PDA

View Full Version : short sleepimg pad

squeezebox
11-12-2015, 16:44
I was reading the thread about using 2 pads for winter. It got me thinking about what I would do for winter. Currently I have a large xtherm, I wanted the extra width but they don't make that in reg length. I was thinking maybe instead of the extra CCf pad I might go with a short inflatable instead of CCF and Xtherm. So I was thinking a short Xlite with the big xtherm. So now I'm thinking what about the short xlite by itself in the summer. What are your experiences with a 48x 20 xlite. I could try cutting down a CCf to that size and see how that goes before spend a bunch of $$ on a short xlite. But it sounds like most folks use full length pads.
Your opinion please.

nsherry61
11-12-2015, 17:05
I use a short x-lite in the summer and sometimes I use the same short x-lite with a full length CCF pad in the winter. Even in winter, the CCF pad alone is generally warm enough for my feet, just not my hips and shoulders. I would think two inflatables would be rather unwieldy and in your case, in addition to an x-therm, overkill. I have also often used a full length three-season inflatable pad with a short CCF pad under my torso for added warmth. That also worked well.

Sandy of PA
11-12-2015, 21:07
Because of the "drop off" of inflatables like the Neo-Airs, I have found full length works best for me.

squeezebox
11-12-2015, 22:36
Because of the "drop off" of inflatables like the Neo-Airs, I have found full length works best for me.

But the large weighs so much more than the short, mostly thinking about summer use.

MuddyWaters
11-12-2015, 23:01
I have probably 50 nights on a short xlite.
Im ok with it with a ccf piece under feet in warmer weather.
Its very narrow at thighs, takes getting used too. Best for slim fit people that can turn over in place on them. Heavy people wont like it.

Kerosene
11-12-2015, 23:25
I've used a shortie Thermarest of some sort since about 2003, mostly for spring or fall week+ section hikes. I put my the padded back panel of my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone underneath my legs to (a) keep my heels from digging into the ground; and (b) provide some insulation. I typically cover my pack in a small trash bag as it can get wet from sweat and rain. The configuration isn't as comfortable as a full-length pad of course, but it's worth the 7+ ounce weight savings to me. In some cases, the additional height of the pack can offset the inevitable slope of the ground, but I do need to reposition myself through the night as I'm a restless side sleeper.

This configuration works down to about 25 degrees; if I anticipate temps in that range for more than a night, I will add a full-length foam pad.