PDA

View Full Version : 16 Year Old Missing On The Iron Mountain Trail

TOW
11-13-2015, 09:24
I am organizing a search party here in Damascus to conduct a search for a missing girl on the Iron Mountain Trail between Damascus, Va and Shady Valley, TN If you can help we need you now! 276-274-3637 and here is a news clip of an interview I did with WJHL News 11 last night.....

http://wjhl.com/2015/11/12/search-underway-for-missing-teen-in-johnson-county/

Gambit McCrae
11-13-2015, 09:33
Contact Skip in Atkins He is a search and rescue coordinator in the area

TOW
11-13-2015, 09:40
Thanx............................

Tennessee Viking
11-13-2015, 09:51
I have a buddy in Boone who is S&R already helping on it.

TOW
11-13-2015, 10:06
Made contact with him thanx again man

TOW
11-13-2015, 10:08
I have a buddy in Boone who is S&R already helping on it.
Have him get in touch with Johnson County Sheriffs Office (423) 727-7761

Ktaadn
11-13-2015, 10:49
Wow, and I thought the quality of a Baltimore newscast was bad.

Good luck in your search Larry. I hope you find her safe and sound.

TOW
11-13-2015, 11:06
Wow, and I thought the quality of a Baltimore newscast was bad.

Good luck in your search Larry. I hope you find her safe and sound.
Buddy I am a legend in my own mind already so I just boosted WJHL's image big time, I know these kind of things. And it is a miracle that I would be even aware of that since I never have been aware of anything, I just simply amaze myself.

Things are coming together, slowly............

Slo-go'en
11-13-2015, 12:59
I've been on that section of trail a couple of times. All in all, not an easy trail to follow in some places. Good luck.

Going NOBO on the IMT I took a wrong turn as I approached Damascus and ended up on an abandoned section. By the time it started to peter out and I realized my mistake, I was too far into it to turn around. I eventually came out to a road miles from town, but it took all my route finding skills to keep track of that abandoned trail.

QHShowoman
11-13-2015, 17:33
Looks like she doesn't have much hiking experience. At all. Hope she's found safe.

http://freedommountainacademy.com/blog/

TOW
11-13-2015, 19:18
'The girl has not been found as of this post. They (Johnson County sheriff) have "decided" not have the volunteers help out with the search. For whatever reason, they want to keep the effort within the department. They have delayed the search way too long and now the girl, if still in the woods, will be exposed to cold temperatures tonight. So our participation in the effort has come to an end.'

However if you are Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS certified and you want to volunteer then please show up at the Shady Valley, Tennessee Fire Hall at 0800 hrs tomorrow morning with your credentials!

QHShowoman
11-14-2015, 10:25
Looks like the FBI has been brought in. Doesn't sound like the school is being cooperative from this report. http://m.wcyb.com/news/search-for-girl-missing-from-boarding-school-fbi-now-involved/36426808

Uncle Joe
11-14-2015, 10:57
If law enforcement is tightening this up it could be a sign they have expectations that a crime was committed and are concerned with how she might be found. Sad.

4eyedbuzzard
11-14-2015, 11:19
Or, they may suspect she is a runaway, possibly being aided by someone (friend, boyfriend?). The school is basically a mid to high price ($27,500/year) alternative school for - let's call them troubled or non-achieving teens. Reform school lite. She's been there a month and may have had enough of twice per day farm/garden chores, austere life with few luxuries, no social media, responsibilities, discipline, etc. A bunch of people out calling her name in the woods may not be the best approach in finding her, especially if her intent is NOT to be found and returned to the environment she is escaping. This could well be a troubled kid running, not just a lost hiker.

It would seem the authorities know more about this situation than what is being made public. They probably have some good reasons for only wanting trained people out looking for her.

Five Tango
11-14-2015, 20:52
Was it a day hike or were they all carrying overnight packs?From the picture it looks like she could survive for a while with the gear shown.It gets cold in those mountains this time of year.

Lone Wolf
11-14-2015, 21:03
this "school" is sketchy. FBI is on it cuz they refuse to help in the investigation. i highly doubt this kid is lost in those mountains.

QHShowoman
11-15-2015, 09:37
The school made a comment on their FB page that she was a "runaway." I responded that all the news reports to date never mentioned her being a runaway. They replied with some CYA answer that they feel police know what they're doing. It's fishy. The folks that founded the school are very anti-government & anti-establishment. I can't find any dirt on the school or its founders. They seem
well-respected. But something ain't right.

TOW
11-15-2015, 09:47
http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/1257849/1

TOW
11-15-2015, 09:47
http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/1257849/1

This is the Amber Alert

Bronk
11-15-2015, 10:41
Perhaps the school is refusing to provide some information in order to protect the privacy of the girl and her family and this is what they consider uncooperative. If you read on their website this is not a school for troubled kids. In their contract is specifically says that they do not want undesirable students at their school.

QHShowoman
11-15-2015, 11:11
Perhaps the school is refusing to provide some information in order to protect the privacy of the girl and her family and this is what they consider uncooperative. If you read on their website this is not a school for troubled kids. In their contract is specifically says that they do not want undesirable students at their school.

Refusing to provide info to the press is one thing. Refusing to proving info to authorities to help them in their search is another. Reports have accused the school of the latter.

4eyedbuzzard
11-15-2015, 11:31
... If you read on their website this is not a school for troubled kids. In their contract is specifically says that they do not want undesirable students at their school.No, they don't want undesirable kids, as in kids with criminal, violent, or even just wholesale defiant behavior. But their program's focus is ultimately behavior modification for kids who aren't flourishing in mainstream schools and/or life in general, and whose concerned parents have $30K+/year to spend to try and straighten them out before they "lose" them. From the school's homepage, [my bold for emphasis]
"Students leave behind the distractions of contemporary society and enter a comprehensive program combining academic study, farm work, and wilderness adventure, which has been designed to reawaken their inherent love of learning and untapped potential. Located among the beautiful mountains of northeast Tennessee, Freedom Mountain Academy provides a secure, healthy haven where teens—whether high achievers or teenagers struggling with school and life—have a chance to be excellent and to reawaken the belief in themselves they once held as children."

Few parents are going to shell out $30K+/year if their child is a high achiever and successful in their current academic and life setting. Why would they? As a parent I can tell you that when your kids are doing well, you don't mess with a good thing. Schools like this one exist to try to save kids with potential who for many reasons just aren't succeeding in mainstream schools and/or life in general. They typically operate on the concept of removing the child from negative and distracting influences, and creating a setting where privileges are earned (no entitlement) - where positive behavior earns those rewards, while negative behavior results in the loss of privileges. AKA, creating good old fashioned self-discipline.

This particular school has students living very "close to the earth" from a 21st century standpoint - no electricity, no internet, no social media, chores and farm work every morning AND afternoon, and control of virtual all aspects of a student's life. If you read stories that are out there from their past students, you'll find many who thought about running away, especially after the first month or so. So, if that's what happened, it isn't all that surprising. Not everyone adapts easily to such draconian change - some can't handle the withdrawal from what they know and want, some get homesick, and some are just uncontrollable. Most young people adapt, but grudgingly especially in the beginning. Some simply don't, and run away, go AWOL, etc. You'll see runaway behavior in mainstream boarding schools, colleges, military, etc.

A little more insight on the school at http://fee.org/freeman/reform-school-or-school-reform/

QHShowoman
11-15-2015, 11:46
What's weird is that Ava started the school year in DC public schools and then transferred out in October.
She's DC born and raised - a city kid. And pretty into the social media thing, like most kids her age. Can't imagine she'd ASK to go to such a school.

George
11-15-2015, 19:51
I have encountered several "troubled youth" hiking groups over the years - one of the leaders said he collects the boots/ shoes nightly to discourage "escapees"

TexasBob
11-16-2015, 00:04
What's weird is that Ava started the school year in DC public schools and then transferred out in October.
She's DC born and raised - a city kid. And pretty into the social media thing, like most kids her age. Can't imagine she'd ASK to go to such a school.

I was a high school teacher and there is obviously a lot more to this students story. High school is a miserable experience for some students especially with the social media thing. She is just a kid in reality and I think she deserves some privacy about what ever has happened in her life before this incident. Not saying anything bad about you QHShowoman, just worried for this girl. I hope she is safe.

QHShowoman
11-16-2015, 00:09
I was a high school teacher and there is obviously a lot more to this students story. High school is a miserable experience for some students especially with the social media thing. She is just a kid in reality and I think she deserves some privacy about what ever has happened in her life before this incident. Not saying anything bad about you QHShowoman, just worried for this girl. I hope she is safe.

I am worried for her, too. Everything I've posted is publicly available info -- what I know of Ava is what I've read in either news reports or via her various social media sites.

QHShowoman
11-17-2015, 14:25
Ava has been found! Search and rescue found her in the woods. She is healthy and on her way back to her family!

Gambit McCrae
11-17-2015, 14:39
Great news! Thanks to everyone who helped

GoldenBear
11-17-2015, 15:36
http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/11/16/teen-missing-days-cherokee-national-forest/75890806/

Not much, I admit, but this URL would probably the first with detailed info.

rocketsocks
11-17-2015, 15:50
Good deal.

gsingjane
11-17-2015, 18:15
Like many here, I have been following Ava's story with concern and trepidation. I am SO glad she was found alive... I didn't think that would be the outcome, frankly.

It seems pretty clear that this young lady's life is not in a place where she or her parents are happy and comfortable. And, I for one would judge her, or them, and I only hope that she gets to where she can recover and literally set her foot onto a new path. Luckily, she is still so young.

I must say, though, as a trip leader, my blood ran cold when I read the Washington Post story (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/a-16-year-old-vanished-in-tennessees-mountains-her-dc-parents-are-desperate-to-find-her/2015/11/17/7dfd08fc-8d42-11e5-ae1f-af46b7df8483_story.html) that indicated that when Ava disappeared, she had left a group hike after refusing to hike any further and "running away." This may not be true, but if it is, wow. I, too, have had kids out there who seriously didn't want to be there. When you have a group, it isn't impossible for someone to separate; a person could even claim to be taking a "rest stop" and then just disappear. As a leader, you sure can't control every minute of what everybody does.

For me, it has never risen to the point of someone separating from a group (although I've had adults do that) but it does make me wonder, is it just too risky to take people out when they absolutely positively do not want to go. Is this an activity that, due to its potential downsides, really isn't appropriate under circumstances like these? I mean I think we can all agree, it is nothing short of a miracle that Ava survived for six long, cold days and nights out there - the far more likely outcome, if she hadn't left the back-country, would be that she didn't.

I am certainly all for the character-building aspects of back-country hiking and backpacking - as so many will attest, it can be a life-changing experience. But I also wonder, a lot at this point, about the wisdom of programs that take people into the back-country who really REALLY don't want to go, and almost certainly don't understand the risks of just charging off. What do other leaders think about this?

Jane

gsingjane
11-17-2015, 18:15
Would NOT judge... darn.

Jane

Kookork
11-17-2015, 20:17
Would NOT judge... darn.

Jane

I think most of us judge people knowingly or unknowingly . Some us do it loudly and write about it and some of us censor ourselves and pretend we do not judge them. A small group of folks are truly non judgmental. I m jealous of them.

4eyedbuzzard
11-17-2015, 20:29
I think most of us judge people knowingly or unknowingly . Some us do it loudly and write about it and some of us censor ourselves and pretend we do not judge them. A small group of folks are truly non judgmental. I m jealous of them.Everybody judges. Even the so-called non-judgmental folks judge. For example, they judge those who judge, or judge events and/or people as being not worthy of their judgment or time. It's not really a choice. It's what your mind does automatically.

Back on topic, I'm glad she was found in good health. Hopefully she'll take something positive away from all the negative in this experience.

Uncle Joe
11-17-2015, 20:41
She's been found alive and in good condition: http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/50650922-story

Kookork
11-17-2015, 20:42
Everybody judges. Even the so-called non-judgmental folks judge. For example, they judge those who judge, or judge events and/or people as being not worthy of their judgment or time. It's not really a choice. It's what your mind does automatically.

Back on topic, I'm glad she was found in good health. Hopefully she'll take something positive away from all the negative in this experience.

You said it better than me.

4eyedbuzzard
11-17-2015, 20:50
Reports are she was found by BDSARCO, Black Diamond Search And Rescue Council, A Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) State resource. They are a 501(3)c non-profit org for search, rescue and recovery operations. http://www.bdsarco.org/?page_id=2

Marta
11-17-2015, 20:58
So glad she's been found. I hope she and her parents can now reach a detente...

MuddyWaters
11-17-2015, 22:11
Awesome outcome.
Its nice to find people alive and well.

4eyedbuzzard
11-18-2015, 09:37
http://wjhl.com/2015/11/17/sheriff-missing-16-year-old-out-of-johnson-co-found/ According to the report, Ava was found very close to where she originally went missing / got separated. She apparently had enough gear and skills, rationed her food, etc., and walked out with rescuers when found. She wasn't incapacitated. It's kind of odd, given how far sound such as a whistle or even yelling for help travels, especially at night, and given that the search area must have concentrated on where she became separated. It will be interesting when (and if) the entire story gets reported.

SawnieRobertson
11-18-2015, 13:05
Bravo, Jane. Even with backpacks that kids like Scouts believe in advance that they will love, no good comes from it if they find that they hate it (and their "friends" but have to continue. Instead of emphasizing the good, the splendors, of backcountry travel on foot, perhaps more time should be spent discussing the problems that each will encounter out there. Weren't there always with each of us at least a few unsettling problems that developed on our first serious venture? I am speaking of how much the heavy backpack will hurt one's shoulders, for instance. Or how much blisters unaddressed can hurt. She was apparently well-prepared physically, but mentally, I do not think that as long as she was with her "companions" she was able to see the beauty. And I would doubt that, if she had not become "lost," she will ever want to walk a trail again. Too bad, but, if it was intentional, she seems to have made a point to her family and maybe those who are willing to question forcing and/or denigrating fellow hikers who are finding it "too much."

QHShowoman
11-20-2015, 11:13
http://wjhl.com/2015/11/17/sheriff-missing-16-year-old-out-of-johnson-co-found/ According to the report, Ava was found very close to where she originally went missing / got separated. She apparently had enough gear and skills, rationed her food, etc., and walked out with rescuers when found. She wasn't incapacitated. It's kind of odd, given how far sound such as a whistle or even yelling for help travels, especially at night, and given that the search area must have concentrated on where she became separated. It will be interesting when (and if) the entire story gets reported.

Someone close to the search & rescue team posted on another forum that the school initially gave them incorrect information about where Ava was separated from the group. Once the school was forthcoming with the correct information, she was found almost immediately. Early news reports corroborated that the school was not cooperative with authorities. Not sure why.

Posts by Ava's mother on her Facebook page indicated that she was "unable to walk" and that she had to be "carried" down the mountain. Seeing pictures of Ava immediately following the rescue, in stocking feet, I'd guess that her feet were probably just sore and blistered. Her parents took her back home to DC with them.

4eyedbuzzard
11-21-2015, 09:31
Someone close to the search & rescue team posted on another forum that the school initially gave them incorrect information about where Ava was separated from the group. Once the school was forthcoming with the correct information, she was found almost immediately. Early news reports corroborated that the school was not cooperative with authorities. Not sure why.

Posts by Ava's mother on her Facebook page indicated that she was "unable to walk" and that she had to be "carried" down the mountain. Seeing pictures of Ava immediately following the rescue, in stocking feet, I'd guess that her feet were probably just sore and blistered. Her parents took her back home to DC with them.

Interesting that her mother states that she was unable to walk, but her father stated that she walked out without a scratch after 5 days. The father's statement is in the video at http://wjhl.com/2015/11/17/sheriff-m...nson-co-found/ (http://wjhl.com/2015/11/17/sheriff-missing-16-year-old-out-of-johnson-co-found/)

Here is an interesting post from a missing person's forum regarding the search which basically tells a story that she refused to hike further and sat down. When she did, the group continued on to camp, set up, and they sent people back to get her. When they arrived at where she had sat down, she was gone.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?294835-TN-Ava-Zechiel-16-Cherokee-National-Forest-11-November-2015/page22&p=12192335#post12192335 My dh and ds were part of the search on Sunday. The information they were given was that she was with the group hiking on Wednesday when she decided that she would not go further and sat down. She refused to move, so the group left her there and continued on to the campsite to set up camp. When she did not show up at camp a little later, a couple of the others went back for her. She was gone.
The trail was very clear, and her options were to go forward towards camp or retrace her steps. My guys were involved in the off the trail search. In order to make any progress, they had to go on their hands and knees and bellies. It took an hour to make it about 40 feet because the undergrowth is so dense. They were scratched up and had splinters everywhere. No way this girl would have chosen to go off the trail. They are fairly certain she hiked back the way she had come because she did not hike forward to the camp.
It is very likely she has hiked out to the road and hitched or walked away. Dogs don't seem to be picking up anything. The trails for many, many miles around the area have been searched. Helicopter and infrared heat search has yielded nothing. The general feeling was that she had run away.There are some obvious differences in accounts being told. And given the circumstances, the accounts might well vary depending upon the group/leader's perspective, Ava's perspective, and that of the public. Where the most reasonable version of the truth lies has yet to be revealed.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the over-riding positive is that she was found and is safe.

