PDA

View Full Version : Pot plus mug?

gunther11
11-10-2015, 09:57
I'm one of those funny persons who does like a coffee every morning and still trying to get a hot cerial mix...
I just wonder if I should pack a mug and pot (!!)

I just like to drink some warm tea in the evening while cooking some soup :-)

what doi you think

Odd Man Out
11-10-2015, 11:13
I too always have coffee in the AM and tea in the PM. I've started using one of these as my coffee/tea cup. I then cook in my pot. These have a thin foam insulation and a lid. Weigh less than any other cup I could find. Doesn't have a handle so it pack inside the pot. I like the size. A lot of camping mugs are bigger than I need. I think it holds about 11 oz, which is good for coffee/tea.

squeezebox
11-10-2015, 11:43
If it makes you happy bring it, it's only a few oz. Do remember double walled mugs weigh more, cost more, and you can't heat water in one.

fastfoxengineering
11-10-2015, 13:54
I've thought about adding a snow peak double wall 300ml mug stacking mug. The sleek one without the handles. I also want the sipper lid for it. Overall it ends up weighing in at a whopping 3.8oz or so. I haven't pulled the trigger but after these past few years of cutting and cutting weight from my pack.... I'm starting to give myself back 1lb of luxury items. My goal baseweight for the AT is at or under 10lbs with a few luxuries like a nice coffee mug. To me having a cook pot, a mug, and spoon make sense when it's my only kitchen for months on end. I actually just havent purchased it because of the $40 price tag. One day... And not being able to put it on a stove because it's double wall doesn't bother me. I shall boil water in my cook pot and add to cup. An insulated cup that is.

There's something to be said about what some small "luxuries" can do for your hike rather than leaving that "dead" weight behind.

fastfoxengineering
11-10-2015, 14:01
I should add...

In all seriousness, one of my best experiences in the back country and it happens often is on those crisp evenings sitting with a warm cup of hot chocolate and watching the sunset. Or on those nippy mornings watching the sunrise with a hot cup of coffee.

Truly is one of my favorite things to experience routinely on the trail.

Vegan Packer
11-10-2015, 14:55
I use the freezer bag cooking method. I prep my meal and my hot beverage at the same time, and I place them in a cozy for rehydration and to keep them warm. To consume the meal or the beverage, I remove the bag from the cozy, place it in my mug, and I consume if from the bag, using the mug as a holder. My food never actually touches the mug.

So far, I am okay with consuming one thing at a time, leaving the second item in the cozy until its turn. I still have my water bottles for drinking, if I need to drink with my meal. Otherwise, my normal practice is to have my hot beverage after.

If weight were not a consideration, I'd carry both, but I am still carrying a heavier pack, and this is one of the areas where I decided to save some weight. If your priority is to enjoy your meal without having to deal with consuming one thing at a time, enjoy yourself, and don't worry about a small weight penalty.

Starchild
11-10-2015, 15:01
It's nice to have both, even a cheap plastic/foam cup that mac and cheese came in for a cup.

For shorter hikes I bring a Toaks 550 pot which does both and has a decent mug shape, but the longer the hike the more I want 2 items.

Just Bill
11-10-2015, 15:10
I use a ziplok twist lock to FBC in.
So I typically boil a pot of water, pour off the portion needed for food into the tub, and then drink coffee or tea from my pot.

I like going that route as if I'm packing up or doing chores and my coffee or tea gets cold I can rewarm it easily.

Ziplock is about 4 oz if I remember right, I prefer the quart sized one for dinner sized meals but they make a 2 cup version too. You can make a reflectix cozy for these so they double as an insulated mug if you want to reverse the process (tea while cooking in your pot at dinner).

I like this system better than the added mug... never been happy with the one pot deal really.

Malto
11-10-2015, 19:40
I use a ziplok twist lock to FBC in.
So I typically boil a pot of water, pour off the portion needed for food into the tub, and then drink coffee or tea from my pot.

I like going that route as if I'm packing up or doing chores and my coffee or tea gets cold I can rewarm it easily.

Ziplock is about 4 oz if I remember right, I prefer the quart sized one for dinner sized meals but they make a 2 cup version too. You can make a reflectix cozy for these so they double as an insulated mug if you want to reverse the process (tea while cooking in your pot at dinner).

I like this system better than the added mug... never been happy with the one pot deal really.

Since I want to be just like Just Bill, I do the exact same method. :)

Just Bill
11-10-2015, 19:51
Since I want to be just like Just Bill, I do the exact same method. :)
That's convenient... I aspire to be more like you.
Damn handy to meet in the middle ;)

Maui Rhino
11-10-2015, 20:05
Since this isn't the UL forum.... I'm a big fan of my GSI Halulite Minimalist. I'm one of those that like to have my moca or coffee with my food, not after. It comes with a very good coozie and sipper lid. Pair it with a 4 Dog Night Ti lid and it makes a great 0.6L pot as well.

capehiker
11-10-2015, 23:14
I am a pot and mug guy, myself. I can't be swayed to go to a single vessel, even though I'm kinda on the gram weenie spectrum of weight consciousness. I have two mugs I choose from. A Keith's 350ml mug or MiniBullDesigns QMH cup. Both are sub 2oz (1.9oz and 1.7 respectively) without lids and both are great mugs. The Keith is a traditional mug while the QMH mug is fun and eclectic.

I'm not trying to shill my YouTube channel, but I do have a first look video of the Keith mug and in it, compare its weight and price to the other big name mugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3uR2w4QIoo

PackHorse
11-11-2015, 00:24
Sometimes I add a mug, other times I actually add a wide mouth Thermos (about 8" high) instead of the mug. Having it allows me to have tea throughout the day and night without relighting the stove. Also use it to rehydrate food.
I try to offset the weight with lighter stove, repackaging food, and not needing my cozy.
Like a lot of people, I change out what I take depending on weather, where I'm going, how long I'm gone, how far between campsites, and how fast I want to hike. Tent or hammock, alcohol or gas, camp shoes or not... decisions, decisions.

Linda

Kookork
11-11-2015, 01:56
I am a pot and mug guy, myself. I can't be swayed to go to a single vessel, even though I'm kinda on the gram weenie spectrum of weight consciousness. I have two mugs I choose from. A Keith's 350ml mug or MiniBullDesigns QMH cup. Both are sub 2oz (1.9oz and 1.7 respectively) without lids and both are great mugs. The Keith is a traditional mug while the QMH mug is fun and eclectic.

I'm not trying to shill my YouTube channel, but I do have a first look video of the Keith mug and in it, compare its weight and price to the other big name mugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3uR2w4QIoo

Nice informative video Capehiker.

Casey & Gina
11-11-2015, 04:38
I carry a 450ml mug, a 1100ml pot, and a 1600ml pot.

Five Tango
11-11-2015, 19:50
The Snowpeak 600 nests perfectly inside my 10 cm IMUSA pot and holds the alcohol stove with no problem.Correction-it's a TWELVE CM Imusa pot.Sorry....

Connie
11-11-2015, 19:54
I have repeatedly caught myself drinking only half a cup of coffee.

I like the taste. I like a hot drink.

I like my coffee after dinner (after the meal).

And so, one hot water cookpot "works for me".

If I did have a second container, it could be 4-6 ounces. Not more.

squeezebox
11-11-2015, 20:29
I carry a 450ml mug, a 1100ml pot, and a 1600ml pot.

I'm curious why 2 pots?

Casey & Gina
11-11-2015, 21:34
Usually the 1100ml pot is adequate but sometimes the larger one is nicer for doing more at once - sometimes making one nice big pot of food at once for two people is nice. The wider base means more efficient capture of stove heat. Also the larger pot has a bail which is handy for using over an open fire. When resupplying I intend to get at least one big meal's worth of heavier fresh foods that take more time to cook where more pot space is also a benefit, whereas the 1100 is good for most other times. Also the 1600 has a 145mm diameter pan lid which is a lot more useful than the size that fits the 1100 (115mm) - I carry flat lids for the 1100 and cup. There are also non-cooking uses for a second pot. Everything nests together along with a wood gasifier stove and alcohol burner. It's all titanium so pretty lightweight. All told including a couple spoons, lighter, alcohol bottle (empty), stuff sacks, scouring pad, collapsible sink, and some other odd ends, my entire luxurious kitchen shared by two people is about 1.75lbs and all fits inside the 1600ml pot so is nice and compact.

