PDA

View Full Version : Bear cannisters

Bubblehead
11-16-2015, 09:01
I'm currently deciding on a backpack for my upcoming AT section hike from Springer to HF in April....is there anywhere on the AT (even north of HF) where a bear canister is required? The answer to this question will determine the backpack that i choose.

Turtle-2013
11-16-2015, 09:19
I have section hiked from Springer to nearly NJ and while there are a few sections that you aren't supposed to camp without a bear canister (Blood Mtn for one), MOST of the areas that have issues with bears have bear cables or poles at the shelter areas. So, if you intend to stay (camp) in some of the restricted areas, you will need one, but if you either bring a rope to properly hang your stuff, and/or stay near the shelters avoiding the few restricted areas, the canister is not needed. I haven't needed to carry one (yet), and the only place it was an issue was Blood Mtn, GA. I hope that helps.

Turtle-2013
11-16-2015, 09:23
P.S. I did Springer (inc the approach trail) to Dick's Creek last April ... and while it was a hoot with all the newbie Thru hikers who were still trying to get their feet wet, so to speak ... it is NOT a quiet time to be on the trail in GA. Do NOT expect to stay in shelters, they will generally be full, and do not expect to have much time alone, anywhere on the trail. If you want quiet, do that section another time of year. If you stick with the April plans, enjoy the company : )

SouthMark
11-16-2015, 09:34
The only place that a canister is required is only if you camp in a 5 mile section in GA around Blood Mtn and then only from April to June.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bubblehead
11-16-2015, 09:51
I'm planning on leaving the last week in April; hopefully the majority of the bubble will be north of me. I also plan on doing a lot of stealth camping; the shelters don't intrigue me very much...

SouthMark
11-16-2015, 11:29
Just plan on hiking through the 5 mile area and do not camp there. No canister will be needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bubblehead
11-16-2015, 13:36
Thanks for the info SouthMark

Scotch65
11-18-2015, 11:34
Bear canisters seasonally required for camping between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap
A new U.S. Forest Service rule requires approved bear-resistant storage containers for overnight camping on a 5-mile stretch of the A.T. in the Chattahoochee National Forest between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap, between March 1 and June 1 each year. This stretch is located between points 26.7 and 31.7 miles north of the southern terminus of the A.T. at Springer Moutain, Georgia, and includes Woods Hole Shelter, Slaughter Creek Campsite, and Blood Mountain Shelter. “Bear canisters” should be used to store food, food containers, garbage and toiletries. For more information, call the Chattahoochee - Oconee National Forest at (770) 297-3000.

Kristeninmb
11-18-2015, 14:44
I am currently planning my first section hike in May 2016 from Springer to NOC. I am a huge planner, and with everything I have read and the posts that I have read as well, I am opting for a bear canister. I weighed the pros and cons. one thing that was a huge consideration was time. I want to my time an enjoy this trip, not rush to set up camp and rush to eat so I can hang my food before dark. I also didn't want to look like a jack ass throwing a bear bag for the first time on the AT. even though the canisters are more weight and you have to fit your gear in your pack around the canister, I am going to take the leap and go this route. if you buy the bear canister holder (it has straps) you can attach it to the outside of your bag too and just tie it to a tree away for your site. I am a total newbie to this, but with the advise of people who have done this, they say the extra weight is worth the time and security. Also, mice and squirrels can get into bear bags if not used properly.

MuddyWaters
11-18-2015, 15:50
I am currently planning my first section hike in May 2016 from Springer to NOC. I am a huge planner, and with everything I have read and the posts that I have read as well, I am opting for a bear canister. I weighed the pros and cons. one thing that was a huge consideration was time. I want to my time an enjoy this trip, not rush to set up camp and rush to eat so I can hang my food before dark. I also didn't want to look like a jack ass throwing a bear bag for the first time on the AT. even though the canisters are more weight and you have to fit your gear in your pack around the canister, I am going to take the leap and go this route. if you buy the bear canister holder (it has straps) you can attach it to the outside of your bag too and just tie it to a tree away for your site. I am a total newbie to this, but with the advise of people who have done this, they say the extra weight is worth the time and security. Also, mice and squirrels can get into bear bags if not used properly.

Nothing wrong with cannister if you willing to carry it. I love the convenience when ive carried mine.

You will look like fool every time you throw bear line. Everyone does. Throw the line when first get to camp while its light , and temp hasnt plummeted yet. Then hang bag at convenience.

Forget the holder , put it in your pack you dont tie a cannister to anything, doing so is detrmental. They only work because bear cant get leverage on it.

Dont be like this:

http://nighthikingtomars.blogspot.com/2015_10_01_archive.html