PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag size

SkeeterPee
11-12-2015, 21:33
I have a 35f bag that has a 60in shoulder girth. somehow I fit into it in the store. Now I find it really too tight to sleep in. when I measure around my chest and arms, it is 59 inches when I breath in. so perhaps a 60 in bag was not a smart move. fortunately I can just not zip it up fully and through a jacket over the shoulders and be fine even at 32F.

I am not looking to try some backpacking at year end where max record lows have been -3, but average lows are 23f. I am looking at a 15 to 20f bag and I have a bag liner that adds about 15f that I will take along.

I tried a 64 inch shoulder girth bag and it was better, but still not sure that would be comfortable. One old white blaze article said to add 10 inches to your shoulder measurment as an appropriate shoulder girth. that would imply 69 inches.

REI has several long wide bags with a 70in girth. I tried one in the store and it is very comfortable. it might be too big, It was the REi Radiant model http://www.rei.com/product/862474/rei-radiant-sleeping-bag

searching on line I also see the Marmot sawtooth http://www.rei.com/product/864091/marmot-sawtooth-sleeping-bag it is 63 in a regular length and 65 in a long. I'll give them a try in the store as they look to be better bags, but only if they are comfortable.

Does anyone else have a bag that has wide shoulder girth?

Venchka
11-12-2015, 22:23
The Western Mountaineering Alpinlite Regular is 64" and the Long is 65". They have other bags that are wider.

Sent from somewhere around here.

Studlintsean
11-12-2015, 23:36
The Western Mountaineering Alpinlite Regular is 64" and the Long is 65". They have other bags that are wider.

I use the same bag in the winter (Reg Size) and have used it down to 15 deg and slept fine (on a winter pad).

Venchka
11-12-2015, 23:40
I use the same bag in the winter (Reg Size) and have used it down to 15 deg and slept fine (on a winter pad).

Thanks for the report. I eagerly await sleeping in my still new Alpinlite just as soon as Texas cools down a bit. Can't wait.

Wayne

dervari
11-13-2015, 00:09
I'm looking at the Big Agnes Fish Hawk. 73" at the shoulders.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

LIhikers
11-13-2015, 01:00
Check out the Montbell line of Down Hugger bags.
The shoulder girth expands to 73 inches.

Hangfire
11-13-2015, 02:55
I used 2 different sleeping bags on my thru, one was big and roomy (cold weather bag) and one was tight around the shoulders (summer bag). Make sure and get something that you are comfortable in, that feeling of thinking your bags too tight isn't fun if you have claustrophobia like me. REI has a nice return policy if you're not sure.

jdc5294
11-13-2015, 16:23
Feathered Friends is one of the better sleeping bag manufacturers, they make bags in many different shapes, one of them is called "Wide Mummy" .

jdc5294
11-13-2015, 16:36
Feathered Friends is one of the better sleeping bag manufacturers, they make bags in many different shapes, one of them is called "Wide Mummy" .
Sorry forgot to say they will also custom build a bag for you.

squeezebox
11-13-2015, 18:03
Some people go to a quilt for that reason. One PITA for me is I'm less than 5'8" but want the bigger girth. It's hard to find the bigger girth bag without going to the long bag with the subsequent wasted space. But not impossible. I went too far and got the extra wide quilt it has more inside space I have to heat up, therefore it feels colder than the listed rating, more wasted space.

Studlintsean
11-13-2015, 18:17
Some people go to a quilt for that reason. One PITA for me is I'm less than 5'8" but want the bigger girth. It's hard to find the bigger girth bag without going to the long bag with the subsequent wasted space. But not impossible. I went too far and got the extra wide quilt it has more inside space I have to heat up, therefore it feels colder than the listed rating, more wasted space.

why not just tuck the edges of the quilt under you tight? Then you wouldn't have any extra "space" to heat up.

SkeeterPee
11-13-2015, 19:58
thank you for all the suggestions. Many of these I had not found searching this site and google.

squeezebox
11-13-2015, 21:04
why not just tuck the edges of the quilt under you tight? Then you wouldn't have any extra "space" to heat up.

After turning from side to side a few times you are un-tucked. PITA to wake up every 2 hours to re-tuck. But I'm an old guy and I pee a lot during the night. Yea it can be done. But PITA.

Venchka
11-13-2015, 22:28
I'm looking at the Big Agnes Fish Hawk. 73" at the shoulders.

Good grief. That thing must weigh a ton.

Wayne

dervari
11-13-2015, 22:40
Good grief. That thing must weigh a ton.

Wayne

2lb 15oz Not too bad for such a large bag.

Venchka
11-13-2015, 22:51
And the temperature rating?
Sorry, but that bag is too wide. Unless you are really wide.
My test for a bag: If I can lie on my back with my arms at my sides and my arms are just touching the zipper baffle and opposite side it's good. That gives me enough room to turn and sleep on my side. My WM Antelope is that size. But I'm kinda narrow.

Wayne

dervari
11-13-2015, 23:53
And the temperature rating?
Sorry, but that bag is too wide. Unless you are really wide.
My test for a bag: If I can lie on my back with my arms at my sides and my arms are just touching the zipper baffle and opposite side it's good. That gives me enough room to turn and sleep on my side. My WM Antelope is that size. But I'm kinda narrow.

Wayne

30F. I may try a smaller bag at REI but that one was comfy.