PDA

View Full Version : I've selected an ULA Circuit, now what sleeping bag to go with it? Advice please!

BenOnAdventures
11-11-2015, 22:01
Hey fellow adventurers, I hope all of you have been doing great! I believe I have decided to go with an ULA Circuit, I've done my research on it and really like it. In general, what down sleeping bag would you select to go with it? I guess my main concern is making sure the sleeping bag will actually fit inside the pack so that's why I ask. Any ideas or suggestions of sleeping bags will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for everything and happy trails!!

Venchka
11-11-2015, 22:25
Now you know why most folks here suggest buying the pack last. When you have your pile of gear together, you may find that you need an Ohm 2.0 or a Catalyst. No argument on selecting ULA for whatever pack you choose.
Good luck.
Oh, someone will be along soon to suggest a quit.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Venchka
11-11-2015, 22:27
One more thing.
If see a bear can in your future, buy accordingly.

Wayne

mtntopper
11-11-2015, 23:31
Western Mountaineering 20 degree

atmilkman
11-11-2015, 23:36
Western Mountaineering 20 degree

Or 15 degree. Either way Western Mountaineering. You will never regret it.

Uncle Joe
11-12-2015, 00:22
You won't have any issue fitting your sleeping bag into the Circuit. Find the sleeping bag you want and don't worry about that. Stuff it in the bottom loose and let it compress.

Gambit McCrae
11-12-2015, 09:02
I dont know why but im the only one to ever suggest Montbell, because I have 3 and love them. I will never use another bag if I can help it

I also have 2 western Mount bags for cold cold weather

PAFranklin
11-12-2015, 09:17
You haven't told us when/where you backpack. Couldn't begin to make suggestions without that. Also, I assume as you mention a bag you are tent camping? But recommendations may vary if you are hammocking.

atmilkman
11-12-2015, 09:40
I dont know why but im the only one to ever suggest Montbell, because I have 3 and love them. I will never use another bag if I can help it

I also have 2 western Mount bags for cold cold weather
I've got a Montbell down jacket and pants. Great stuff! They just don't make a bag big enough for me or I would have one too. Everybody I know that has one loves it.

MuddyWaters
11-12-2015, 10:18
I would go with a high quality 20 degree down quilt that has a footbox that opens for ventillation for wide range flexibility and low wt. . Hammock Gear has some of the most reasonable prices. IMO.

Rolling around in a bag and getting it wrapped around you is infuriating to me. Especially suffocating your face in the hood trying to sleep on stomach. When its really cold, they are great, rest of the time, a hassle.

There is a reason why we dont sleep in sleeping bags at home every night. Simple covers work better.

Gambit McCrae
11-12-2015, 11:32
You haven't told us when/where you backpack. Couldn't begin to make suggestions without that. Also, I assume as you mention a bag you are tent camping? But recommendations may vary if you are hammocking.

The companies I like don't really vary much between temp ratings. My 15* ul bag fits and feels the same as my 30*, its just a bit warmer

I've got a Montbell down jacket and pants. Great stuff! They just don't make a bag big enough for me or I would have one too. Everybody I know that has one loves it.

Montbell's come in Long, Im 6'4" and use a reg just fine, my first Montbell is a long and it was way too long for me, still have it. As well Montbell's expandable girth size is something like 88". It is the most expandable bag on the market.

What bag do you use that fits better then a Montbell? have you tested a Montbell out?

saltysack
11-12-2015, 11:34
I would go with a high quality 20 degree down quilt that has a footbox that opens for ventillation for wide range flexibility and low wt. . Hammock Gear has some of the most reasonable prices. IMO.

Rolling around in a bag and getting it wrapped around you is infuriating to me. Especially suffocating your face in the hood trying to sleep on stomach. When its really cold, they are great, rest of the time, a hassle.

There is a reason why we dont sleep in sleeping bags at home every night. Simple covers work better.

I'm mainly a stomach sleeper and thinking about a 0* quilt for mainly SE winter use. I'm hate getting wrapped up and the hood.. You think a 0* quilt is comparable to a 15* bag? Currently use a marmot helium 15* bag for winter and a 45 JRB quilt for summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squeezebox
11-12-2015, 12:11
Enlightened Equipment makes a pair of straps to stack 2 quilts together. Say a 10* and a 40* together will weigh and cost about as much as the better bags.
a plus for versatility using as well as packing. A compression stuff sack might be a thought. Of course always store down products loose.
There I said it quilt.

Coffee
11-12-2015, 12:13
Go for top quality and low weight the first time rather than having to do an expensive "do over" like I did. Consider the zPacks bag/quilts - best weight for value deal out there IMO.

saltysack
11-12-2015, 12:51
Go for top quality and low weight the first time rather than having to do an expensive "do over" like I did. Consider the zPacks bag/quilts - best weight for value deal out there IMO.

