it. Then ground selection (drainage! rocks? roots?) is your main concern. With hammocks, a few inches more or less slack in your "hang" can make or break your comfort for the evening. And then you get to fiddle with insulation. :) See _The Ultimate Hang_ and as mentioned Hammock Forums, in particular look for the how-to videos by a guy named Shug. Whooo buddy!

I spent two nights on Roan Mountain in my hammock. Low was 2 degrees and wind was over 30 mph. Snow was about 2 foot deep. I was warm, cozy and comfortable both nights.

SouthMark
11-10-2015, 13:24
My husband and I hiked grandfather mountain a couple weekends ago. He is a hammocker and I have a tent. He is also a retired Army drill sergeant. He swears he loves his hammock and its the perfect set up and he is so comfortable and warm and yada, yada, yada. It was cold and windy on the mountain. He was sweaty from the hike. He didn't make it through the first night in the hammock. He climbed in the tent with me and didn't even attempt the hammock the 2nd night. It may be a great thing, but there are certain advantages to having your body on the ground.

I quoted the wrong post:

I spent two nights on Roan Mountain in my hammock. Low was 2 degrees and wind was over 30 mph. Snow was about 2 foot deep. I was warm, cozy and comfortable both nights.

bikebum1975
11-10-2015, 14:00
Haven't slept in mine as of yet for lounging yeah worth it. I do dig how fast they are to setup compared to a tent yes I have both. Also doubtful I'll give up my tent either.

Dochartaigh
11-10-2015, 14:25
After two seasons of hammock camping, I have to say the biggest challenge for me is site selection. On a section hike where you can setup camp (for the most part) where ever in the forest you want it's not a problem. But if you more often camp in areas where you have to reserve a site in advance hammock camping can be the biggest pain ever. I don't know how many sites I booked where even when the crappy pictures ReserveAmerica.com shows you led me to believe there was suitable trees on the site - many times there just wasn't and I had to sleep in a tent.

Fiddle factor is also huge for me, even two seasons in. It still takes me literally 10 times longer to setup my hammock how I like it (basically to get the angle correct so I'm not falling towards one end of the hammock) vs. a tent. I still love my hammock, but with my new tent, sleeping pad, and pillow I've upgraded to in this last season sometimes it's just not worth it to bring the hammock (well, the hammock I sleep in at least - I always bring a very lightweight and small hammock to lounge around in regardless ;)

perdidochas
11-10-2015, 14:43

I'd try out hammocking with a cheap homemade hammock, using a poly tarp for shelter, and your sleeping bag and a closed foam pad for insulation. Sleep a couple of nights and decide if hammocking is for you. That's what I did, and I've been hammocking about 5 years (have upgraded the hammock and the tarp, though, still use sleeping bag and foam pad).

This is a good site to start:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

Another is www.hammockforums.net

Hangfire
11-10-2015, 15:28
I was very curious about hammocks out on the trail and talked to everyone I could about their thoughts and theories. They sure look comfortable and every hammock user I talked to absolutely loved sleeping in em. Some of the drawbacks that I saw was that with a full kit including an under quilt (during cold weather) was a bit on the heavy side and there were complaints on cold nights of getting a cold butt. Also when it rained you were either in your hammock or you were in the shelter, this leaves you with not much room for getting dressed or getting out of wet cloths and getting dry. I suppose this is why I loved the tent so much, it was more than just a covered bed, it was your shelter and you could change cloths, get organized, even take a baby wipe bath and check for ticks in an easy comfortable sheltered space, something that to me would seem difficult to do in a hammock.

Dochartaigh
11-10-2015, 15:40
I was very curious about hammocks out on the trail and talked to everyone I could about their thoughts and theories. They sure look comfortable and every hammock user I talked to absolutely loved sleeping in em. Some of the drawbacks that I saw was that with a full kit including an under quilt (during cold weather) was a bit on the heavy side and there were complaints on cold nights of getting a cold butt. Also when it rained you were either in your hammock or you were in the shelter, this leaves you with not much room for getting dressed or getting out of wet cloths and getting dry. I suppose this is why I loved the tent so much, it was more than just a covered bed, it was your shelter and you could change cloths, get organized, even take a baby wipe bath and check for ticks in an easy comfortable sheltered space, something that to me would seem difficult to do in a hammock.

Hangfire, with a proper hammock tarp with doors (which is what most people use when they want full rain/wind coverage), with the tarp doors closed, all that people can see of you from the outside is your ankles, maybe knees down. The rest of you is covered so there's plenty of privacy.

Also, if you're under 200 pounds or so you can easily get away with a regular (and lighter) single-layer hammock and the weight is either equal to or maybe ~6 ounces over something like a Tarp Tent + sleeping pad + sleeping bag. It's only when you're comparing something like a $600 ZPacks tent (or a simple plain tarp) where the tent setup will almost always come out lighter.

Rain Man
11-10-2015, 16:41
Pros and cons and personal preference. I tented about a decade and now have hammocked about a decade. There's no looking back for me. Sure there's a learning curve to hammocking, but it's manageable.

Some "pros" to hammocking?
Comfort, not only sleeping, but resting, and sitting.
Can set up most anywhere tents can't go.
Can set up/break down under your rainfly without getting wet.
Easy to set up without deploying the rainfly (use snake skins), so can watch moon and stars.
Cooler in the summer.
Your dog can sleep under you, without messing up your tent.
You're off the ground, away from critters.
Easy to set up stove and cook while sitting in hammock.
Plenty of options/flexibility with rainflies. Can change out for summer, winter, rain, good weather, bad weather.
Can set up on ground if necessary.

4shot
11-10-2015, 20:48
In summary, you won't know until you try it for yourself. When you do, you will either like it or not. It's like everything else gear related. Other people's opinions don't really matter at the end of the day.

