PDA

View Full Version : Pack Base Weight Vs Modified Pack Base Weight :

Kookork
11-11-2015, 18:58
One way to determine the ideal optimum pack base weight for a hiker should closely be related to his/her body weight.( ideal body weight to be exact)

A 200 pounds muscular hiker needs to carry more than a 140 pound slim hiker. The 200 pounds hiker normally carries a bigger backpack,larger sleeping bag and sleeping pad , heavier clothing items ( an Xlarge jacket weighs more than a small one). Even a larger hiker needs a larger shelter so I think one way to determine a reasonable base weight could be( for the purpose of the example) 10% of the persons ideal weight.

Take me for example: I normally weigh around 175 pounds when I am not in shape but my 5 feet 8 inch stature should be around 155 pound or less when I am in shape and ready to hike. So if I can keep my base weight around 10% of my ideal wight it gives me the 15 pound limit as my optimum base weight . So comes the term modified base weight that is an individually defined base weight depending on Ideal body weight of a hiker.

So what do you think about this modified thing?

What is your modified base weight?

What do you think of the percentage of body weight to determine who is light, who is ultra light and who is uber light backpacker?

Starchild
11-11-2015, 19:07
Oh boy - here we go again

Kookork
11-11-2015, 19:28
Oh boy - here we go again

The hiking season is over here in Canada, so comes nitpicking:p.

russb
11-11-2015, 19:40
Is there a way to determine how long cheese will last in my pack based on the modified base weight formula?

Casey & Gina
11-11-2015, 20:00
Pretty sure most larger hikers don't "need" larger gear other than clothing, it's just a question of comfort. Pretty sure the extra tens of pounds they are carrying on their body is a bigger burden than the extra couple ounces their larger-sized clothing weighs. Pretty sure pack size has nothing at all to do with body weight at all. But what do I know?

I like wide sleeping pads, rectangular bags, a strong roomy tent, being warm and dry, and a comfortable pack that carries whatever I feel like loading into it comfortably enough all day. Per your reckoning I need to put on about 350lbs. Better get started! How much weight in cheese must I purchase and at what rate must I eat it to modify my body to this degree?

PackHorse
11-11-2015, 20:42
I can give you the other end of that argument... at 105 lbs ( ideal is closer to 100) I would have a 10 lb base weight. My sleeping bag is a standard womens and my tent or hammock is also standard sizes. This would require me to have my gear more " dialed in " than a large man. I'm not there yet and probably will never be.
However, I have recently considered shortening my sleeping bag and using the old footbox to sew a separate down hood.
Linda

scatman
11-11-2015, 20:55
I think this question is very subjective. There is no industry standard for light, ultralight and uberlight. Ask 20 hikers to give you weight ranges for these and you'll get 20 different answers.
Personally, I choose my target base weight on what I think I can be comfortable with. For me that will always be under 10% of my body weight. Mine would be 15-16 lbs with your formula. If I had it my way my pack would be under 10, but I love a hot meal at the end of the day and refuse to give up my stove. I also don't want to skimp in other areas or spend the money to get under 10. So in the end it comes down to comfort, money and personal preference.
Do what makes you happy.

Venchka
11-11-2015, 23:10
I'm old. I'm slow. Much of my gear is ancient.
Since I shed 40-45 pounds, my base according to your formula and verified on my scale this morning is 14.69 pounds. I got that. Actually I'm about 2-3 pounds under that with my 4 season tent. Lighter still with my tarp.
Not too shabby for a Geezer with gear older than the average age of most thru hikers.
I like your system. Makes me feel like a member of the UL fraternity.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Kookork
11-12-2015, 00:20
I'm old. I'm slow. Much of my gear is ancient.
Since I shed 40-45 pounds, my base according to your formula and verified on my scale this morning is 14.69 pounds. I got that. Actually I'm about 2-3 pounds under that with my 4 season tent. Lighter still with my tarp.
Not too shabby for a Geezer with gear older than the average age of most thru hikers.
I like your system. Makes me feel like a member of the UL fraternity.

Wayne

Welcome to self proclaimed ultralight club. buy one sell one free for the first month of membership.

squeezebox
11-12-2015, 01:33
I'm not here to meet your standards. I'm here to figure out mine.

MuddyWaters
11-12-2015, 01:46
Some newbies get enamored with the perceived eliteness of " ultralight ".
After theyve been around a while, an hiked a bit, they will figure out no one cares what you carry but.....you.
If you are happy, comfortable, and can do your miles target, thats all thats important.
This is different for everyone.
One absolute however, is the less you carry, the faster you will hike, the farther per day you can hike, and the more comfortably you will hike.
Everyone has different goals. None is right, and none is wrong, and argueing, debating, etc is really pointless.

squeezebox
11-12-2015, 02:35
Camp comfort also is part of it. Do you want a bigger tent, kitchen stuff, etc. It's a funny balance between what you want to carry during the day, and what you want to have at camp. And every day that balance changes. There is no answer.

PAFranklin
11-12-2015, 09:12
I'm 60 years old and 5 pounds heavier than when I graduated HS. I can tell you that as you age your pack gets heavier even if it weighs the same. The only value I see with calculating percentage of body weight is for protection of children. Adults should work out what weight is comfortable for them to carry for the distances traveled. Balance that against the needs for the trip.

PackHorse
11-14-2015, 19:05
I've been thinking about this... ( that is usually dangerous! )
Develope a point system,
Points for lbs in the pack
Points for lbs your wearing or in your pocket
More points for the person being over "ideal" weight
And maybe even some "condition" points to account for the persons current activity level
All the catagories may not be worth equal points as some take more strength/energy to move
What we may come up with is...
10-20 Your passing everyone and smiling
20-30 Your having an enjoyable trip
30-40 Your going to make it (and make some changes before the next trip
40-50 Not enjoying this trip, may not do this again
50-60 You should reconsider leaving the house

Wolf - 23000
11-14-2015, 20:49
Pretty sure most larger hikers don't "need" larger gear other than clothing, it's just a question of comfort. Pretty sure the extra tens of pounds they are carrying on their body is a bigger burden than the extra couple ounces their larger-sized clothing weighs. Pretty sure pack size has nothing at all to do with body weight at all. But what do I know?

I like wide sleeping pads, rectangular bags, a strong roomy tent, being warm and dry, and a comfortable pack that carries whatever I feel like loading into it comfortably enough all day. Per your reckoning I need to put on about 350lbs. Better get started! How much weight in cheese must I purchase and at what rate must I eat it to modify my body to this degree?

Raptelan,

Are you serious? Larger hikers also need a larger sleeping bag for starters. To smaller of a sleeping bag make it difficult getting out or makes it impossible to stretch while sleeping. With a sleeping bag, most hikers also carry a sleeping pad to cover at least most of their body. Larger hikers will eat more than smaller hikers. A hiker who weight is 200 pounds is going to need more food to maintain his/her health weight than a hiker who weighs 150 pounds. Of course the extra food requires a bigger pack to carry, and extra fuel to cook. It all adds up.

Wolf

Wolf - 23000
11-14-2015, 22:06
One absolute however, is the less you carry, the faster you will hike, the farther per day you can hike, and the more comfortably you will hike.
Everyone has different goals. None is right, and none is wrong, and argueing, debating, etc is really pointless.

MuddyWater,

That not always true. My first thru-hike for example, I did not carry a stove. Instead I made a fire to cook my dinner. I saved the weight of not carrying a stove but end up not traveling as far because I had to spend the time cooking my dinner. Also the fastest hikers are not always the lightest hikers. There are some strong hikers that are fast but don't go super-UL. It is a trade off between carrying the extra gear and what will make the hike easier.

Wolf

Kookork
11-14-2015, 23:04
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by raptelan http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2018338#post2018338)

Raptelan,

Are you serious? Larger hikers also need a larger sleeping bag for starters. To smaller of a sleeping bag make it difficult getting out or makes it impossible to stretch while sleeping. With a sleeping bag, most hikers also carry a sleeping pad to cover at least most of their body. Larger hikers will eat more than smaller hikers. A hiker who weight is 200 pounds is going to need more food to maintain his/her health weight than a hiker who weighs 150 pounds. Of course the extra food requires a bigger pack to carry, and extra fuel to cook. It all adds up.

Wolf

Amen.

To be honest, Raptelan's post was wrong in so many levels that I did not bother answering it. I was hoping that someone does . Especially when he started every part of it by " Pretty sure" statement.
Thank you Wolf

salsi
11-16-2015, 02:15
I think this makes perfect sense, lots of people have pack weights including water at like 25-30 pounds, I weigh 285ish and my pack weight ends up with water around 40-45 pounds, I think modified pack weight makes perfect sense to use.

However 10% of my body weight is 28 pounds and my base weigh without food/water is about 18. So I think it really depends on how much gear the person wants to carry.

shakey_snake
11-16-2015, 09:29
As a largish man, I understand how it might make someone envious to see all the thruhiking ladies that have 8 pound base weights. Especially when you're sitting at 8 and a half pounds for your fall weekend trips. :P

But at the end of the day, it doesn't make any sense to put a bunch of energy into these sorts of mental gymnastics just to have a number to compare yourself with other people. Epecially when no one's ever going to agree with you completely. Just get out of the damn rat race and HYOH.

BFI
11-16-2015, 20:03
All I want to do is hike , nobody told me that there would be math !!!!

Venchka
11-16-2015, 22:21
All I want to do is hike , nobody told me that there would be math !!!!

Aye. There it is.

Wayne