PDA

View Full Version : No joy in Mudville - Buyer's Beware

Venchka
11-11-2015, 11:34
I just pulled the rigger/slapped plastic/ordered a Boreas Lost Coast/60 liter/Monterey Grey backpack.
The top pocket/lid/Brain is removable. I don't think the young lady will arrive with the pack.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0387/3585/products/LC8_a9e868f0-dbf9-440c-aa43-a7433c481880.jpg?v=1430170055

http://www.boreasgear.com/collections/backcountry/products/lost-coast-monterey-grey-1

Oh, by the way, 40% off for email newsletter folks sealed the deal.
Cutting my backpack weight more than 50%. Priceless! :D ;) :cool:

Cheers, Y'all!

Wayne

OK, I admit that I am a sucker for a deal. Unfortunately, many times a deal isn't really a deal at all.
Case in point. The Boreas Gear Lost Coast Men's Medium 60 liter pack arrived yesterday. I raced to the apartment to collect the package. Went strait to the apartment and sliced open the box. Extracted the new backpack and admired it carefully.
I really liked what I saw. Well made. Functional hip belt pockets. Included rain cover. Stretch side and front pockets. Room for a 1.5 liter water bottle in the side pockets. 3 pounds 6 ounces as advertised. Very nice looking foam & mesh back panel. I was optimistic.
I loaded the pack with 4 1.5 liter and 2 1 quart bottles of water. I put the pack on. Or tried to. The pack length was extremely short. The top of the frame hit my shoulder blades. several inches below the top of my shoulders. the "load lifter" straps were below the top of my shoulders. The hip belt barely made the turn of my pelvic bones. In short, I had a small masquerading as a medium size backpack.
I went so far as to measure my two existing size medium packs. The Boreas pack frame was 3"+ shorter than both my Dana Design Terraplane & Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen packs. The hip belts wer substantially longer too. In short, the Boreas Lost Coast pack was smaller in all of the critical fit areas, and non-adjustable.
The pack will be returned. This has never happened to me before. I am not a happy camper.
In summary: Try before you buy. All packs, like shoes, are not created equal.

Wayne

skater
11-11-2015, 13:04
"I don't think the young lady will arrive with the pack."

If she does, would you please let us know? :)

Odd Man Out
11-11-2015, 13:19
I feel for you. But unfortunately there are some excellent packs that are not available in stores, at least where I live. Probably the most recommended packs on this site are by ULA, which are sold mostly on-line. The ULA web site currently lists only 18 retailers - of these only 11 are in the US and none near where I live. I now use (and very much like) a Kalais by Elemental Horizons (which seems to be very similar to a ULA Catalyst). I'm not sure that they have any retail outlets.

The point is that we have a paradox. While trying a pack on before you buy and having it fitted for you is very good advice, if I limit myself to considering only the packs that are available to try on at stores, then I would never be able to consider many options which may include the best pack for me. So while "try before you buy" is excellent advice, I suggest that there is another option. Small cottage companies that make excellent and innovative gear typically have excellent customer service. If you contact ULA or EH, they will be happy to work with you to get the best pack for you (and these are just two examples).

Venchka
11-13-2015, 15:40
I hear you.
I guess I was lucky or dealt with folks who knew what they were doing when I bought the 2 packs that I currently own and use. I bought both sight unseen though the mail. Before the internet even. Both packs fit perfectly including gaining & loosing weight over the years. I'm currently in lost weight mode.
Looking at the torso length and waist size for my old packs and the recent Boreas Lost Coast 60 pack, the numbers for a Medium match in all 3 cases. Alas, the Lost Coast was a sham. There is no way anyone with an 18" to 20" torso and 33" waist could use that pack.
I go through Maryville, TN a lot on my way to visit my grandkids. One of these days I'll stop in and try on some ULA packs. In the meantime, I'm good to go with the Terraplane & Jensen packs.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Wayne

squeezebox
11-13-2015, 20:15
Same issue with tents, shoes or anything else. How do I know if it's gonna fit if I can't see it and try it on.
Anybody in St. Louis have a ULA catalyst and /or Ohm that we can go hiking with for an hour or 2? I'll let you check out my EE quilts.

Casey & Gina
11-13-2015, 22:55
If the lady came with the pack it might be okay for the fit to be bad...

Venchka
11-13-2015, 23:02
The Boreas Lost Coast 60 was not a case of the right size pack not fitting me. It was like trying on a pair of shoes labeled size 10 that were actually a size 8.
My torso is 18". The Lost Coast might have fit someone with a 15" torso. That is just plain wrong.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Venchka
11-13-2015, 23:04
If the lady came with the pack it might be okay for the fit to be bad...

Only if it fit her and she used it.
The pack was that much too small.

Wayne

v1k1ng1001
11-23-2015, 01:53
The Boreas Lost Coast 60 was not a case of the right size pack not fitting me. It was like trying on a pair of shoes labeled size 10 that were actually a size 8.
My torso is 18". The Lost Coast might have fit someone with a 15" torso. That is just plain wrong.

Wayne

I know the feeling. Just received a klymit motion 35 via massdrop. Its a M/L but still small for me at 6'3". Maybe I'm just spoiled by the fit of my ULA?

Nice pack though. I dig the inflatable framesheet as I need a frameless carry-on pack for international travel so I may keep it. If not, I'll put it up for sale here soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk