PDA

View Full Version : filter AND aquamira??

Rmcpeak
11-16-2015, 17:45
Is there any point in carrying a filter (sawyer mini) AND aquamira? I'm leaning towards leaving the filter at home on next section hike. I've been carrying it because I'm scared I'll only have small murky puddles or that I'll want/need a drink so bad I won't want to wait 30 mins.

Next hike (next week) is swift run to chester gap in SNP.

Can I leave the filter behind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffee
11-16-2015, 18:04
It's getting to that time of year when freezes are likely in SNP. I always get nervous about carrying my sawyer when temps get near freezing. I use aqua mira in those situations. I've never had an issue with aquamira in SNP but I can't speak to current conditions on that section.

1azarus
11-16-2015, 18:08
lots of hikers just take aquamira... yes, it does require a little bit of planning since you need to wait a bit -- but that just builds character. I find the light weight and small volume make up for any inconvenience. Advice? try it. It is a personal preference thing... but I think it is hard to justify carrying two systems.

rocketsocks
11-16-2015, 18:17
Sure, matter of choice.

Rmcpeak
11-16-2015, 21:09
lots of hikers just take aquamira... yes, it does require a little bit of planning since you need to wait a bit -- but that just builds character. I find the light weight and small volume make up for any inconvenience. Advice? try it. It is a personal preference thing... but I think it is hard to justify carrying two systems.

Builds character. Good point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
11-16-2015, 21:16
Is there any point in carrying a filter (sawyer mini) AND aquamira? I'm leaning towards leaving the filter at home on next section hike. I've been carrying it because I'm scared I'll only have small murky puddles or that I'll want/need a drink so bad I won't want to wait 30 mins.

Next hike (next week) is swift run to chester gap in SNP.

Can I leave the filter behind?

Nope, no point in redundacy.

On a short section hike, even if you drank untreated water after filter failure, youd be home before symptoms hit.

Coffee
11-16-2015, 22:04
I do carry a backup - a few Aquamira *tablets* are always in my kit. Weighs a fraction of an ounce and could be used if other methods fail.

Sarcasm the elf
11-16-2015, 23:14
My jetboil is my backup. If there was a problem with my water treatment for some reason I could just boil the water in a pinch.

garlic08
11-17-2015, 00:48
I agree no backup. As mentioned, you won't blow up if you drink untreated water.

rocketsocks
11-17-2015, 01:02
I agree no backup. As mentioned, you won't blow up if you drink untreated water.but 3 grams would blow a back out...and time in the woods is such a precious thing it can't be wasted on just sitting around waiting.

squeezebox
11-17-2015, 02:34
I agree no backup. As mentioned, you won't blow up if you drink untreated water.

I'm sorry, but actually you just might!
Clint Eastwood would say, "Do you feel lucky? Punk!! "

gunther11
11-17-2015, 03:12
It doese depend where you are and when you are on the trail.

Filter is always my plan A. But a handfull of pills does work as plan B. We are talking of about 3 gramms....
Boiling water does ot always work, or you have to carry loads of fuel/gas etc with you

Hangfire
11-17-2015, 03:43
No harm in having 2 systems, especially in a dry year when you find yourself drawing water in a stinky frog filled mud puddle.

Rmcpeak
11-17-2015, 07:34
I have a few tablets too... forgot about those... and a canister stove, and could filter chunks through my buff, so no filter this trip. Not much else I'm willing to leave at home.

saltysack
11-17-2015, 07:49
I have no desire to eat frog crap. I'll take my sawyer mini any day!! I hate the taste of the drops and pills! It's way worse than the bleach water we drink at home! As a back up sure but not if I have a choice. I don't carry bother to carry them.

Traveler
11-17-2015, 07:50
This falls into the "If theres a doubt, there is no doubt" category, if you have a doubt act on it. If you feel a filtration system or chemical system may be compromised on a hike, taking both would not add appreciably to weight and provides options.

Rmcpeak
11-17-2015, 09:39
It comes from not having a lot of experience and from not being very familiar with the route. I'm hiking from Swift Run Gap to Chester Gap in SNP next week. My research tells me that there should be plenty of water around, especially since it has been relatively rainy as of late (and this week). Right???

CarlZ993
11-17-2015, 10:28
I typically only carry AquaMira drops on my solo hikes. In group hikes, I'll typically carry a water filter & AM as a backup. I have had filters fail on me in the backcountry. Twice. A 3-oz water filter (Sawyer Squeeze) & 3-oz AM isn't a lot of weight to tote for a group hike. For solo hikes, just be sure the AM caps are securely tightened.

saltysack
11-17-2015, 10:45
It comes from not having a lot of experience and from not being very familiar with the route. I'm hiking from Swift Run Gap to Chester Gap in SNP next week. My research tells me that there should be plenty of water around, especially since it has been relatively rainy as of late (and this week). Right???

Make sure you keep sawyer in your pocket(ziplock) while hiking and in the bag with you at night to avoid freezing....I've never had a sawyer squeeze or mini fail....the bag is a different story......I carry a normal threaded smart water bottle so if bag fails I can just use it...

kibs
11-17-2015, 11:45
[QUOTE=Hangfire;2019749]No harm in having 2 systems, especially in a dry year when you find yourself drawing water in a stinky frog filled mud puddle.[/QUO

I agree. I drink tons of water & cannot go very far in certain parts of this country with high heat and low availability of any type of water. not interested in getting the "crud" just to save a few grams.

perdidochas
11-17-2015, 12:05
It's getting to that time of year when freezes are likely in SNP. I always get nervous about carrying my sawyer when temps get near freezing. I use aqua mira in those situations. I've never had an issue with aquamira in SNP but I can't speak to current conditions on that section.

Get a ziplock bag for your sawyer, sleep with it in your sleeping bag.