PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands Area Planning

Pajj
11-13-2015, 10:38
So the week after next I'm planning to head down to the Mt. Rogers area and do some hiking. Can anyone give me more info on doing a loop with the AT, Mt Rogers Trail, and Fairwood Valley Trail? Specifically how long it will end up being as well as the best place to park? Are the side trails marked well? How about the junctions? I think I'll take a little side trip down to Buzzard Rock as well, this area was a highlight of my thru.
Thanks in advance,
Young Blood

Rmcpeak
11-13-2015, 15:04
I've done this hike and really enjoyed it: http://www.midatlantichikes.com/mountrogersbp.htm

I parked at Grindstone which I liked because it was secure AND there's a shower there.

Watch out, the Cliffside trail is a steep descent and killed my calves. Take it slow and you'll be fine. Very nice hike, lots of variety.

Lone Wolf
11-13-2015, 15:59
grindstone is closed

The Cleaner
11-13-2015, 18:10
The National Geographic trails map #318 is a must have for hiking this area.I found most trails well marked at intersections.As Lone Wolf said many USFS campgrounds will be closed.The high country around Grayson Highlands State Park could be very windy and cold even though it may be warmer in valley locations like Damascus.Parking in GHSP near Massie Gap is handy but will close sometime soon.Have a great hike.

Lone Wolf
11-13-2015, 18:21
The National Geographic trails map #318 is a must have for hiking this area.I found most trails well marked at intersections.As Lone Wolf said many USFS campgrounds will be closed.The high country around Grayson Highlands State Park could be very windy and cold even though it may be warmer in valley locations like Damascus.Parking in GHSP near Massie Gap is handy but will close sometime soon.Have a great hike.

grayson highlands doesn't close

TNhiker
11-13-2015, 18:22
.The high country around Grayson Highlands State Park could be very windy and cold even though it may be warmer in valley locations like Damascus

that is true...

last year, i had snow at the beginning of october...........not much other than flakes, but it was still snow......

JumpMaster Blaster
11-13-2015, 19:27
So the week after next I'm planning to head down to the Mt. Rogers area and do some hiking. Can anyone give me more info on doing a loop with the AT, Mt Rogers Trail, and Fairwood Valley Trail? Specifically how long it will end up being as well as the best place to park? Are the side trails marked well? How about the junctions? I think I'll take a little side trip down to Buzzard Rock as well, this area was a highlight of my thru.
Thanks in advance,
Young Blood

Yup- Nat Geo Trails Illustrated Maps #318 & 786 will cover everything, map 318 moreso. See if you can get it ordered from Amazon with 2 day shipping.

If not, I'll try to scan mine & upload, althought not sure how good the quality would be,

Pajj
11-13-2015, 23:12
I'm pretty sure I found a scan of the map you speak of online, and even if it's not it will be good enough. Lone Wolf, any idea on the conditions up there lately? Snow sounds amazing in the highlands. Rain sounds not so amazing.

Lone Wolf
11-13-2015, 23:23
dropped a lady off at massey gap 2 days ago. it was gorgeous