PDA

View Full Version : SNP Questions

Rmcpeak
11-13-2015, 15:37
I'm planning to hike from Swift Run Gap to Chester Gap at the end of next week (approx 11/21-24).

Question 1) I know I need a back country camping permit. Can I get this at the Swift Run Gap entry point during NON-BUSINESS HOURS? I'm planning to get dropped off there pre-dawn. If not, can I get one at the northern end of the trail at the edge of the park at Chester Gap? I'm parking in that vicinity before getting shuttled down to start my hike so I could get the permit there night before. In other words, how do I get a back country camping permit during non-business hours at or near Swift Run Gap or Chester Gap? (Too late for US mail option).

Question 2) What should I expect in the way of drinking water sources this time of year between Chester Gap and Swift Run Gap?

Question 3) How far down the Tuscarora Trail is the camping, and what camping area is it?

Much obliged. Thanks!

macdaddy
11-13-2015, 17:21
#1- yes, you can get the permit at Swift Run Gap during non-business hours. There is a kiosk just past the entrance station.

#2- water is plentiful right now, I hiked Swift Run Gap to Rt. 60 last month. Different direction than you are going but water was everywhere and the rains have been frequent since.

I can't help you with #3.

Rmcpeak
11-13-2015, 17:27
great thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnnybgood
11-13-2015, 17:53
Backcountry Permits are located at every entrance into the park. At the Swift Run Entrance Station look for the metal post next to the information kiosk on the right. The permits are inside this.
As for question 2 regarding water sources I can tell you that there are no worries finding it throughout the park . It might need to be filtered at times , usually where the water comes from a ground source, especially with all the fallen leaves .
The only thing I know about the Tuscarora Trail is the trail doesn't stay maintained like the Appalachian Trail and shelters are few and far between. Advanced Search the TT using the tool bar above , typing in key words for your search.

Quarter Keg
11-20-2015, 10:49
Rmcpeak, Mathews Arm campground is about 1 mile down the Tuscarora Trail, as I recall. Hiking north on the AT, the Tuscarora Trail will be on your left (West). We got there at dusk, ranger station was already closed, but you can still get the form to check in from the box at the station. I believe it was $15/person.

Rmcpeak
11-20-2015, 11:47
Rmcpeak, Mathews Arm campground is about 1 mile down the Tuscarora Trail, as I recall. Hiking north on the AT, the Tuscarora Trail will be on your left (West). We got there at dusk, ranger station was already closed, but you can still get the form to check in from the box at the station. I believe it was $15/person.

Thanks for the info. 1 mile down and back is probably too far for me, but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

GoldenBear
11-20-2015, 18:48
This map might assist you

http://npmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/shenandoah-mathews-arm-elkwallow-trail-map.gif

It appears the Tuscarora Trail intersects the AT almost adjacent to Matthews Arm Campground.

The problem is, that campground closed on October 25; and SNP is clear that you can NOT use a campground after it is closed.