Water Rat
11-21-2015, 09:57
I was very relieved to hear Ava had been found! Whatever the initial reason that caused her to become separated from her group, it sounds like she ultimately made the right decisions and was able to keep herself safe.

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this scenario because (IMO) it was very preventable. I was always taught that the group moves as fast/slow as the slowest person, you stay together, and you have 2 people (one in front and one bringing up the rear) who make sure everyone is accounted for.

I am having a really hard time understanding why it seems like there weren't at least 2 adults with this group of kids. I mean, especially these days with everyone threatening to sue everyone else at the drop of a hat. The school has been entrusted with the care of the children and they are ultimately the ones who are responsible for making sure the kids get back to their parents safe and sound. Kids are kids and they will make unsafe decisions at times... Kids new to the woods should not be left to fend for themselves after having had minimal exposure to the woods.

Making the entire group stop when Ava chose not to move on/physically could not move on (the details are too murky on this one) would have prevented Ava from becoming separated from the group. Having an adult stay back with Ava would also have prevented all this.

In my eyes, none of this adds up. It sounds like this might have been an exercise to "teach" the kids to become more self-sufficient, but this certainly is not the way to go about it (though, Ava did rely on herself and was able to stay safe). Giving the kids a few lessons and then having them fend for themselves is not the best way to get the kids to get meaning from the lesson, keep them safe, or keep future search and rescues from happening.

I certainly hope the school chooses to modify their hiking plans to do a better job of keeping the kids safe and accounted for.

Pedaling Fool
11-21-2015, 10:16
You almost never learn from these stories, because there is information given out, but much of that information is only the very minimal and without knowing the whole story it can be so misleading that it's basically better just to know someone went missing and they were found -- end of story. I'm still stuck on why a school would be less than helpful.

MuddyWaters
11-21-2015, 11:21
Im still stuck on why a school would be less than helpful.

Because they left her alone.
Ive no doubt the kid had an attitude and someone thought they would break it. And the kid thought they would show them. Thats how this stuff usually goes down

We wont ever know, its just good shes alright.

4eyedbuzzard
11-21-2015, 11:45
... I'm still stuck on why a school would be less than helpful.Well, there are many versions of the story out there in this incident. They differ based upon perspective. "Less than helpful" was the comment from the Johnson County Sheriff's office. And maybe it was to them from a LE perspective. There are issues in play that perhaps aren't visible on the surface. To speculate: What, if any, is the general relationship like between the sheriff's office and the school, it's staff, and students? Is it amicable, or perhaps not, i.e. is the school and student body welcome in the community? As one WB member local to the general area put it
this "school" is sketchy. FBI is on it cuz they refuse to help in the investigation. i highly doubt this kid is lost in those mountains.Does the Johnson County Sheriff's office have a similar negative opinion of the school? And if so, did it affect their investigation techniques? Did they approach the situation as a missing persons situation, or did they believe some sort of foul-play was involved from the get-go and proceed under that frame of mind?

Pedaling Fool
11-21-2015, 11:51
Well, there are many versions of the story out there in this incident. They differ based upon perspective. "Less than helpful" was the comment from the Johnson County Sheriff's office. And maybe it was to them from a LE perspective. There are issues in play that perhaps aren't visible on the surface. To speculate: What, if any, is the general relationship like between the sheriff's office and the school, it's staff, and students? Is it amicable, or perhaps not, i.e. is the school and student body welcome in the community? And that's my point, there seems to be no lessons learned from many of these situations; it only leads to a lot of speculation and opinions.

cmoulder
11-21-2015, 12:13
>>I'm still stuck on why a school would be less than helpful.

I agree that there is a LOT more here than meets the eye regarding the whole dynamic among the girl, the family, school, law enforcement and SAR. Could be that somebody had intermittent contact with her while she was "missing", or some other factors that we can't even imagine. Speculating is pointless.

I'm glad she's okay and hope the family can untagle the train wreck and live happily ever after.

SawnieRobertson
11-21-2015, 12:33
Water Rat, you are 100% right on.