U dissing that helium?Did u sell it?

swisscross
11-12-2015, 13:00
Get an overfilled Western Mountaineering Megalite.
Wonder if they will add down to my regular ML?

Coffee
11-12-2015, 13:26
U dissing that helium?Did u sell it?

I actually gave it away. The person who got it is actually a much better fit for the Helium Long in terms of build and should better consume the space in the bag which was the main problem I had with it. Other than weight. The Helium was almost a pound heavier than my zPacks 20 degree.

BenOnAdventures
11-12-2015, 13:46
I've had some other people suggest using an Enlightened Equipment Enigma: http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/enigma/ What do all of you think about it?

Studlintsean
11-12-2015, 14:51
I have a ULA Circuit and carry a WM Alpinelite in the Winter and an EE 40 deg quilt in the summer. Good choice on the pack.

squeezebox
11-12-2015, 15:15
When you are starting out you need something to carry your gear in for weekends etc. I first bought a 65 +10 completely at the clerks suggestion. At some point realized a 50 L might be better sometimes, and it was on sale. and there's a nice daypack someone gave me. So I think a Small, medium and large pack set is reasonable. I'm hoping I can cut my gear down enough to use the 50L for major long distance hikes, maybe for summer.

Heliotrope
11-12-2015, 17:26
The circuit is roughly 70 liters. I fit my 20 deg "quilt" in my 40 liter gorilla plus a week of food, tarp tent etc. Like Wayne suggests you may have more than enough room once you have all of your gear figured out. Have fun shopping!

BenOnAdventures
11-12-2015, 18:56
I appreciate all of the advice! I think I'm going to go with the circuit and one of the quilts by enlightened equipment

squeezebox
11-12-2015, 20:22
Keep in mind EE is now offering a full length zipper. Something to consider.

sethd513
11-12-2015, 20:42
I use an ohm 2.0 and use an ee enigma 20* with my half pad against my back with no issue. Actually in a 9l stuff sack and it fills the bottom pretty well. Could put a layer underneath to really fill the minimal void.

BenOnAdventures
11-12-2015, 21:13
Thanks to both of you! It's nice hearing first hand accounts

Venchka
11-12-2015, 22:26
Or 15 degree. Either way Western Mountaineering. You will never regret it.

Ditto and Ditto. I own 2. I wont ever part with them.

Wayne

saltysack
11-12-2015, 22:29
I also use a circuit....you should have plenty of room any gear for 4 seasons.....currently use a marmot helium 15* bag for winter and a JRB 45* quilt for warmer weather. I have enough room to carry both if it's xtra cold...I could really drop down to a smaller pack.

Rex Clifton
11-13-2015, 13:26
Screw the sleeping bag, buy a quilt instead. Lighter, cheaper and works just as well whether your a ground pounder or hammocker. Two awesome manufacturers are Underground Quilts and Hammock Gear. For around the price of one Western Mountaineering down bag you can buy two quilts, a 40 degree and 20 degree, that will cover all of your three season needs. If you want to try to get by with one bag I would recommend the Hammock Gear Burrow, just call them and request a 30 degree custom. All they chage you for is 2 ounces of overfill. Also, I recommend the wide, 55 inch width and pad attachment kit if you are going to use on the ground.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

squeezebox
11-13-2015, 13:53
If you go to a quilt or 2, consider the separate synthetic or down hood if you are going to do near or below freezing.

May the light-ness be with you

RedwoodRoots
11-13-2015, 14:05
I have an EE Revelation and LOVE it. I'm firmly in the quilt camp. I haven't tried any other brands of quilts and I don't know if I ever will, I just love it so much :D

Grunt
11-13-2015, 22:27
I've had some other people suggest using an Enlightened Equipment Enigma: http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/enigma/ What do all of you think about it?

Absolutely... bought my first quilt and will never go back to a bag... I don't winter hike anyway. I got an extra extra wide and a little long and am glad. I'm 6'1 and 215 lbs of old muscle and fat. Great company and workmanship. Did a 100 + section from Davenport Gap to Erwin, TN in middle of Oct. First couple nights was almost freezing and I did well in my 30* quilt, but I think I would go with a 20*. I've been sectioning for over 10 years and I've never been comfortable in a "bag".... love my quilt

Astro
11-14-2015, 00:05
Just now switching from ULA Catalyst down to Circuit. Currently use WM HighLite, a 35* bag that only weighs 16oz and 6"x12" stuff size.

You may like a quilt, but a bag works best for me.

Rex Clifton
11-14-2015, 14:38
My 40 degree Hammock Gear Borrow weights 17 ounces and is half the price.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk