PDA

View Full Version : Gloves for April Start

JaketheFake
11-19-2015, 12:13
As of today I am starting in Springer on April 6th. I am doing everything possible to eliminate any excess weight whatsoever. I would like to shed a few quick ounces by crossing off the list gloves. Any thoughts on scuttling gloves on a early April start?

Some background....down here in Texas I hardly wear gloves when I am outdoors or hunting unless I am sitting in a deerstand in temps below 40. And that's sitting in the cold not hiking. The older I have gotten the less my hands get cold.

If I was starting in March there would be no questions, but April 6...could I roll the dice and say do something extreme like wear sox on my hands if I stumbled into a temporary early morning situation and by that I mean 25 degrees or so?

Thanks in advance and I am aware even though I am starting in April there will be cold nights and mornings, but in general during daylight time... gloves yes or no?

pauly_j
11-19-2015, 12:36
Maybe some lightweight rain mitts would be better? If you're using poles I wouldn't like to get caught in squally wind and rain with no hand protection. Rain shell mitts would protect you.

I'm planning on taking some lightweight gloves and rain mitts cos I like being warm over ultralight.

Dogwood
11-19-2015, 12:39
I usually bring along gloves on hikes because they fit into the entire kit system and considerations I employ and hiking philosophy. They are usually inexpensive nylon running gloves sometimes very light(silk wt) Windstopper gloves, typically about 2-3 oz and taking up no appreciable volume. I'm typically using them early with 6:30-7 a.m. starts and night hiking. Reducing extremity heat loss is important always for me physically but with that and focusing on lighter layered core warmth I can reduce apparel/accessory/shoe wt overall while also having it be versatile. Throughout the hiking day/night I'm constantly adjusting apparel/accessories/pace, etc thermoregulating. Mostly I can do this on the fly hence I like gloves usually being close at hand on my shoulder straps which is why I like these gloves to have a tiny clasp etc that attaches and keeps the gloves paired. Sucks losing one glove.

Whether or not I take gloves or what type of gloves is dependent upon anticipated conditions obviously but it is also dependent upon whether my running shorts and/or wind/rain jacket has pockets.

https://www.manzella.com/p/manzella-silkweight-windstopper-touchtip-gloves-men-o580m?color=BLK

https://www.manzella.com/p/manzella-windstopper-10-uniform-gloves-men-u008m?color=BLK

http://www.rei.com/product/873204/manzella-silkweight-windstopper-ultra-touchtip-gloves-mens?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8732040001&CAWELAID=120217890000842229&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

JaketheFake
11-19-2015, 12:41
Good point Dogwood.... something like the silk gloves used for skiing...as you pointed out the weight is negligable and yes I am using hiking poles. Maybe I will reconsider.

MuddyWaters
11-19-2015, 13:14
Thin glove liners and rain mitts.
I would not go without them.

On cold days, fingers can stop working as soon as sun goes down and temp drops.
You will learn to keep lighter warm, and start cooking while still warm enough that fingers have dexterity.

You cant even light a stove with numb fingers and cold lighter.

Venchka
11-19-2015, 13:26
50 degrees. Rain. Wind. Day before yesterday in Houston. Any day on the AT through June. Later in the year as go north.
All of you needs to stay dry. All of you needs protection from the wind.
Be "smart light." Don't be "stupid light."
Have a great hike.

Wayne

JaketheFake
11-19-2015, 13:29
50 degrees. Rain. Wind. Day before yesterday in Houston. Any day on the AT through June. Later in the year as go north.
All of you needs to stay dry. All of you needs protection from the wind.
Be "smart light." Don't be "stupid light."
Have a great hike.

Wayne

Thank you... and that was a cold 50 degrees wasn't it? Gloves it is.

Venchka
11-19-2015, 13:46
Thank you... and that was a cold 50 degrees wasn't it? Gloves it is.

Amen Brother! Nasty weather.
We spent 2 weeks in Boone, NC (elev. 3,400 feet) last year in late July. It clouded up and rained off and on for about 3 days. I noticed that my Keen sandals that I had worn in the creek beside our cabin before the rain started had not dried after 2-3 on the porch. I put them in front of the fridge & turned on the heater. It would have been grim backpacking higher up in the mountains.
Be dry. Be safe.

Wayne

gollwoods
11-19-2015, 14:34
i use basic gardening gloves, not the cotton ones, they are rough like emory cloth and grip well.

daddytwosticks
11-19-2015, 15:22
My poly glove liners weigh like one ounce. I wouldn't hike in April without them. :)

bigcranky
11-19-2015, 20:14
I've had some awfully cold weather on the trail in April in the Southern Appalachians. I always take gloves, and lightweight rain mitts.

garlic08
11-19-2015, 20:31
Another vote for light glove liners, and use a spare spare of socks as mitts if it gets as cold my April start--blowing snow and temps in the teens a couple of times--in the Smokies and over Mt Rogers. Finally, top them off with bread bags if it's wet, too. No extra weight.

