PDA

View Full Version : One way to "Simmer" with a cat can stove:

Kookork
11-12-2015, 23:53
Simmering with a cat can stove has not been an option for me but with the help of metal cap of a bottle ( weighs less than a gram on my digital scale) now I am able to simmer with my cat can stove.

It is free, consumes about 3 cc alcohol(0.1 fluid Oz) and simmers the food for about 4 minutes.

To the right is a metal cap of a bottle and to the left is a small version of a cat can stove.I use the smaller version of cat can stove because I use my cat stove inside my bushcooker LT I and a normal cat can stove is too big for a bushcooker LT I.

Fill the cap with alcohol and put it in the middle of the empty cat stove and lit it ( 3 cc burns for 4 minutes give or take)

Put the mug over the cat can stove and simmer....

Here is the way I simmer with the help of a bushcooker LT I , a cat can stove and a metal cap when I am not using wood as the fuel.

PackHorse
11-16-2015, 01:29
Not to hijack the thread, but to continue on the simmering subject. How would you make a simmering ring for an aluminum bottle alcohol stove? I believe a ring outside the stove with a few holes punched for air? Maybe something soda can size?

Kookork
11-16-2015, 01:41
Not to hijack the thread, but to continue on the simmering subject. How would you make a simmering ring for an aluminum bottle alcohol stove? I believe a ring outside the stove with a few holes punched for air? Maybe something soda can size?

I Did not get the concept of "a ring outside the stove with a few holes punched for air?" .maybe you mean a ring that can block all but one or two of the holes that alcohol burns from them? .BTW, you can't hijack a thread with zero response:).

PackHorse
11-16-2015, 09:24
Is the intent of "simmering" to slow the burning of the fuel? I see some videos of adding an additional wall or ring outside of the stove, yet inside of the wind screen. This ring (think soda can without top or bottom) having a few holes to allow air. Is this correct? My questions would be, has anyone made one for the aluminum bottle stove? Or is it just trial and error to make one?
Yours is different in that you added a cap inside to contain the fuel. I'm looking to use the larger vessel for a longer simmer time.

Kookork
11-16-2015, 11:26
Is the intent of "simmering" to slow the burning of the fuel? I see some videos of adding an additional wall or ring outside of the stove, yet inside of the wind screen. This ring (think soda can without top or bottom) having a few holes to allow air. Is this correct? My questions would be, has anyone made one for the aluminum bottle stove? Or is it just trial and error to make one?
Yours is different in that you added a cap inside to contain the fuel. I'm looking to use the larger vessel for a longer simmer time.

look at this Brasslite alcohol stove and how they invented a way to simmer with it. With some modifications you can adapt it to your stove. ( still a delicate work but certainly doable).
http://brasslite.com/