PDA

View Full Version : Sprouting seeds on the trail.

trailhermit
11-12-2015, 13:23
I just read about this. Has anyone tried this or seen people sprouting seeds in a bottle or hemp bag wile on a trail?

squeezebox
11-12-2015, 14:32
Yes I saw some body who makes hemp bags for that. sorry no other info. Should be easy to make your own. Just get the right material.

Dogwood
11-13-2015, 02:00
Yeah, in a hemp bag and with seeds/legumes from Outdoor Herbivore, every time I look in a mirror. Got a Trail Sprouting Kit from OH that I asked for a few yrs ago as a Christmas present. Works great. Fresh sprouts are cheap, super nutritious, and aren't a hassle as might be assumed on trails like the AT. It's a great addition to my backpacking diet. IMO, more hikers should consider growing and eating sprouts on trail.

http://outdoorherbivore.com/trail-sprouts/

Starchild
11-13-2015, 08:26
Another yes, have seen it. Don't know much more then that.

Odd Man Out
11-13-2015, 10:45
Yeah, in a hemp bag and with seeds/legumes from Outdoor Herbivore, every time I look in a mirror. Got a Trail Sprouting Kit from OH that I asked for a few yrs ago as a Christmas present. Works great. Fresh sprouts are cheap, super nutritious, and aren't a hassle as might be assumed on trails like the AT. It's a great addition to my backpacking diet. IMO, more hikers should consider growing and eating sprouts on trail.

http://outdoorherbivore.com/trail-sprouts/

I'm curious how the nutritional value of the sprouted seed compares to the unsprouted seed. You will loose some weight (calories) when sprouting. Do you gain something (besides taste)? I'm intrigued by this.

I have been known to pack a beer (which is also made from sprouted grain).

nsherry61
11-13-2015, 11:20
Seeds don't digest very easily or completely. Sprouted grains have significantly more available nutrients than seeds.

trailhermit
11-13-2015, 11:35
I love sprouts in my wraps and salads. I am brainstorming ways to create my own container drilling holes in the lid of a ziplock container.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

trailhermit
11-13-2015, 11:42
Sprouts are super healthy and easy to digest. You may have to try a few to find the flavors you like. Some are peppery, some sweet like lettuce. Its been a while so I am looking forward trying it out.

Dogwood
11-13-2015, 13:54
Once sprouted, seeds have sometimes twice the nutritional value compared to being unsprouted.

Starchild
11-13-2015, 14:24
Once sprouting the plant is converting light into, well food, so it should be a net gain in nutrition. After all if you let it go long enough you end up with more seeds then you started. Perhaps right at the moment of germination till the plant starts making it's own food there could be a dip in nutritional value.

perdidochas
11-13-2015, 14:33
Seeds don't digest very easily or completely. Sprouted grains have significantly more available nutrients than seeds.

I'd like to read the scientific evidence for that. Doesn't make sense to me on the surface.

perdidochas
11-13-2015, 14:33
Once sprouted, seeds have sometimes twice the nutritional value compared to being unsprouted.

Evidence for that? Doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I've missed something.

squeezebox
11-13-2015, 14:49
Evidence for that? Doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I've missed something.
It's kinda like eating veggies is more nutritious than chewing on sticks. Kinda off in that direction.

GeoRed
11-13-2015, 15:57
It's all about the enzymes.. Enzymes = Energy

There's many more benefits too but you must be careful. Young children, older people and anyone with weakened immune systems should avoid eating sprouts as the risk of getting a food borne illness is greatly increased. Not trying to scare you away, I love sprouting and eating sprouts. Sunflower sprouts are my favorite..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprouting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enzyme
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/10-reasons-to-eat-sprouts.html
http://nutritionstripped.com/guide-to-soaking-and-sprouting/

squeezebox
11-13-2015, 19:40
I've done sprouts at home a few times. I've used a qt. mason jar with a piece of screen or stockings under the lid. or a gallon pickle jar with stockings or screen. Soak overnight, in a.m. rinse and turn upside down on chopsticks in a bread pan or such for air and drainage. rinse at least twice a day. Put the set up under the kitchen where it's dark. last day or so bring into the sun to "green up" possible to have several batches at different stages.
So my question is how to do sprouts when hiking. In camp easy to soak/rinse and hang with bear bag. But during the day? I've got this wet bag full of stuff that I want to be able to drain a bit and I want to keep it dark. Dark means inside my pack, wet means outside my pack. So how is it done?

