PDA

View Full Version : Experienced thru hike question (water filter)

krshome
11-14-2015, 16:45
I have a question for people that have actually done the AT. It seems that if you going to filter your water, most are using the larger sized Sawyer squeeze filter. I have read that most now are using it inline in a hydration bladder setup rather than squeezing it with the bags. My question, Is this true? I have found on shorter trips the Sawyer squeeze is much better than the mini but still hard to use inline on a hydration system. What is your personal experience with the Sawyer squeeze and how are you using it? Thanks

Slo-go'en
11-14-2015, 16:54
I don't know if *most* thru hikers use the filter in line or not, but some do. I don't use a bladder due to all issues I've seen people have with them, so I squeeze by default.

CarlZ993
11-14-2015, 23:21
I haven't seen many folks using the inline style of water filtration. I own both - Squeeze & Mini. The Squeeze has a better flow rate. The Mini is obviously smaller & lighter. After playing w/ both, I still usually use still use AquaMira drops when treating water on a solo trip.

krshome
11-15-2015, 08:48
Thanks guys I was trying to figure out what I was missing. I personally had not seen people using the filters inline but I had read a few threads stating that it was how most where doing it now. I tried with both the mini and the squeeze and both where like trying to drink a thick milkshake through a straw. I personally use the sawyer as a gravity setup with a 4L Platy dirty bag. I got the 4L so I don't have to do multiple water runs when in camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colter
11-15-2015, 12:49
Giardia is a myth in any case :)

Gathman loses 40 to 60 pounds in an average seven-month hiking season, occasionally helped along by waterborne parasites like giardia. He rarely filters his water (http://www.gq.com/story/hiking-viking-professional-hiker),