PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Rt. 522 (Chester Gap)

Rmcpeak
11-10-2015, 08:49
I'd like to leave my car at or near the Rt. 522 trailhead (Chester Gap just outside of SNP). There is a lot at 522. Is it safe? Is there a better alternative?

Coffee
11-10-2015, 10:53
Check this out. I've never parked there but if I was going to park in that vicinity I'd pick this over the 522 lot:

http://www.nova4h.com/appalachian-trail/

FloydBanks
11-10-2015, 12:15
Give Mike a call. He runs the Hostel right at the trailhead at Chester Gap. I've used him for a shuttle before and left my car at his place for a few days while I hiked back to it. I wouldn't be surprised if he would let you park there. Could even use him for a lift back to it if needed. $1/mile if I remember correctly.

Mike Evans - Terrapin Station
Phone: 5406310777
Email: [email protected]

304 Chester Gap Rd
Chester Gap VA 22623

Rmcpeak
11-10-2015, 12:31
Yeah, I e-mailed Mike but got no response. I'll try calling.

Rmcpeak
11-10-2015, 12:32
Check this out. I've never parked there but if I was going to park in that vicinity I'd pick this over the 522 lot:

http://www.nova4h.com/appalachian-trail/

That looks promising. Maybe I can tent there the night I drive in... Will inquire. Thanks a bunch.

Rmcpeak
11-11-2015, 19:58
Give Mike a call. He runs the Hostel right at the trailhead at Chester Gap. I've used him for a shuttle before and left my car at his place for a few days while I hiked back to it. I wouldn't be surprised if he would let you park there. Could even use him for a lift back to it if needed. $1/mile if I remember correctly.

Mike Evans - Terrapin Station
Phone: 5406310777
Email: [email protected]

304 Chester Gap Rd
Chester Gap VA 22623

Excellent dude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

u.w.
11-12-2015, 00:03
In 2015, I've left my subaru parked there for multiple days, and a friend has left his jeep (soft top) parked there for multiple days - neither of us had any issues what so ever.

u.w.

Rmcpeak
11-12-2015, 12:55
In 2015, I've left my subaru parked there for multiple days, and a friend has left his jeep (soft top) parked there for multiple days - neither of us had any issues what so ever.

u.w.
At Rt 522?

Studlintsean
11-12-2015, 17:11
I'd like to leave my car at or near the Rt. 522 trailhead (Chester Gap just outside of SNP). There is a lot at 522. Is it safe? Is there a better alternative?

I seem to remember you asking about this a week or two ago. Did you never hear back from Sharon from Sharon Shuttles? She offers a free bunk room (donations welcome) and shuttles in the park.

johnnybgood
11-12-2015, 18:51
This location has seen vandalism in the past 5 years or so , not saying it isn't safe, but truly one does park at their own risk no matter where.
The first thing I suggest to do is try contacting the AT Conservancy in Harper's Ferry and ask about trailside parking regarding any possible incidents at that location.
If anyone knows this information, they do ; call - 304.535.6331 or Email : [email protected]
Helpful hints on parking include never leaving anything of value in your vehicle. I advocate locking the doors
Also : Look for houses and/or businesses nearby that have a window(s) facing the trailhead parking area and also possible street lights .

Another option : If THERE IS a business within short walking distance that has a well lite parking lot politely ask them if they would allow you to park on their property for the night.
Tell them that you would not hold them liable for any vandalism, etc. that may occur to your vehicle. I'd sign a waiver releasing them from that responsibility.

Rmcpeak
11-12-2015, 19:43
Sharon's daughter is shuttling me and I have several options for secure and private parking. Still no cheap crash options (Sharon and Terrapin closed and Cabbin booked) but I might just catch a few hours sleep at 522 parking before I move car to private secure parking.

Rmcpeak
11-12-2015, 19:45
The joys of section hiking.