Uncle Joe
11-10-2015, 21:01
Try using a hammock before buying one to see if it's something you can swing

I see what you did there. :)

Connie
11-10-2015, 22:15
I would think if you are a restless sleeper, or, change sleeping position often, you may not be able to get restful sleep in a hammock. On the other hand, if you sleep like a log, just get on the diagonal for a flat lay position in a hammock.

Once you know that you sleep well in a hammock or sleep better on the ground, proceed with plans to get gear.

Slo-go'en
11-10-2015, 23:55
I'm going to get the lightest hammock I can find just to use for afternoon siestas. That should work out well during June in NJ and NY to take a break from the afternoon heat in comfort. For overnight, I'll stick to the tent.

xMagnolia
11-11-2015, 00:16
I would think if you are a restless sleeper, or, change sleeping position often, you may not be able to get restful sleep in a hammock. On the other hand, if you sleep like a log, just get on the diagonal for a flat lay position in a hammock.

It's BECAUSE I'm a restless sleeper, and a side sleeper, that I love my hammock. I can roll from side to side and wake up without bruises on my hips and I can sleep through the night without worrying about rolling over the lumpy spot on the ground. I have a Big Agnes sleeping bag which keeps my pad and covers where they belong, when it gets cold, I add a liner and a warm base layer of clothes and I'm more than toasty. Haven't done any real winter snowy stuff, yet, though, but I have no doubt an under quilt would be enough, and if I were in a tent, I would add the same as an extra layer either above or below

Connie
11-11-2015, 07:25
..that is not my experience in my hammock.
..you find a sleeping bag works for you in a hammock, then, not overcompressing the down insulation in the sleeping bag, or, are you using a synthetic sleeping bag?

pjsong
11-11-2015, 11:39
Tent v. hammock is a very preferential and I agree with the previous comments that it will be difficult to assess without personally trying.

MoeTCrow
11-12-2015, 00:20
The fiddle factor must be experienced to be understood...... With hammocks, a few inches more or less slack in your "hang" can make or break your comfort for the evening.
A quick fix for this...
once you figure out the amount of slack you like, tie a ridge line between the two hammock ends. If you tie it so that this line is tight each time, you know exactly how tight the suspension should be.

also for those of you just checking it out, you can make one for testing with just about anything, I've even seen them made out of a blue tarp and another out of old bedsheets. Then you can use your current pad if you get a cold backside. It's like a drug you can get started cheap, but it can get expensive as you start to play more.

xMagnolia
11-12-2015, 01:46
..that is not my experience in my hammock.
..you find a sleeping bag works for you in a hammock, then, not overcompressing the down insulation in the sleeping bag, or, are you using a synthetic sleeping bag?

The Big Agnes bag has a pocket for the pad on the bottom, all of the "bag" part is on the top, around the neck, shoulders, and head. There is no insulation to compress. My thermorest neolite goes in the pocket and keeps everything from twisting around or falling out during the night. It zips up snug around the shoulders, but not so tight that I'm claustrophobic, i can still roll from side to side.

Lnj
11-12-2015, 15:11
I quoted the wrong post:

I really think he should have had a pad under him too, which is what I hear on here a lot. He was trying to pack ultralight so he skipped it. I think that's what hurt him. I am just really glad I got the TT DOUBLE Moment though. We were snug, but had enough room and we stayed warm and dry. It was awesome and it's a good back up for him if something comes up with the hammock. I personally just like having my own little "room" or space to keep my stuff with me and change clothes and such. Swinging between the trees at night makes me feel way too exposed.

Ender
11-12-2015, 17:20
I've done the hammock thing, loved it, super comfortable. That said, in the end after years of hammocking (including a goodly chunk of the PCT with one), I've ended up back in a tent. Mainly it boiled down to space inside... I just like having most/all of my stuff inside the tent with me. And that just isn't practical with a hammock (well, most hammocks). Also, weight was a factor, as I was able to cut a bit by switching back to a tent.

I'm not at all knocking hammocking, I still love it and do it from time to time. And without question hammocking is still (for me) the most comfortable sleep. But with the new super thick inflatable pads like the NeoAir and such, that's not nearly as big of a comfort gap as it used to be. And I do miss the "I can camp ANYWHERE" feeling of carrying a hammock, side of a mountain, over a flowing stream, marshy ground, anywhere. But yeah, it's nice to be back in a tent.

So that's my personal journey with tenting --> hammocking --> tenting. YMMV.

tflaris
11-12-2015, 22:06
Hammock seems to work best for me. Sore back from sleeping on the ground even with a pad.

If you go Hammock invest in top and bottom quilt.

Just my 2 cents

TF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SouthMark
11-12-2015, 22:25
I really think he should have had a pad under him too, which is what I hear on here a lot. He was trying to pack ultralight so he skipped it. I think that's what hurt him. I am just really glad I got the TT DOUBLE Moment though. We were snug, but had enough room and we stayed warm and dry. It was awesome and it's a good back up for him if something comes up with the hammock. I personally just like having my own little "room" or space to keep my stuff with me and change clothes and such. Swinging between the trees at night makes me feel way too exposed.

I had no pad under me.

tflaris
11-16-2015, 15:26
There is something to be said for your own private space.

TF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rex Clifton
11-16-2015, 16:53
I recommend you buy a cheap (but good) hammock and trick it out yourself. You will not be making a big investment but will learn the ropes to see if hammocking is for you. Two good choices are the Dutchware hammocks and from Simply Light Designs. Just buy the hammock and tree straps, get some 7/64th Amsteel and make your own whoopie slings (there are a bunch of YouTube videos that detail this). You total cost will come in at around $50.00. If you decide hammocking is for you, then you can buy the rest of the gear needed.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk