PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Flip-Flop Gear List

lindawg
11-11-2015, 09:52
Hi Guys,

I am trying to get my gear list together for my 2016 thru-hike and am looking for some input. I will be starting in Harper's Ferry around May 18th hiking up to Katahdin, then flipping back down to Harper's and hiking south. I am hoping to finish the first to second week of October.

My questions are:
- Since the majority of the hike will take place in the summer, will a 30 degree bag be fitting? I am a very cold sleeper so I want to keep it on the safe side.
- I have not decided on a stove and cant find a huge difference between them. Input please? I have a Jetboil that I enjoy, but it is extremely outdated and heavy.
- I believe my down jacket is a luxury, but it is lightweight and I love being able to throw it on whenever. It will also double as a pillow. But is the down jacket and a wool pullover complete overkill?
- Is there any big thing that I am forgetting?

http://lighterpack.com/r/9v50v6

* I have a two-person tent because my mom will be joining me for parts of the trail
* Not all items have weights, but those shouldnt be an issue

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

squeezebox
11-11-2015, 10:35
You will have some nights near freezing. The 30* bag will probably be okay particularly if you wear the puffy with it as neccessary. There are lighter stoves around. Are you cooking or boiling water only? Your mom can bring and take back stuff when she visits, so that's a nice option.

squeezebox
11-11-2015, 10:51
Read some of the threads about water. Some folks have had issues with the steripen. I went from a 3 L water bag to 2) 2 L bags. just a better fit in my pack.

lindawg
11-11-2015, 11:32
Squeezebox, thanks for taking a look at it! I am hoping to cook food rather than just boil water. I have a few friends with the MSR pocketrocket that I have enjoyed, that may be the way I go?

I have read about the reliability of the steripen and have noticed that very few people are using it. I've had mine for about 2 years and have had no problems at all, so I think I may take it with the acceptance that I may have to replace it on the trail. I will take a couple of iodine tablets that weigh virtually nothing for emergencies in case is does fail on me.

Thanks for your thoughts on the 30* bag, that has been a large concern.

Slo-go'en
11-11-2015, 12:12
Your 30* bag should be fine. Squeezebox probably didn't notice your starting at Harpers Ferry the middle of May. It will be getting quite warm in MD/PA about then and just getting hotter as you get farther into the summer.

The chances of your doing more then boiling water are slim. I cooked pancakes for a while in the morning on my last trip, but gave it up after a week or too as it took too much time in the morning. A honey bun or pop tart is so much quicker. In any event, a pocket rocket or similar burners are very popular and you can't go wrong there.

The Steripen might kill off all the nasties in the water, but it doesn't do anything about removing any particulate matter which might be in the water. Your steripen might have lasted 2 years now, but it hasn't been used several times everyday for long periods of time. A lot of them do fail at some point on a thru hike.

lindawg
11-11-2015, 18:02
Thanks Slo-go'en, I will look into a sawyer squeeze!

showtime_
11-20-2015, 17:35
Hi Guys,

I am trying to get my gear list together for my 2016 thru-hike and am looking for some input. I will be starting in Harper's Ferry around May 18th hiking up to Katahdin, then flipping back down to Harper's and hiking south. I am hoping to finish the first to second week of October.

My questions are:
- Since the majority of the hike will take place in the summer, will a 30 degree bag be fitting? I am a very cold sleeper so I want to keep it on the safe side.
- I have not decided on a stove and cant find a huge difference between them. Input please? I have a Jetboil that I enjoy, but it is extremely outdated and heavy.
- I believe my down jacket is a luxury, but it is lightweight and I love being able to throw it on whenever. It will also double as a pillow. But is the down jacket and a wool pullover complete overkill?
- Is there any big thing that I am forgetting?

http://lighterpack.com/r/9v50v6

* I have a two-person tent because my mom will be joining me for parts of the trail
* Not all items have weights, but those shouldnt be an issue

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

Hey Lindawg,

A 30 degree bag should be perfect, and sometimes a little warm depending on the elevation. I took a trip up to the White Mountains in NH this July and my 30 degree bag worked like a charm, though I did keep my beanie on. I also have a JetBoil, and after using my friend's pocket rocket I think I will be making the jump to that... smaller and lighter, and I would like to actually be able to cook in whatever I'm using with ease... freezer bag cooking gets old.

I tried to pull your gear list but the link didn't work for me- I'll try again later. I did notice a comment about Steripen on the thread. I have no experience with them, but I use the Sawyer Mini Squeeze and it works like a charm.