PDA

View Full Version : Cornelius Creek shelter parking

Majortrauma
11-17-2015, 09:59
I searched the site but didn't find anything telling me there was parking available in the vicinity of Cornelius Creek Shelter to start my hike perhaps off the side of the BRP. On the flip side I didn't read anything telling me there was no parking available. I'm open to a shuttle from CC shelter to parking area off of SR 698 near Blackhorse gap and north of Wilson Creek shelter.
I'll give details of my hike via PM but not in an open forum.
Thanks

Mobius
11-17-2015, 10:15
I seem to recall there's a small pull off or road but I'm not sure it'd be appropriate for long term parking. A mile or two down the road (north) is Sunset Fields which may be better. You can also park at the base of Apple Orchard Falls and hike up 3-4 miles to Sunset Fields or Cornelius Creek Shelter. I've parked a both of locations, but not for more than a weekend adventure.

Majortrauma
11-17-2015, 17:05
Thanks Mobius. Won't be long term parking.

Deer Hunter
11-17-2015, 20:45
There is a small field off of the Blue Ridge Parkway where you can park. Across the road there is a forest service gate. It is only a couple hundred yards to the shelter from there. The trail to the shelter veers off to the right on the logging road, You can't miss it.

Majortrauma
11-18-2015, 16:42
Thank you very much Deer hunter. That's a huge help.

Deer Hunter
11-18-2015, 18:24
The field is south of Onion Mountain overlook on the parkway. It is where Overstreet Creek Road turns off on the picture. Across on the other side, the road starts down and the little blue icon between the fire road and the AT is the shelter.