PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas Loop Suggestions

naturlred
11-17-2015, 16:14
I am planning a short getaway in March/April for some Arkansas hiking. I would love some suggestions for the best loop or in/out trails around 10 miles round trip.

We will be there for 3 days and are hoping to do a different trail each day.

Suggestion on where to stay and places to eat would be nice also.

We especially love bluffs, mountains and elevation but any suggestions will be considered.

Thanks in advance

Dogwood
11-17-2015, 16:49
Mt Magazine, Pinnacle Mt, Buffalo National Scenic River(has a nice trail along the river that has great views from atop riverside bluffs), loops involving the Ouachita and Ozark Highlands Trails.

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/things-to-do/trails/search.aspx?easy=true&moderate=true&strenuous=true&hiking=true

Recommend the Arkansas hiking books done by Tim Ernst.
Some free topos and info you can peruse here basing a loop on I've used. http://www.ouachitamaps.com/OHT.html Make sure you follow the links to the BRT and OHT for ideas.

IMO, Arkansas is largely an undiscovered excellent opportunity for hiking with a large window of acceptable hiking weather window for the masses.

Venchka
11-17-2015, 17:26
naturalred,
Arkansas is a fairly large state. Where you gonna be?
Arkansas hiking season is primarily from November to March for a variety of reasons. Insect critters and dense vegetation being the two biggies. Earlier in March is better than later.

Wayne

naturlred
11-17-2015, 18:59
Wayne,
That is exactly what I am trying to decide.....where to be in Arkansas????

All I know at this point is we will be flying into Little Rock. I am open to anything anywhere after that. Preferably staying somewhere near the three trails we decide on eventually.

Any suggestions you have will be appreciated.
Thanks

Venchka
11-17-2015, 19:07
I suggest you pick one. Hike multiple segments. If you try to hike 3 different trails, you could spend all your time driving to and fro.

Ouachita Trail. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsm9_039448.pdf

Wayne

MuddyWaters
11-17-2015, 22:40
Go to backpackingarkansas.com and join. You dont see most of the info on the forums without joining. There are a bunch of short hikes in Tim Ernsts books.

Dogwood
11-17-2015, 23:03
At the end of a Ouachita Tr thru-hike ending at Pinnacle Mt I walked into Little Rock. Then I did an urban loop hike along the Arkansas River on both embankments where there are trails, crossing the river on the west leg of the loop on the Big Dam Bridge, a pedestrian bridge, really cool with great views, touted as the longest in the world and crossing the river in the east on Junction Bridge Pedestrian Walkway. Even though it's in Little Rock the loop goes through stretches of bucolic parks.

LittleRock
11-18-2015, 09:13
I'm originally from Little Rock (hence my trail name) and did lots of camping/hiking in Arkansas as a boy scout and in college. Here are three of my all-time favorites, all in the central/north central part of the state:

1) Pinnacle Mountain State Park. I suggest starting at the main entrance, hiking the base trail around the mountain, going up the steep and rocky east summit trail, then down the gentler (and often crowded) west summit trail back to the parking lot. It's only about 4 miles, so if you want to do more, the Big Dam Bridge/Junction Bridge loop along the Arkansas River is quite pretty and surprisingly scenic for being so close to the city, especially on the north side of the river.

2) Petit Jean State Park. There are several different day-hike loops you can do here, but in particular I highly recommend the Cedar Falls trail and the Seven Hollows trail.

3) It's not hiking, but I also highly recommend canoeing/kayaking on the Buffalo River. If you love bluffs, the Buffalo River is the place to go. Almost the entire river is on national forest/federally protected land with tons of great campsites, and there are several outfitters nearby where you can rent canoes/kayaks for a trip of pretty much any length you desire.

naturlred
11-18-2015, 11:08
Little Rock,

Can you tell me on the #3 suggestion you made, is there any whitewater on this river? We are whitewater kayakers and my husband would be so surprised if I found something like this with a bit of whitewater rapids thrown in for fun also.

Gosh, how I would love to pick your brain a bit more regarding this area since you have lived here in the past. We are searching for a place to relocate and this is one area we are considering. If your open to more communication by email let me know. I would love to ask you some more questions by email.

Thanks,
Karen
naturalred.wordpress.com

Dogwood
11-18-2015, 11:11
Lots of good reviews online inspired me to add on to an Ozark Highlands Tr hike is a out and back or pt to pt hike of the almost 24 mile(one way) North Sylamore Creek Trail. It's in a National Scenic River Corridor. This hike kept me interested scenically throughout with bluffs, caves, rock shelters, clean stream, camping, etc.

I went from the Allison TH to the Cripple Turkey TH on the Sylamore Creek Tr and then west/southwest a shortish distance on the Ozark Highlands Tr to get hitches on Hwy 341 and Hwy 14 between TH's. You can go a shorter distance but not sure of hitching opps on all the back FS roads. This shows the general trail map and roads I used: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsm8_042799.pdf.

Again, free topo maps from several websites but again Tim Ernst has to get my rec for all the beta he has compiled. http://www.ouachitamaps.com/Sylamore%20Trail.html and http://www.ouachitamaps.com/Sylamore.html

http://www.ozarkmtns.com/sylamore/activities/nscthiking.asp

Instead, even though I was on foot the whole way got around hitchhiking and chatting up rides from outdoors people I never had an issue with all the great helpful folks in Arkansas despite my heavy Yankee southern Naw Jarseee mixed with an intermittent Florida redneck drawl accent. Dropping some y'alls occasionally kept me in the good graces of the locals but keeping them off balance slightly trying to place my mixed accent. Here's a site I used to get around hitching. http://www.ozarkmtns.com/sylamore/points/point1.asp You could contact one of the camps or fishing/boating/hunting bizs to inquire about shuttles too. I was recommended to contact this camp which seemed nice to inquire about shuttles. http://www.sylamorecreek.com/

naturlred
11-18-2015, 11:21
Wow, thank you all for your suggestions!!! I think I may need more like a week or two instead of three days. Please keep the information coming. I am gathering notes and checking out each and every hike mentioned.

Does anyone suggest a certain area/city/town to stay in while we are there or should we just stick to the Little Rock area which truthfully seems a bit big city for our taste? Although, we wont be there too many hours during the day so I am fine with that I suppose.

Thanks Again Everyone

Dogwood
11-18-2015, 11:42
Umm, LR is a walkable downtown area w/ a decent bus system. It's great to consider taking in some of the LR attractions. That's what I did timing my hikes to coincide with Riverfest(Ahh yeah!, concerts, food, etc.), Art Center, William J. Clinton Modern Museum(I didn't even vote for him but still enjoyed the Museum and gaining a greater appreciation for Governor and President Clinton's contributions!), Old State House, etc. Like the way LR has been cleaned up and modernized in the downtown area. Streets roll up after 7 p.m. though downtown. Good sized homeless population and some areas probably left alone too.

LittleRock
11-18-2015, 16:23
Little Rock,

Can you tell me on the #3 suggestion you made, is there any whitewater on this river? We are whitewater kayakers and my husband would be so surprised if I found something like this with a bit of whitewater rapids thrown in for fun also.

Gosh, how I would love to pick your brain a bit more regarding this area since you have lived here in the past. We are searching for a place to relocate and this is one area we are considering. If your open to more communication by email let me know. I would love to ask you some more questions by email.

Thanks,
Karen
naturalred.wordpress.com

If I remember correctly, there are some class I and II rapids on the Buffalo River, but nothing super challenging. It largely depends on the water level. If it's rained a lot recently and the water level is high, the river moves pretty fast and the rapids are lots of fun. If the water level is low, you can plan on a slow trek with trickling rapids and lots of bottoming out.

Sure, if you want to chat more just send me a private message on the forum. :)

LittleRock
11-18-2015, 16:26
Umm, LR is a walkable downtown area w/ a decent bus system. It's great to consider taking in some of the LR attractions. That's what I did timing my hikes to coincide with Riverfest(Ahh yeah!, concerts, food, etc.), Art Center, William J. Clinton Modern Museum(I didn't even vote for him but still enjoyed the Museum and gaining a greater appreciation for Governor and President Clinton's contributions!), Old State House, etc. Like the way LR has been cleaned up and modernized in the downtown area. Streets roll up after 7 p.m. though downtown. Good sized homeless population and some areas probably left alone too.

Yep, Little Rock a nice place as long as you stay north of I-630. :)

fwish
11-19-2015, 11:14
Not sure how far you are wanting to hike, but you might consider Ozark Highlands Trail around the White Rock Mountain Recreational Area in northwest Arkansas. You can hike the OHT or one of the spur loops like White Rock to Shores Lake and back, or possibly the a Hare Mountain to Redding hike, which would take you from Hare Mountain down to the Mulberry River. There are lots of options available to you. Just come to Arkansas and enjoy your time in the woods.