PDA

View Full Version : Would Howard Dean be a good hiker?

lobster
12-06-2005, 22:26
purist, yellow-blazer, fun to be in a shelter with, etc. ?

Skidsteer
12-06-2005, 22:30
I bet he snores.

Tim Rich
12-06-2005, 22:52
I bet he yells when talking on his cell phone.

And he yells in the unbroken circle of antiwar hikers:

"Not only are we going to Georgia. We're going to North Carolina and Tennessee and Virginia and West Virginia and Maryland, and we're going to Pennsylvania and New York. And we're going to Connecticut and Massachusetts and Vermont and New Hampshire. And then we're going to Maine to hike the ENTIRE trail. Yeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggggg!"

The Old Fhart
12-06-2005, 23:00
For an ALDHA article on Howard Dean's end-to-end hike of the Long Trail, check here (http://www.aldha.org/howdean.htm).

Lone Wolf
12-07-2005, 09:49
He's a shi**y politician so he might be a good hiker. Friggin whack job.:rolleyes:

bulldog49
12-07-2005, 09:51
After the first hour on the trail he would proclaim we will never make it to the end of the trail and we should quit because George Bush lied about how long the trail is. :rolleyes:

RWBlue
12-07-2005, 10:29
He is a politician. Of course he would not be good to hike with!

chris
12-07-2005, 10:41
He appears to be in better shape than the average American. I'd hike with him for the kicks.

Tha Wookie
12-07-2005, 11:08
I'd rather hike with him than Hillary!

She'd be too hard to keep up with.

Actually, as smart as he is, I bet he's very knowledgable in the woods.

Rain Man
12-07-2005, 11:31
For an ALDHA article on Howard Dean's end-to-end hike of the Long Trail, check here (http://www.aldha.org/howdean.htm).

Thanks Old Fhart!!! It is nice to find "politicians" (we are ALL politicians) who accomplish real things besides which one can take the most bribes or blow the most smokes up their supporters' a***s!

Go Howard!!!!!!!!

Rain:sunMan

Skyline
12-07-2005, 11:34
I bet he would be a blue blazer, maybe even a yellow blazer--but I also do not think he'd claim to have hiked all the white blazes if he did not in fact do so. Probably would talk too much while hiking, but would likely be good company at a shelter or campsite.

I'm absolutely certain he'd leave Shrub, Cheney, Rummie, etc. in his dust, and wouldn't whine about trail conditions like they would. He'd also take the time to smell the roses and document where the AT needed more protection, while Team Bush would be looking for places to make some easy bucks in the real estate market.

Skyline
12-07-2005, 11:39
After reading the ALDHA article, I'm not so sure he wouldn't be a purist!

bfitz
12-07-2005, 12:10
I'd love to hike with him...I bet he'd never get tired of arguing with me!
'd be nice to have his perscription pad along with us too...It's nice to know Dean can keep up with a bunch of 7th grade girls...Mabye he could get some high-school senior girls for our expedition this time!

Uncle Silly
12-07-2005, 13:12
And he yells in the unbroken circle of antiwar hikers:

"Not only are we going to Georgia. We're going to North Carolina and Tennessee and Virginia and West Virginia and Maryland, and we're going to Pennsylvania and New York. And we're going to Connecticut and Massachusetts and Vermont and New Hampshire. And then we're going to Maine to hike the ENTIRE trail. Yeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggggg!"

This after yellow-blazing past New Jersey.... :banana

Mags
12-07-2005, 14:43
I'm absolutely certain he'd leave Shrub, Cheney, Rummie, etc. in his dust,

I am almost loathe to say this (why do I think this thread will turn into a political flame war?) but I don't think Bush, on athletic level, would make a bad hiker.

He is an avid runner ( Did the 1993 Houston Marathon in 3:44:52 at age 47. Pretty good!) and mountain biker. On a cardio level, he is probably in good shape.

Dean, as mentioned, has done the Long Trail as dayhikes, so he likes hiking at least.

Not sure if Bush or Dean would enjoy *backpacking* though. Running a road marathon, mountain biking and day hikes are another ball of wax than backpacking.

So that's my non-partisan take on this thread. Hopefully (ha!) we can keep out the politics....

Burn
12-07-2005, 15:59
dean makes a perfect wah-na-bee...as president or thruhiker...still, the dude got out there, and he's just another guy, like liteshoe told me

A-Train
12-07-2005, 19:17
He´d probably be a pain in the ass. You know, always rolling doobies in the shelters, and yelling in the morning, waking people up. I´ve got Georgia, and Nc, and Tennessee, and Virginia, and tomorrow, I´m taking West Virginia and Maryland!

Waterbuffalo
12-07-2005, 19:20
He'd want the government to fund and do the hike for him:D

rickb
12-07-2005, 19:37
Since also claims to have sailed the entire length of Lake Champlain in a sunfish (with his son), he obviously isn't gear obsessed.

That's always a good thing in shelter mate.

smokymtnsteve
12-07-2005, 21:43
He'd want the government to fund and do the hike for him:D

who'sthat GW????

I agree.

RedneckRye
12-08-2005, 03:00
I don't know the man, I've never met him. But pretty much anyone who steps out of their car/truck/SUV/whatever and heads into the woods for a hike is a good guy in my book. I'd love to spend 2 or 3 or 10 days hiking with ANY politician. If they are out in the woods, maybe they can begin to understand the woods for their intrinsic value, not just for the board feet or the ski resorts that could be built, or the condos, or the campaign contributions that the extraction industries will give to their election.
I'd love to hike with him. If he snores, I'd kick him.

DMA, 2000
12-08-2005, 04:08
Two words, pal: Eric Rudolph

justusryans
12-08-2005, 08:19
Two words, pal: Eric Rudolph

I don't think he was doing it for fun:D

trippclark
12-08-2005, 13:34
He's a shi**y politician so he might be a good hiker. Friggin whack job.:rolleyes:

You hit the nail on the head!