PDA

View Full Version : Clothing questions, and Shoe problems.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
11-19-2015, 02:45
Hey guys,

I have a few questions regarding clothing too bring. I am doing a 900 mile section of the trail starting lateApril/earlyMay from va-ny. I need help figuring out what kind of jacket to bring, etc.

My Clothing So Far:
Worn-
General Wicking Shirt
Capri-Long Shorts length wicking/jogging shorts.
Darn Tuff Socks.

Pack-
Sleep Shirt- Found at old navy. It is made from a wicking material, but is less than a ounce in weight. It's gauze like. I will use it as my clean clothing to sleep in.

Sleep Shorts- Not found Yet. I am not sure what I am going to use. I may look into getting a pair of armor leggings that will also act as warmth during the actor hiking if I get cold.

Sleeping socks- Darn Tough again.

Rain Gear:
My three options:
1- Poncho & Pack Cover (Or should a trash bag work just as well eliminating the pack cover weight.)
2- Rain Jacket & Pack cover/trash bag idea.

3- One of these doo dads.
http://www.amazon.com/CAMTOA-Backpack-Raincoat-Outdoor-Camping/dp/B010HE22RW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447912614&sr=8-1&keywords=poncho+pack+cover

Jacket wise: I was going to get a cheap puff from wally, or search for one elsewhere.

I suppose my questions for clothing go as far as...

Is it possible to use a rain jacket during the time I am going as my primary source of warmth through early may - august so I can not carry a puff jacket?

I just worry that I will be packing too much weight in clothing if I bring a puff jacket, a poncho, hike shorts, shirt, socks, sleep shirt, shorts/leggings, socks.

Another Question:

Shoes. I have wide feet, and have been unable to find trail runners with a toe box wide enough not to hurt my feet. I am also not use too shoes being tight/constricting. Any recommendations of wide trail runners? I have tried Hooka's, and now Cascades. Both have failed me. I have to bring the cascada's back for a refund since they hurt my pinky toes.

Venchka
11-19-2015, 09:00
Shoes: Try the Men's department. Tell the salesperson you want a big wide toe area. Don't be surprised is you get a blank stare. It's worth a shot.
Poncho+trash compactor bag inside pack: Plenty good enough.
Have fun!

Wayne

MuddyWaters
11-19-2015, 09:18
Try altra shoes, size up

I expect you will want lots of insulation in va in april.

shelb
11-19-2015, 23:34
Hey guys,
Another Question:

Shoes. I have wide feet, and have been unable to find trail runners with a toe box wide enough not to hurt my feet. I am also not use too shoes being tight/constricting. Any recommendations of wide trail runners? .

I went through several outfitters trying different hiking boots and shoes. I has taken several years; however, I finally understand that I have not only a wide toe box, but - (most problematic for hiking!!! I have a narrow heel.) This year, I took the advice of my running friends and went to a running shoe store. The gal spent a great deal of time observing my gate, and then had me trying and testing shoes for over an hour! I purchased trail runners (Soloman brand - unfortunately, a rather bright color that everyone kept commenting on!). In the past, I have always broken in boots/hikers prior to the A.T. This gal said I didn't have to break in the hikers, and I didn't. It was the first time I hiked over 50 miles continuously (did 104) without getting any blisters!!! I LOVE< LOVE, LOVE! my trail runners!!!

tflaris
11-19-2015, 23:56
Merrill's seem to have a wide toe box. Or it may just be my imagination. I love my Salomon Pro XA's.

TF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vegan Packer
11-20-2015, 01:58
I have the same problem with pain in my little toe from even supposedly wide shoes. To make matters worse, I have custom orthotics, so I need a 6E width. Also, I only use vegan products. This really narrows the field of my potential shoe candidates.

I am in the process of stretching out (with a shoe stretcher) a full size larger set of Mammut Comfort High GTX Boots. (I am finding that I need more ankle support than I get with runners, so I am going to try moving back to boots.) Mammut is a European based boot manufacturer. European "lasts" (the shape of the foot used for shoe manufacturing) tend to have a wider toe box and narrower heal than American lasts. These fit me pretty well on one side, but I still get some small toe discomfort on the other, which is why I am trying to stretch them out a bit.

You may have better luck by looking at European brands.

Leo L.
01-21-2016, 15:40
Ist common practice here for leather shoes/boots to let them stretch or widen to ones personal fit. Gives some extra mm space in areas where you need it.

Uncle Joe
01-21-2016, 15:45
Keens are also known to run wide, FWIW.

illabelle
01-21-2016, 16:45
Shoes. I have wide feet, and have been unable to find trail runners with a toe box wide enough not to hurt my feet. I am also not use too shoes being tight/constricting. Any recommendations of wide trail runners? I have tried Hooka's, and now Cascades. Both have failed me. I have to bring the cascada's back for a refund since they hurt my pinky toes.

Keens are also known to run wide, FWIW.

My feet are wide. I wear a pair of Keen Targhee II and have been pleased with them. The only issue I have is that the shoe doesn't hold my heel as tightly as I think it should, so my heel tends to lift slightly as I walk. When I first got them, I worried that my foot would slip out, but it never has. I've had them about a year now, and have gotten used to them.

Dogwood
01-21-2016, 17:43
I wouldn't solely rely on a rain jacket for warmth. Throw in a light wt beanie and/or UL nylon running gloves and a cheap 6 oz or so $30 light wt synthetic or down vest from Costco. Move on.