Connie
11-11-2015, 21:42
I hadn't really thought about it.. I have a Vargo 750 Sierra that has 750 ml capacity.

I use FBC freezer bag cooking technique, and use leftover water for cleanup.

I could just as easily have coffee, cocoa or hot soup.

scrabbler
11-11-2015, 22:26
I too always have coffee in the AM and tea in the PM. I've started using one of these as my coffee/tea cup. I then cook in my pot. These have a thin foam insulation and a lid. Weigh less than any other cup I could find. Doesn't have a handle so it pack inside the pot. I like the size. A lot of camping mugs are bigger than I need. I think it holds about 11 oz, which is good for coffee/tea.

Is Cream of Broccoli the key here? I tried that with a Chicken Noodle and there was nothing I tried that could get rid of the soup smell from the cup.

Odd Man Out
11-11-2015, 23:15
Is Cream of Broccoli the key here? I tried that with a Chicken Noodle and there was nothing I tried that could get rid of the soup smell from the cup.

Not sure which kind I have. I just pulled a random pic from the web. I crubbwd it real well and it worked for me. Maybe I just have low standards or no taste buds.

squeezebox
11-11-2015, 23:46
Usually the 1100ml pot is adequate but sometimes the larger one is nicer for doing more at once - sometimes making one nice big pot of food at once for two people is nice. The wider base means more efficient capture of stove heat. Also the larger pot has a bail which is handy for using over an open fire. When resupplying I intend to get at least one big meal's worth of heavier fresh foods that take more time to cook where more pot space is also a benefit, whereas the 1100 is good for most other times. Also the 1600 has a 145mm diameter pan lid which is a lot more useful than the size that fits the 1100 (115mm) - I carry flat lids for the 1100 and cup. There are also non-cooking uses for a second pot. Everything nests together along with a wood gasifier stove and alcohol burner. It's all titanium so pretty lightweight. All told including a couple spoons, lighter, alcohol bottle (empty), stuff sacks, scouring pad, collapsible sink, and some other odd ends, my entire luxurious kitchen shared by two people is about 1.75lbs and all fits inside the 1600ml pot so is nice and compact.

2 people 2 pots that makes sense. Tell me more about the wood gasifer stove. I'ld love to have a big brick one to heat the house with.

Five Tango
11-12-2015, 10:13
The Snowpeak 600 nests perfectly inside my 10 cm IMUSA pot and holds the alcohol stove with no problem.

CORRECTION! I went and measured my IMUSA and it is indeed a 12CM pot that the Snowpeak is nested in.Can't locate the 10 for some reason right now.Hope nobody was inconvenienced by wrong info.

Five Tango
11-12-2015, 10:24
I like the idea of having a mug that can be used to boil water in that only coffee or tea is made in.The reason being that if one wanted to sponge off in some hot water,it would not come out of a cookpot that leaves you with a nice "tuna,beans,and rice" lingering odor.Plus I can use one of the pots to hold a FB with oatmeal in it and still have hot coffee at the same time and then no oatmeal cleanup.

squeezebox
11-12-2015, 12:29
If I'm gonna do hiker stink it might as well be tuna and beans.

Berserker
11-12-2015, 13:07
I'm a pot and mug guy. I use a Snow Peak 900 pot and a REI 400 ml mug that weighs right at 2 oz. I boil water in my pot, and use the mug for coffee/tea as I like to also reconstitute my meals in my pot and eat out of it. The extra 2 oz for the mug is worth it for that coffee every morning whilst I eat my breakfast.

fastfoxengineering
11-12-2015, 14:23
I just purchased and it is now shipped a Snow Peak 300ML stacking double wall insulated mug with the silicone sipper lid. It is the cup without the handles.

I'll let you guys know if this stupid expensive coffee cup lives up to it's name. I got my cup and lid on sale for $40, I figured it can rest in my backpacking/travel packs for the rest of it's (and mine, and my grandkid's grandkids) life.

Sorry, but something about it is just... classy . To each his own

Sarcasm the elf
11-12-2015, 14:34
I use a 16oz ziploc twist lock container as my coffee "mug" it weighs 1 3/8 os It woeks well for coffee and has a locking lid which makes it great for shaking up powdered drinks, mixing cereal and powdered milk, and for storing unexpected cheesecake when some is given to me on trail. Best part is that since they only cost a couple dollars for a 3 pack, I don't worry about it too much.

poolskaterx
11-17-2015, 22:39
I just purchased and it is now shipped a Snow Peak 300ML stacking double wall insulated mug with the silicone sipper lid. It is the cup without the handles.

I'll let you guys know if this stupid expensive coffee cup lives up to it's name. I got my cup and lid on sale for $40, I figured it can rest in my backpacking/travel packs for the rest of it's (and mine, and my grandkid's grandkids) life.

Sorry, but something about it is just... classy . To each his own

I agree, I will shlep the extra oz for my double wall snowpeak mug. I love HOT coffee in the am with my breakfast and I especially like to brew up a hot cup of tea to go to sleep with... I have woken up hours later to enjoy a 1/2 cup of nice warm tea at high camp an 15 degree temps.

Grampie
11-18-2015, 10:05
Take a mug. I used a cheap coffee mug during my thru. I would first heat water in my pot, 16 oz. Pour 1/2 into the mug for coffee and use the rest for my instant oatmeal.

Ryder
11-18-2015, 12:37
Since this isn't the UL forum.... I'm a big fan of my GSI Halulite Minimalist. I'm one of those that like to have my moca or coffee with my food, not after. It comes with a very good coozie and sipper lid. Pair it with a 4 Dog Night Ti lid and it makes a great 0.6L pot as well.

I just bought one of those and love it.

bannerstone
11-21-2015, 07:40
Yep, carry a GSI Infinity mug, keeps beverages hot for a good long while, it's even large enough to rehydrate a ramen. I like to enjoy my coffee while packing up in the morning or a coco while reading at night.

donthaveoneyet
11-21-2015, 09:36
I use a 16oz ziploc twist lock container as my coffee "mug" it weighs 1 3/8 os It woeks well for coffee and has a locking lid which makes it great for shaking up powdered drinks, mixing cereal and powdered milk, and for storing unexpected cheesecake when some is given to me on trail. Best part is that since they only cost a couple dollars for a 3 pack, I don't worry about it too much.

BTW, I have three brands of these twist-lock containers in 16 oz, Ziplock, Glad and a generic from Stop-n-Shop, and they are all sized a little differently. The differences matter when trying to fit things inside things. Example, I can get a Toaks 550 in the generic, and the lid will sit close on the twist-lock; with the Ziplock one, it won't even squeeze inside the thing (too narrow).

limehollow
11-21-2015, 10:20
Hmm. Thanks for the info about the twist-locks. I've always used a ziplock freezer bag, and then made tea with the water left in my pot. I think I'll try one of the twist lock containers to save on waste next year.

donthaveoneyet
11-21-2015, 10:58
Hmm. Thanks for the info about the twist-locks. I've always used a ziplock freezer bag, and then made tea with the water left in my pot. I think I'll try one of the twist lock containers to save on waste next year.

It really works well, and the 16 oz twist-locks weigh about 1.4 oz with top. Twist-lock, with Toaks 550 inside (plus lid), with Toaks 375 inside that, with homemade pot stand inside that, and with Zelph Starlyte, comes to 7.25 oz. A cozy outside the twist-lock adds about a half ounce, and then a fraction for a bag to hold it all. Obviously could be lighter with less, but this gives the pot and mug discussed in this thread.