PDA

View Full Version : Is there a SOBO bubble?

The Chief
11-11-2015, 09:33
Howdy all,

Curious is there is a SOBO bubble at all? Want to head out to Max Patch for some magic but not sure what weekend will increase my chances of finding some SOBOs. Thanks!

The Chief

Pedaling Fool
11-11-2015, 09:39
There is no 'bubble', it's actually a series of bubbles. We all talk about bubbles, but no one defines what constitutes a bubble, i.e. what is the minimum number of hikers that it takes to constitute a bubble?

I don't know, but I'm sure someone's personal definition will be fairly small, so than yes, there can be SOBO bubbles, albeit, they are much smaller than the NOBO bubbles.

tdoczi
11-11-2015, 10:00
ive spent nights at shelters in vermont with groups of SOBOs. not as alrge as the some of the groups of NOBOs i've ran into further south at a different time of year, but i'd still call it a bubble.

now if you'll ever find such a group that far south is a different story.

The Chief
11-11-2015, 10:30
Yeah, my concern with heading out was that the chances would be pretty remote so far south....

tdoczi
11-11-2015, 10:38
i think chances are if you do the math and tried on a couple of likely weekends theres a good chance youd run into a small handful (2-5) if you literally spent all weekend waiting in one sport for them. i also think there is no specific weekend on which it is likely you'll do better than that. unless you get advance recon from someone who lives a little further north who meets them and give you a more exact time frame.

The Chief
11-11-2015, 10:45
I can set up on Max Patch Road. For a SOBO that would be after they finished up on the top. Think that would be a cool surprise for them. I will keep checking on trail journals to see if they are getting close

Traveler
11-11-2015, 11:00
There is no 'bubble', it's actually a series of bubbles. We all talk about bubbles, but no one defines what constitutes a bubble, i.e. what is the minimum number of hikers that it takes to constitute a bubble?

I don't know, but I'm sure someone's personal definition will be fairly small, so than yes, there can be SOBO bubbles, albeit, they are much smaller than the NOBO bubbles.

Lets see.... if there are 2.47 acres to the hectare and 0.514 meters per second to one knot, that means it takes a minimum of 7 geese to make a gaggle, it would stand to reason that 13 people, spread out over 25 miles, moving in the same direction in a long distance hike would be the minimum number required to constitute a bubble.

The Chief
11-11-2015, 11:17
LOL!

Makes sense to me ;)