PDA

View Full Version : Renewing our vows on the trail

jdavis7590
11-11-2015, 11:37
My wife and I are hiking a good section of the trail next year starting in March '16. I want to surprise her with a small informal ceremony to renow my vows for her. We will be NOBO. I have several questions. Does anyone have an opinion of several senic clearings that would be a "magical" spot for this to take place? Has anyone seen anything like this being done before? Lastly I know that we will be dirty, smelly and everything else that goes with hiking close to 1000 miles of the trail but I am open to ideas and suggestions to help make this as special and romantic as possible for her considering the environment and conditions we will be in. Thanks for any response and also not cracking on me for being a sap lol

Casey & Gina
11-11-2015, 20:14
http://youtu.be/ALfQfocb0HU

jdavis7590
11-27-2015, 15:58
Thats awesome!

Studlintsean
11-27-2015, 17:06
http://youtu.be/ALfQfocb0HU

Sounds like the song could be a version of a Rebelution song. Any ideas? Cool proposal.

bigcranky
11-27-2015, 19:57
McAfee Knob is a good one. Several good fire towers in the South -- I like Wesser but there are others. Top of the balds in NC past Roan. On the street in downtown Damascus. Top of Big Bald has a great view. Tower on top of Clingman's Dome. Top of Standing Indian.

As an aside, I've asked my wife a couple of times over the years about renewing our vows. Her answers is always, "What, they expire?" said in a sarcastic tone. :)

MuddyWaters
11-27-2015, 21:20
People have had small wedding ceremonies on easy access balds.

AtWokman
02-03-2016, 09:15
big cedar mt. 22 ish miles nobo standing Indian mt. 87 ish miles nobo

Harrison Bergeron
02-03-2016, 09:49
Preachers Rock comes up pretty soon, and of course, there's Blood Mountain, which has spectacular views and a fancy shelter that could pass for a church.

But frankly, I'd just wait for the moment. There will be many to choose from.

peakbagger
02-03-2016, 10:00
Up in NH there are frequent proposals and weddings on top of Mt Washington. The plus with this is that its readily accessible via the autoroad or cog railroad allowing folks unable to hike to join in. Even though the summit can be a zoo, it doesn't take much of a walk to get to a fairly quiet spot. The trade off is the weather is unpredictable and when its bad it can be abysmal. They do run a few sunrise days during the summer and fall where they let a limited group drive up for sunrise, on nice day I expect it would be hard to beat. There is a large summit building to use in case the weather goes downhill.

rocketsocks
02-03-2016, 13:30
Lovers leap :D