PDA

View Full Version : Somewhere warm with isolated long distance hiking or paddling

wornoutboots
11-13-2015, 11:31
I'm here in Northern Ky & since they've finally allowed both Allegiant & Frontier airlines in our airport, I can escape to a few places anytime on the cheap. So I'm wondering if there are any good trails near Phoenix, Vegas, Austin? or maybe paddling in South East Florida? The FT doesn't appeal to me because I hear there are several places you have to wade through silty black water? Correct me if I'm wrong in that. So what are some fantastic places to adventure near these cities? Thanks! ~Boots~

Rmcpeak
11-13-2015, 11:54
I'm looking at flying to Vegas and doing the Grand Canyon from there.

saltysack
11-13-2015, 12:33
Check out the Everglades wilderness waterway....100 miles from Everglades city to flamingo..
Or
The St.johns river which flows 300+ miles from lake blue cypress noth to mayport. The southern portion is mostly thru pristine wilderness. I thru paddle the river a few years ago on my sup...incredible trip!! Backpacking on the water. Counted over 1,000 gators. You need to go before late spring when gators start breeding....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Datto
11-13-2015, 14:24
I did the Ocala Trail in Florida around February 1st in that year. It was about 70 miles long and you could resupply if needed at several places along that trail. Temps got down to 37*F one night but most of the time it was 75*F during the daytime. Terrain is very easy. I'd run into people occasionally but most of the time I was by myself.

My buddy and did a small portion of the Arizona Trail starting northbound just east of Phoenix in February in a different year. It's a more aggessve hike than the Ocala Trail and you'll need to be cautious about water and carry more than you think. Temps got down to 30*F at night but most of the daytime temps were 75*F or so. You could hike the short distance up to Montana Mountain and just camp there if your intention is to just get away from it all for a while.

Datto

Venchka
11-13-2015, 15:16
Warm? Most of the time. Never really cold. Best between November & March, excluding the busy holiday time.
Isolated? Yep, except for Thanksgiving, Christmas & Spring Break. You wouldn't want to fly then anyway.
Where? Big Bend National Park. Drive from Austin.
Las Vegas: The entire eastern side of the Sierras, Zion & Bryce N.P. Heck, all of southern Utah.
Good luck.

Wayne

Uncle Joe
11-13-2015, 15:43
I'm hoping to do a 2-day trip on the Suwanee in the coming weeks. Still rehabbing the back but it's coming along nicely. Check out the Suwanee River Wilderness Trail. All on-water and there are a number of paddle-in camping areas just for this route.

Spirit Walker
11-13-2015, 21:28
You can access the Arizona Trail from either Phoenix or Tucson. The Grand Enchantment Trail is accessible from either Phoenix or Albuquerque. CDT in southern NM from Tucson or El Paso (with rental car). There is a lot of great hiking in southern Utah - but there will be snow in the winter. San Diego or LAX will get you to the southern PCT.

Dogwood
11-14-2015, 03:06
You can go real exotic but you can drive south to the Alabama Pinhoti Tr, Arkansas Quachita/Ozark Highlands/Buffalo River Tr systems. Don't forget going south isn't only warmer than KY but also far southeast an southwest. Coastal areas of SC and GA will work. Get a book. And, of course oodles in the southwest and south midwest. Google it.

Dogwood
11-14-2015, 03:09
Don't count on all the AZT, GET, and GCNP being all that warm either as elev is involved at all those places/trails!

garlic08
11-14-2015, 09:14
Apache Junction, AZ is a decent place to hang out with lots of warm day hiking and overnights nearby, some real classics in the Superstitions. Meanwhile you can work on logistics and water caches to spend a week or two on the lower portions of the AZT, say between Oracle (resting place of Edward Abbey, somewhere in the desert) and Apache Junction via the tail end of the GET. Despite its proximity to Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix, it feels like a different world. Rents are a bit lower too, I think. December will be much, much cheaper than January.