Starchild
11-19-2015, 20:53
Socks could be used as mitts if needed, but from texas, no you need something to keep the handzies warm

JaketheFake
11-20-2015, 02:13
Socks could be used as mitts if needed, but from texas, no you need something to keep the handzies warm

Well... Been in texas a long time. First 16 years of my life was in Jersey. My hands may still be thawing from that? I received great advice on this short thread. Definitely bringing gloves. I dug out some old silk ski gloves and although I will have to buy a new pair ( seam on one finger was torn open) I weighed them and they wee less than 2 ounces. Gloves are back on the list.

And from what I remember from Jersey... There can be plenty of cold weather in April up there! Heck, it can be chilly in Texas in April!

bigcranky
11-20-2015, 07:32
One of the coldest nights I ever had on the trail was in early April, and I do a lot of hiking in the winter around here.

4eyedbuzzard
11-20-2015, 09:18
I carry a lightweight pair even in warm conditions. They come in handy for handling a hot cookpot as well.

Tipi Walter
11-20-2015, 09:20

You will learn to keep lighter warm, and start cooking while still warm enough that fingers have dexterity.

I agree with this, and also agree with Venchka---Don't go stupid light. (As far as Boone goes, I lived there for 30 years and spent most of that time outdoors. It's where I learned to appreciate clothing layers and overkill gear even in the summer).

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2008/Camping-with-Cuffs-and-Eman/i-Pc9sh3M/0/L/Trip%2076%20117-L.jpg
I was backpacking near Cheoah Bald on the AT in 2008 and got hit by this light snowstorm on April 30th, so be prepared for cold temps in April---and of course carry gloves.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/Quest-For-The-Connie/i-ccfLXgf/0/L/TRIP%20169%20044-L.jpg
This is my standard load for a backpacking trip in October or November/December and definitely April. (For Jan/Feb/Mar I dispense with the North Face liners and take a pair of down mittens). Always take two pairs of gloves as one will invariably get wet and/or frozen. Keep something dry.

The left pair are $6 walmart fleece gloves and just as good or better than the $30 pair of North Face liners.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/Welcome-to-2015/i-tndSHLg/0/O/Trip%20161%20350.jpg
As someone mentioned, also bring an extremely light pair of eVent shell mittens as above---these are made by Mt Laurel Designs. Their purpose is to keep your sponge-like liner or fleece gloves from soaking up water when packing up a wet tent in the morning or when hiking in a butt cold rain at 35F---a very common occurrence in April in the mountains of Georgia, NC and TN, a butt cold rain that is.

CarlZ993
11-21-2015, 12:24

+1 on MW's suggestion.

From my sample size of 1 (AT thru-hike in 2013), I was glad to have both. My most miserable cold weather hiking day was on April 4th in the Smokeys. Took me almost 5 minutes to open a Snickers bar. Couldn't get my fingers to work.

Dogwood
11-21-2015, 12:38
Another vote for light glove liners, and use a spare spare of socks as mitts if it gets as cold my April start--blowing snow and temps in the teens a couple of times--in the Smokies and over Mt Rogers. Finally, top them off with bread bags if it's wet, too. No extra weight.

Alert. ULer alert. :D

JaketheFake
11-21-2015, 13:35
+1 on MW's suggestion.

From my sample size of 1 (AT thru-hike in 2013), I was glad to have both. My most miserable cold weather hiking day was on April 4th in the Smokeys. Took me almost 5 minutes to open a Snickers bar. Couldn't get my fingers to work.

whew... My start date is April 6th so I won't have to worry about that! lol. I'm glad I opened this thread to ask about the gloves because it honestly has led me to rethink several other items. A pair of liners is less than 2 ounces I bought them yesterday. I'm rethinking everything and planning for wicked cold for April.

egilbe
11-21-2015, 15:26
whew... My start date is April 6th so I won't have to worry about that! lol. I'm glad I opened this thread to ask about the gloves because it honestly has led me to rethink several other items. A pair of liners is less than 2 ounces I bought them yesterday. I'm rethinking everything and planning for wicked cold for April.

plan for potentially hiking in snow and below freezing temps

Hangfire
11-21-2015, 15:46
You have to be ready for anything in early April, start heavy and then send things home (or bounce) when need be.

garlic08
11-21-2015, 17:02
Yeah, April in the Southern Appalachians was among the coldest three season backpacking I've done. And even after I sent my warm stuff home after making it to Pearisburg in early May, I still wished I had it a week later in sub-freezing temps. I belatedly heard a wise person say to hold onto your warm stuff until the Trail Days weekend (mid-May), no matter where you are.

Skinny Rooster
11-21-2015, 22:27
I started April 8th this past year. Bring the gloves.

I carried light weight fleece gloves along with water proof rain mitts from Mountain Laurel Designs and used them often. It can be annoying or even dangerous if you are in a situation where you cannot use your fingers because they are so cold.

Got them back in Hanover for the final leg and then never used them (finished 16 September) so you never know! But better safe than sorry.

saltysack
11-23-2015, 12:10

+1 bread bags over liner gloves...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk