PDA

View Full Version : Well, just got the "letter" from work today...

MyFeetHurt
12-07-2005, 12:56
....this means my trip is getting close. good-bye working life, hello vagabond life. man, i can't wait. just bought my tent, getting my new pack soon, everything's starting to come together........

Ender
12-07-2005, 15:08
Cool. Now is when things will really start to speed up, even though the wait will start to feel like it will go on forever. Never enough time to get everything together, but too much time left before you go. Don't worry though, it'll all come together when it should.

Spirit Walker
12-07-2005, 15:26
We're going through that too. I'm going crazy because time is dragging so slowly; Jim is going nuts because he isn't sure we can be ready in time. Five months to go. Neither of us has let anyone official at work know that we are quitting. We have most of our gear (still need a tent), so that isn't a worry. What is a concern is the amount to be done to get the house ready to leave and the fact that we need to start training, and really haven't yet. Weekly dayhikes, yes, but not daily walks. After Christmas, we'll get serious - or panicked, I'm not sure which.

Burn
12-07-2005, 16:02
SW, you'll do fine if you left yesterday! don't worry be happy...i bet i see you all out there...none of it matters and you'll figure it ALL out OUT there.

Spirit Walker
12-07-2005, 18:23
Unless you're going to New Mexico, you probably won't see me out there. I'm doing the CDt next year, not the AT. The prehike concerns are the same though. We all wonder whether we really have it all together before we go. And, yes, you're right, once we're out there it will all work out. It's just all the details now that are driving us nuts. It was so much easier the first time, when all I owned was a dozen boxes of books. I have too much STUFF.

Programbo
12-07-2005, 19:41
This thread reminds me of one of the main things most thru hikers never plan on or think about..That huge emotional let down you feel when you finally come face to face with the sign at the top of Mount Katahdin saying That`s it dude you`re done!

the1stranger
12-08-2005, 01:20
One word.... ADVENTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miles are work. Your hike will be an adventure. Always remember the difference between the two or you will be leaving one job for another. Good luck!

Maybe I'll see you on the trail in 06!

Programbo
12-08-2005, 22:07
>>>>Miles are work. Your hike will be an adventure. Always remember the difference between the two or you will be leaving one job for another. Good luck!<<<<

To some degree..But in a way hiking the AT is like a job...IF you plan to get to the end in one trip and in one year and before you are trying to go thru the White Mountains in winter you HAVE to make a certain number of miles and sometimes that means getting up and going whether you want to or not..Eventually

jackiebolen
12-09-2005, 17:44
You can never be in good enough shape before you hit the trail. That's my advice for you :) Enjoy the planning.