PDA

View Full Version : Three Ridges Loop (Virginia)

rczrider
11-11-2015, 09:58
Planning on doing the Three Ridges Loop (http://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/ThreeRidges/) as an overnight trip this weekend and the weather looks great!

I was thinking of heading up there Friday night and from what I've read, there's not really any camping near the trailhead at the Reeds Gap parking area. Any suggestions for roadside-ish camping near there? It's going to be dark when I arrive, so I'm aiming for easy and quick access. I'll be coming from North Carolina, so anything on the way (even as far as 30 minutes out) would be fine.

TIA!

earlyriser26
11-11-2015, 10:55
There are no "legal" campsites near the road. If you parked at Reeds gap after dark you could try camping near the kiosk about 100 yards north of Reeds. No water, but flat next to kiosk.

MadAussieInLondon
11-11-2015, 13:28
can you hike to the first tent site on the map? zooming the map out, places to stay would be like raphine or sherando lake.

rczrider
11-11-2015, 13:55
There are no "legal" campsites near the road. If you parked at Reeds gap after dark you could try camping near the kiosk about 100 yards north of Reeds. No water, but flat next to kiosk.
Yeah, the picture makes it look like there's plenty of space to throw up a tent...it's just so exposed that I figured any passing official (ranger, LEO, whatever) would see us and tell us to pack it up :p

can you hike to the first tent site on the map? zooming the map out, places to stay would be like raphine or sherando lake.
We could, though we're meeting friends the following morning, and so figured we'd camp as close to the lot as possible so we can meet them when we get there.

TNhiker
11-11-2015, 15:20
ive stayed at sherando lake campground once before a few years ago...

not bad...........plenty of sites...........its all car camping and rv type camping.....

also, if you start your hike off of state route 56, there's a place to tent right off the road................cross the bridge and theres a few sites right there....

rczrider
11-11-2015, 15:36
ive stayed at sherando lake campground once before a few years ago...

not bad...........plenty of sites...........its all car camping and rv type camping.....

also, if you start your hike off of state route 56, there's a place to tent right off the road................cross the bridge and theres a few sites right there....
I looked at Sherando after MadAussie mentioned it, but I think the recreation area is closed for the winter.

Also, it looks like Crabtree Falls Hwy (VA SR-56) does hit the AT, south of where Three Ridges Loop traditionally starts. I may look into that for Friday night. Thanks for the heads up!

jimmyjam
11-11-2015, 20:14
You could camp at Crabtree Falls campground Friday night and then Saturday drive up the road (about a mile??)to and park at the fish hatchery. If my memory is correct the trail crosses the road almost right at the parking lot.

johnnybgood
11-11-2015, 20:50
Campsites on Humpback Rock :

There are a few tent sites on top of Humpback Mountain between Laurel Springs & Dripping Rock along the Blue Ridge Pkwy.. I remember passing through thinking how that would be ideal spot to pitch a tent. Parking at Dripping Rock pull-off , small parking area and hiking north up the trail to Humpback Rocks.

A stealth campsite 0.25 mi. across the Dripping Rock parking area at Cedar Cliffs is not legal from what I've heard, probably a minimal risk seeing that it becomes dark early.

scudder
11-11-2015, 22:25
From Reeds Gap, Maupin Shelter is an hour walk south. Halfway there on Meadow Mt. there are a few flat campsites that do not have water. If you absolutely must camp near your car, I'd suggest driving up to Hog Camp Gap ( see the Cold Mountain hike on the hiking upward site). Beautiful meadow with a strong spring. And you could probably drive to Reeds gap in a little over 30 minutes.

rczrider
11-11-2015, 22:53
Thank you all for the feedback, I really appreciate it! You guys rock.

chknfngrs
11-12-2015, 07:47
How about sleeping in your car?

rczrider
11-12-2015, 09:54
How about sleeping in your car?
Something I definitely thought about (and might end up doing). Just figured I'd look into the legitimate camping options before resorting to that. My bag, pad, and tent is bound to be more comfortable than my car.

chknfngrs
11-12-2015, 10:48
or camping at Devil's Backbone down the mountain from there? Not sure if it's just a thru hiker special they offer or anyone, but another option

earlyriser26
11-12-2015, 11:09
Don't camp at Cedar cliff. posted no camping and rangers do patrol this spot. Last time someone was found illegally camping here their gear went into the dumpster.

carouselambra
11-12-2015, 13:31
My son and I went through that area this past Labor Day weekend. We ate supper at the Maupin Field Shelter and then headed north, hoping to stop for the night at Reeds Gap or the Three Ridges Overlook. I seem to remember a few places just prior to Reed's gap that may have worked for camping, but they were not established and had growth so we pushed on. We ended up having to walk at least a half-mile past the Three Ridges Overlook to find a spot flat enough to camp and it was dark. I think that if I were in your situation I would not count on being able to camp for the night at Reed's Gap and consider the advice that scudder provided earlier in the thread. The Maupin Field Shelter has plenty of campsites.

rczrider
11-17-2015, 06:35
or camping at Devil's Backbone down the mountain from there? Not sure if it's just a thru hiker special they offer or anyone, but another option
You are a genius. I contacted then beforehand to make sure, but we did indeed camp at the brewery. It was awesome. Thanks!

chknfngrs
11-17-2015, 07:55
NICE! great beers too no doubt