squeezebox
11-13-2015, 19:55
[QUOTE=GeoRed;2018936]It's all about the enzymes.. Enzymes = Energy

There's many more benefits too but you must be careful. Young children, older people and anyone with weakened immune systems should avoid eating sprouts as the risk of getting a food borne illness is greatly increased. Not trying to scare you away, I love sprouting and eating sprouts. Sunflower sprouts are my favorite..

Sounds to me a little too much like "those people shouldn't eat veggies". I mean there's all that dirt and nasties on them. Rinse and soak in clean, filtered on the trail water, store properly. Why should there should be a problem past that. And by-the-by hikers don't fit into the "those people" catagory

ocourse
11-13-2015, 19:55
Anyone interested should do research themselves about sprouts vs seeds since there is so much info out there. Sprouts are extremely nutritious. I have sprouted for over 40 yrs with no problem and never a doubt. As I have stated on other threads, get seeds processed for sprouting (the label will be clearly marked). I have used Ziplocs, hemp bags, various glass and plastic containers, and ceramics. For backpacking I like something rigid so that the growing sprouts won't be crushed. Air must circulate freely in the growing container. But all depends on your circumstances and the type of backpack you use. I use a compressed type, and that's why I like a rigid container for sprouts. I like alfalfa best of all (taste like raw peanuts to me) and I mix in some radish and mustard seeds which are pretty hot and spicy. Can't go wrong with sprouts!

squeezebox
11-13-2015, 21:32
But do sprouts need to be in the dark during the day? I could see 1-2 modified bicycle water bottles upside down in the side pockets. I need a little more know how to hike and sprout info. Please

Casey & Gina
11-13-2015, 22:52
Unsprouted seeds often contain inhibitors that prevent absorbtion of nutrients.

rocketsocks
11-13-2015, 23:33
Cha Cha Cha Chia.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Mc27788ae1f03a13c6c7a2e065467b692H0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Dogwood
11-14-2015, 02:54
Normally I'd take you up on that Perdidochas, but I've been doing enough research for others that they could easily do for themselves. Besides, YOU NEVER PROVED a quote I gave as coming from Chief Seattle never came from him as you claimed.

ocourse
11-14-2015, 07:36
But do sprouts need to be in the dark during the day? I could see 1-2 modified bicycle water bottles upside down in the side pockets. I need a little more know how to hike and sprout info. Please

Dark or darkened, yes. My home sprouter is of translucent or white plastic and works well in front of the kitchen window. Your suggested method would work fine if you can avoid getting the bottle dirty, and if it doesn't admit too much light. My concern would be that all the air freely circulating through the ventilation holes in the bottom would dry out the sprouts too much as you hike along. But I think it would certainly be a minor consideration - you could just check periodically. Sprouts will grow as long as they are moist, and perhaps it's more accurate to say the darker - the faster they grow and there will be fewer seeds that won't sprout. For years, after the sprouts had reached the length (flavor) I wanted, I would put them in indirect sunlight for several hours so that they would green up. I had read that this increases their nutrition. But my current seed supplier doesn't say anything about greening them.

I have used a plastic container as mentioned above with a drilled top, and it works very well. Sprouts need clean water at least 2 times a day. Alfalfa will sprout in maybe 3 days unless it's cool. I often keep 2 containers going so that I always have some.

