PDA

View Full Version : BA Blacktail 3 or MSR Elixir for newbies

dervari
11-15-2015, 11:22
Looking for a decent tent for my girlfriend and I. We are first timers and will be section hiking through some of Georgia on the AT as well as some other short two or three day hikes. This tent looks like it will fit our bill, but was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with it? Moosejaw has it for 20% off until November 23rd.

Also looking at the MSR elixir and Marmot tungsten if anyone has any experience with these.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

sethd513
11-15-2015, 17:07
I think if you find a two person tent with two vestibules you'll be happy on the saved weight and easier access to his/her gear. My marmot limelight was super stout I feel they make a great tent for the cost but are on the heavier side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wannahike
11-15-2015, 17:33
REI rents tents. You might want to see if they rent ones you are interested in and try them out.

dervari
11-15-2015, 22:53
I think if you find a two person tent with two vestibules you'll be happy on the saved weight and easier access to his/her gear. My marmot limelight was super stout I feel they make a great tent for the cost but are on the heavier side.

Everything I've heard is that most 2 person tents are really about 1.5 persons. That's why we're looking at a 3 person, 2 door tent.

Venchka
11-15-2015, 23:08
Is none of the above an option?
Both TarpTent and Lightheart Gear have better options for 2.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

sethd513
11-16-2015, 19:37
We went from the limelight to a duplex. The duplex is like 4 inches longer and 8 inches narrower but with the two huge doors it's great. For us the tent is where we sleep and nothing more. Extra gear outside. Granted that's not a tent you would buy but getting to your local outfitter to try out gear is the way to go. Used hiking gear sells like rocks so taking the time to read and try out numerous options is well worth it in the long run.

Venchka
11-16-2015, 20:01
YOUR TENT CHOICES ARE 6 POUNDS +.
You won't like toting a 6 pound tent. I had a great 2 person tent. Built like they don't build tents anymore. I sold it to a friend. He loves it. It weighs 6 pounds. I miss the construction qyality relative to current tents. I don't miss the weight.
Two tents you should look at:
Lightheart Gear Duo. Floor - 55" x 100". 2 doors. 2 pounds 4 ounces.
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-duo-tents/product/view/6/5

TarpTent StratoSpire 2. Floor - 52" x 86". You can widen the floor to 62". 2 doors & 2 huge vestibules. Probably more covered space than most 3 person tents. Weight: ~49 or 50 ounces.
http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html

Wayne

dervari
11-17-2015, 01:06
It would be split between my girlfriend and I.

dervari
11-17-2015, 01:08
Tarptent looks quite interesting.

Venchka
11-17-2015, 01:17
It would be split between my girlfriend and I.

That's the theory. 3+ extra pounds is still excess pounds.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

dervari
11-23-2015, 12:06
Went with a BA Rattlesnake 3P. Will be about 2.5lbs pp.