My hemp bags came from https://sproutman.com/ I was going to post my home system and was shocked to see that it isn't listed any more. It's big but I prefer it. It's a big cup with a smaller cup inside with a slotted bottom. The slots hold the seeds in when rinsing, and the size difference allows air circulation. There are different lids and one will lock down.

ocourse
11-14-2015, 07:42
Correction to the above - my home system is still available. It's too big for backpacking, for me at least, but it is the best system I have used and someone might be interested in it. I have 3!
http://sprouthouse.com/easy-sprout-sprouter-price-includes-shipping/

Pedaling Fool
11-14-2015, 08:08
[QUOTE=GeoRed;2018936]...but you must be careful. Young children, older people and anyone with weakened immune systems should avoid eating sprouts .......and pregnant women....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/sprouts-e-coli-risk_b_875103.html

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/allyoucaneat/2014/05/23/are-raw-sprouts-safe-to-eat/

trailhermit
11-14-2015, 09:41
Correction to the above - my home system is still available. It's too big for backpacking, for me at least, but it is the best system I have used and someone might be interested in it. I have 3!
http://sprouthouse.com/easy-sprout-sprouter-price-includes-shipping/
I saw that and was wondering how it worked. I have only used jars. How big is it?

ocourse
11-14-2015, 09:53
I saw that and was wondering how it worked. I have only used jars. How big is it?

7" high and the top diameter is 5", while the bottom diameter is 3.25".

As far as the sprout-related health concerns or risks, I don't want to dispute what anyone has said and we should all know to beware what you find on the internet. I think the risks are extremely small compared to anything we do or ingest. Maybe check CDC and Wikipedia also for info.
If we as consumers truly believe this is a problem, then we need to give up driving, riding, doctors, cats, hiking, steps, drinking water, etc. We should stay away from all plastics too. And hamburger.

Dogwood
11-14-2015, 10:56
Thx for mentioning this GeoRed and Pedaling Fool. However, some considerations might be noted.

Washing produce with clean water is always a good idea no matter the type or source but things shouldn't be approached with an a alarmist attitude when it comes to sprouts. There are some wise considerations to take into account as one grows sprouts;this applies to growing on trail. However, sprouts in themselves don't pose the risks. It's the growing and washing with tainted water that has been strongly linked to both the closely timed microbial outbreaks in the U.S. and Germany. In the U.S. there is strong indication the sprouts were contaminated by water from a feedlot livestock pond that overflowed NOT originating at or because of the farm where the sprouts were grown. Both these linked to articles, and plenty more, were written at a time when within a short period there were multiple outbreaks linked to lettuces and then sprouts so the drama, hysteria inducing, and fear mongering began. It also provided fodder for retribution by industries that were attacked by pro-vegetarian groups involving contaminations in the meat and dairy supply.

There is a LONG history of SAFELY eating sprouts so those accounts and some more documented by the CDC and FDA shouldn't be assumed as the norm. The CDC offered this recommendation, "Young children, older people and anyone with weakened immune systems should avoid eating sprouts ...." at the time of these outbreaks. Krogers, as well as several stores that had carried sprouts, made their decisions upon many factors with the primary consideration being an economic one NOT a safety one.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-..._b_875103.html (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/sprouts-e-coli-risk_b_875103.html)

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/allyou...s-safe-to-eat/ (http://blogs.seattletimes.com/allyoucaneat/2014/05/23/are-raw-sprouts-safe-to-eat/)

squeezebox
11-14-2015, 11:03
I wonder where the young, old, pregnant warning comes from.
Some people will conclude that if sprouts are healthy eating nothing but sprouts would be even healthier. Not!!!
Warm up a few brain cells first.
Also I would not sprout from seeds produced for planting. I'm thinking about the possibility of fungicides and such. I would think that food grade beans and seeds should be okay. not necessarily sprout grade seeds.
I will use only filtered water on the trail. and will rinse them during the day a time or 2 to keep them from drying out.
Another question. If I'm going to use a qt. jar at home for sprouting how many seeds do I put in? 1/2 cup? I expect a kinda depends answer but give it a shot anyway.
Enzymes are proteins.
Any other thoughts? Thanks!!
May the lightness be upon you!!

Odd Man Out
11-14-2015, 11:18
A couple of observations. Photosynthesis will increase calories in plants but only after leaves are produced. None of the sprouts I've seen get to this point so I doubt you are generating additional calories by doing this. Also spouting will generate enzymes but they don't equal energy nor do you any good other than you can digest them for the protein. However the notion that nutrients become more available or micronutrients could be produced in the sprouting process makes sense. Will need to search for science based publications sicerely there is so much misinformation in nutrition literature.

ocourse
11-14-2015, 13:05
Some people will conclude that if sprouts are healthy eating nothing but sprouts would be even healthier. Not!!!
Also I would not sprout from seeds produced for planting. I'm thinking about the possibility of fungicides and such. I would think that food grade beans and seeds should be okay. not necessarily sprout grade seeds.
I will use only filtered water on the trail. and will rinse them during the day a time or 2 to keep them from drying out.
Another question. If I'm going to use a qt. jar at home for sprouting how many seeds do I put in? 1/2 cup? I expect a kinda depends answer but give it a shot anyway.
Enzymes are proteins.

This is a good, informative thread!
The amount of seeds to use depends mostly on the type of seed. Alfalfa and mustard, for example, are tiny and a tablespoon might yield a pint of mature sprouts. Mung and the lentils are much larger seeds and make larger sprouts but not as many sprouts from that same spoonful of seeds. Other factors affecting yield are temperature, seed quality and age, amount of moisture, and how long you let them continue to grow. BTW, at home they practically stop growing when refrigerated and the sprouts then will "keep" a couple of weeks. You're right - it kinda depends. You can also sprout nuts, but I haven't tried that.

Pedaling Fool
11-14-2015, 14:27
No one is creating drama or hysteria with the warnings, no more so than threads on filtering water or the threads on the Norovirus. Just bringing up a fact, which isn't some crazy information found on the "internet" -- it's a fact, just accept it and stop being so defensive.

That's not to say I personally would worry about eating sprouts, nor am I recommending any not eat sprouts, just pointing out fact. There are actually quite a few cases of sickness caused by eating sprouts. It's not just some crazy information on the internet, one of my links was an interview with this guy http://www.foodscience.caes.uga.edu/personnel/faculty/doyle.html

Dogwood
11-14-2015, 16:04
It's not being defensive. It's offering context. Absolutely, sprouts have been shown to spread microbes in cases. That's good info. The media ran with the dangers from those outbreaks though creating some frenzy of negativity though. The CDC did what was appropriate giving alerts to those who may be especially at a higher risk. The CDC here in the U.S. did an exceptional job IMO with those lettuce and sprout outbreaks I'm referring to. Yes, you are absolutely right those outbreaks involving produce and specifically sprouts were certainly not the first.

Dogwood
11-14-2015, 16:06
Enzymes are proteins.

+2 Indeed, good info. THX for sharing.

squeezebox
11-14-2015, 21:20
first a question. What about wheat grass? I'm thinking of doing garden starts this winter, so some basement space with lights will be available.
then another question. What are the size of Mr. Sprouts bags.
My latest thought about hiking and sprouting is; 2 bags with a very dark bandanna sewn as a bag to cover those from light during the day, a small hole in the center top to run the loops through, bottom open. Do sprouting as normal , hang on pack during the day. Am I getting too complicated here? I hope not.
Again your opinions please.

May the lightness grow upon you !!

Dogwood
11-14-2015, 21:58
Ohh, one more thing. It pertains to some differences in how large bunches of sprouts are normally sprouted for markets verses what is done with the hemp bags for individual use when hiking. One of the big reasons why a hemp fabric bag is used for sprouting is that hemp has anti-microbial properties and is quite durable. I've had one still in use after more than 50+ sproutings.

Really, some, including authorities, should think about the huge benefits of hemp such as nutritious hemp seed, hemp oil, and fibers/clothing/building materials, etc made from the hemp plant. And , NO you don't get high from these products. Expand your brain cells. Hemp isn't just about Hippies or doing drugs.

squeezebox
11-14-2015, 22:33
so hemp oil and hemp seed are not intoxicating? I thought hemp oil was basically hashish.
yes I've heard hemp makes a good fabric.
But please a little respect for me. I have been a serious alcoholic for some time. mostly functional. But it has pretty much ruined my life.
So when I hear about pot and other chemically enhanced stupidity, it makes me think of how I have hurt myself and the ones around me.
Yes pot and alcohol should be legal for those that can use it properly. But not for me !!

Odd Man Out
11-14-2015, 23:22
Hemp fabric has no psychoactive compounds. I have two hemp shirts and they are fabulously comfy.

Dogwood
11-15-2015, 00:13
Perfect example of the result of the federal govt's stigmatization of hemp and misunderstanding although I certainly can't say I know everything about hemp or marijuana either. Hemp does not equal marijuana. Hemp oil does not equal cannabidiol, abbrev. CBD, or oil. Hence, hemp, hemp seed, and hemp oils are not illegal. They don't contain THC. You can find products containing these at health food stores. I can't imagine someone mistakenly attempting to drink a bottle of hemp containing shampoo to "catch a buzz."

Indeed, I too had two hemp shirts. One a sweet short sleeve button down that worked nicely in hot weather. Very comfortable. NOT SMOKEABLE INGESTABLE!

Shelled hemp seed, sometimes referred to as hemp hearts, has excellent amounts of protein having all the essential amino acids, a great nutty taste, very dense(compact), and has some excellent fats Omega 6 and Omega 3 in the proper ratio, GLA(Gamma Linoleic Acid) that could have anti inflammatory properties, antioxidants, and possibly be energizing. Kind of a superfood for hiking. I buy it even at some Walmarts adding it to all manner of trail dinners, snacks, trail mixes, nut butters, yogurt/smoothies at home, etc!

lynn523
11-15-2015, 02:16
"Another question. If I'm going to use a qt. jar at home for sprouting how many seeds do I put in? 1/2 cup? I expect a kinda depends answer but give it a shot anyway."

Squeezebox, I didn't see anyone answer your question, so I will. I routinely grow my own sprouts (love them on sandwiches and can't buy them already grown where I live).They're really easy to grow, so I imagine there's more than 1 valid answer. At home, I use Mason Jars with a screen cut to fit inside the ring. I generally use anywhere from one to three tablespoons, depending on size of the seeds. 1 tablespoon seems to work well in my pint and quart size jars for very small seeds, such as for alfalfa, clover, and radish sprouts (all delicious and easy to grow). At home, I pre-soak them in water for 8-24 hours, depending on size. Overnight is generally fine, though I suspect it would work just fine if you skipped this step. I drain the water each morning, rinse, and then leave the bottle tilted upside down in a small bowl or plastic container so it can drain. If it's really dry, I do another rinse at night. They sit on my kitchen counter all day. Its indirect sunlight in my kitchen and I've found that raising them in darkness is NOT necessary. I never do. (If I were to try growing them on the trail, I'd prolly just use a bag of some sort and tie it on the outside of the pack. If they get dirty, they can be rinsed.). Hope this helps.

ocourse
11-15-2015, 07:31
first a question. What about wheat grass? I'm thinking of doing garden starts this winter, so some basement space with lights will be available.
then another question. What are the size of Mr. Sprouts bags.
My latest thought about hiking and sprouting is; 2 bags with a very dark bandanna sewn as a bag to cover those from light during the day, a small hole in the center top to run the loops through, bottom open. Do sprouting as normal , hang on pack during the day. Am I getting too complicated here? I hope not.
Again your opinions please.

May the lightness grow upon you !!

The Mr. Sprout bags I have measure 7" x 11". There's nothing wrong with your plan, although the bags themselves are dark enough. The weave is pretty tight.

Marta
11-15-2015, 10:44
Some personal experience to back up Dogwood's warning about using clean water... When our family moved to Russia in the winter of 1993, I made sprouts to make up for the complete lack of vegetables available for sale. What I didn't know was that giardia was endemic in the city water system. My sprout farm was actually a giardia farm. Great weight loss technique!

squeezebox
11-17-2015, 18:18
The Mr. Sprout bags I have measure 7" x 11". There's nothing wrong with your plan, although the bags themselves are dark enough. The weave is pretty tight.
Hence my question if I was thinking too complicated. I guess I was.