PDA

View Full Version : November hiking????

DavidNH
11-19-2015, 15:32
It's mid or late November. The days are short with sunset near or before 5 pm. The skies are grey. it's breezy, the trees are bare, and temps are in 30's or 40's at best. So it's chilly, probably quite breezy and there is little or no snow.

Are you hitting the trail or putting the hiking boots in the closet?

If you ARE going hiking this time of year.. one I've got one question for you. WHY? wouldn't not be best to wait for brighter days?

rafe
11-19-2015, 15:36
Day hikes are cool any time of year. Views are great in winter and there are no bugs. It's a whole different scene.

Offshore
11-19-2015, 15:38
Why would you not? After all, tomorrow may never come. Fall and winter hiking are a completely different experience even on familiar trails. I am putting the summer boots away, but I'm getting out the warmer boots and the snowshoes.

Rmcpeak
11-19-2015, 15:58
I'm a teacher. I get a week off for Thanksgiving. My ex has the kids. See ya!

illabelle
11-19-2015, 16:03
We aren't equipped or experienced for November up there in NH, but down here it's a great time to be out. Chilly & breezy isn't the most fun, but November isn't always like that. Plenty of days with bright sunshine, and crisp temperatures. Last year we did a weekend hike on the AT in the Nantahalas. There was a dusting of snow in the upper elevations, and it was pretty cold. But the down sure felt cozy. :)

MuddyWaters
11-19-2015, 16:03
It's mid or late November. The days are short with sunset near or before 5 pm. The skies are grey. it's breezy, the trees are bare, and temps are in 30's or 40's at best. So it's chilly, probably quite breezy and there is little or no snow.

If you ARE going hiking this time of year.. one I've got one question for you. WHY? wouldn't not be best to wait for brighter days?

Its actually a great time behind a front. Cold nights, clear skies . Just avoid cold rain. Bare trees mean more light.

HooKooDooKu
11-19-2015, 16:41
If you ARE going hiking this time of year.. one I've got one question for you. WHY?
Because you can find leaf covered trail scenes like this...

Ktaadn
11-19-2015, 16:48
Temps are still in the 60s here. Most trees have lost their leaves, so the views are better. Some trees still have some really pretty colored leaves which are amazing. No bugs. I'm in!

Sarcasm the elf
11-19-2015, 16:52
Why would I not go hiking when I have the chance? The question doesn't make sense to me. Plus, I find this weather beautiful.

1azarus
11-19-2015, 16:55
Hey, quick! go for a two hour walk tomorrow at noon. that'll make you feel better.

colorado_rob
11-19-2015, 17:12
Why would you not? After all, tomorrow may never come. Fall and winter hiking are a completely different experience even on familiar trails. I am putting the summer boots away, but I'm getting out the warmer boots and the snowshoes.Yeah, why would you not? I think we probably hike/camp/snowshoe/ski/bike/camp more days from October to May then June-September, for an average year. Heading out soon for a tour of several National Parks....

Uncle Joe
11-19-2015, 17:38
My gimpy back is finally able to take on some weight! I hope to be hiking over the next few days. Not sure about sleeping out, though. I should be testing my gear for the cold, though.

tiptoe
11-19-2015, 17:55
No backpacking, but lots of local hikes and walks for me. I'm resplendent in orange, just to be on the safe side. Mostly I've been busy putting the garden to bed, raking leaves, and now, cleaning the house in preparation for Thanksgiving.

peakbagger
11-19-2015, 18:00
Thanksgiving weekend there are usually plenty of hikers out in the whites. There are even some brave overnighters who head up the various shelters like Garfield, Guyot and Kinsman. Unfortunately there are some folks who assume sunny and 50 in boston applies to Mt Washington and forget their winter gear. Even though there is no snow except the summits, it can be icy so traction can be needed but it easy not to use it as the lack of snow means its hard on the gear. Slips and falls from hidden ice can be worse as there is no snow to cushion the blow. I expect Gray Knob on Adams will be busy this weekend as that is the only high hut open with some heat as all the high elevation AMC huts are closed. The three AMC huts down low are busy all winter but they are all are quite cold except around the kitchen. NH is still in hunting season although Maine doesn't hunt on Sundays so for those worried about hunters its easy to head across the border.

RockDoc
11-19-2015, 18:03
We hiked PenMar to HF on the weekend before Thanksgiving a few years ago. We loved the way that you could look so far through the woods because the leaves were gone. The weather was nice (that's hit and miss). We had a shelter all to ourselves one night, then stayed in PATC's Bear Creek Cabin. It was a wonderful, glorious trip and we would do it again. We've also hiked in Shenandoah that week, based out of the Corbin cabin. Pretty chancy though, a huge storm chased us out on the day we left. But if you watch the weather, you can do well. I would carry NOAA weather radio...

RangerZ
11-19-2015, 19:00
To quote those great hikers, trail named the Mamas and the Papas:
“All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray. I've been for a walk on a winter's day.”
Really, what would you do if the first time that you went out backpacking in the cold and snow was the first time that you ever went backpacking in the cold and snow?

I’m going out overnight Sat/Sun just to get another night under silnylon this year, temps here in Pittsburgh will be 50s and 30s, half a chance or less of some rain overnight, maybe some snow flurries on Sunday. 14.25 hrs of dark, I’ve got a book.
You gotta do it sometime. But Tipi Walter I’m not.

egilbe
11-19-2015, 19:18
Gf and I spent a beautiful weekend hiking the Wild River Wilderness and Evans Notch. 14 miles in the snow flurries and wind. It was gorgeous. Good weekend to be out for an overnight trip.

Kaptainkriz
11-19-2015, 19:21
I love fall and winter. Cool air, crunchy leaves, no bugs, fewer crowds.... I hate to sweat in the summer and the relentless heat...ick!

http://youtu.be/4JJC842T3ZM

donthaveoneyet
11-19-2015, 19:30
I hike every single day, between 6:00 and 9:00 a.m., before work, in a park (foot paths, easy/moderate terrain), at least 5 and usually 6-8 miles. I love hiking this time of year (although I realize what I'm doing might properly be characterized as simply walking). I carry a 20 lb pack at all times, for fitness/conditioning purposes, and hike 12-15 miles on Sundays. No bugs, few if any people, it's great. And I have the snowshoes ready for when the snow hits.

poolskaterx
11-19-2015, 20:24
I love hiking when the temps drop, keeps trails that often have too much traffic to fantastic getaways; snow makes a 14 mile over-nighter into quite an epic adventure!

poolskaterx
11-19-2015, 20:29
I love hiking when the temps drop, keeps trails that often have too much traffic to fantastic getaways; snow makes a 14 mile over-nighter into quite an epic adventure!

Foresight
11-19-2015, 23:53

I think you answered your own question here......

I don't hike much at all in the winter (very cold snowy icy). Last winter I stopped exercising altogether and payed for it this past summer. I'm 52 yrs old 6ft 3 and near 300 pounds. Hikes up Mt Moosilauke and Mount Chocorua (NH White Mountains) left me exhausted this past summer. It took me five hours to get up Moosilauke (Glen Cliff Trail) So yeah, I've gotten out of shape.

I'm looking for suggestions to get back into shape without "killing" myself in the process. I've joined a week or two ago Planet Fitness and am going a couple times a week at the moment.

DavidNH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tipi Walter
11-20-2015, 00:45

This is the strangest and most depressing thread I have ever read on Whiteblaze. Putting the hiking boots in the closet? No, just ordered a pair of Zamberlan hiking boots for a December trip and a January trip and a February trip.

Your quote: "If you ARE going hiking this time of year, I've got one question for you. WHY? Wouldn't it be best to wait for brighter days?"

Let's get sarcastic: "If you ARE going to stay home and indoors this time of year, I have to ask one nagging question: WHY??? Wouldn't it be best to get the heck out of the house and flee the indoor thermostat and the death-dealing couch and the TV nut-box and the cyber finger hiking and embrace pretty Miss Nature as she sports thru her variety of moods? Sleep with her when it's hot, sleep with her when it's cold. As long as we have a Nature to go out into, there's no other choice.

salsi
11-20-2015, 01:34
why stop, went for a hike yesterday today checked over my skis and snowshoes to be ready for the snow in a month or more.

it_mike
11-20-2015, 04:07
Pulling together my first AT section hike for Thanksgiving weekend.

Fall is a great time for hiking in the South (properly equipped). Less heat, less 'traffic', and great views.

BTW, if anyone knows a cheap, reliable, shuttle from Woody Gap to Springer, drop me a pm. We're hoping to park at WG Friday morning, catch a lift to Springer, and hike back by Sunday night.

Oslohiker
11-20-2015, 04:23

- Because cold weather is not a problem. You will carry a heavier pack, but will not overheat (you can always peel of a layer).
- The food will stay fresh.
- It is more beautiful.
- It is enough light during the day.
- No bugs.
- The bears are taking a nap.
- Less creepy people.

ChrisJackson
11-20-2015, 05:28
Yep, still at it. Less light makes finding FRI night campsites after work challenging- but it's not slowing me down. I love this time of year!

cneill13
11-20-2015, 05:34
No bugs, no snakes, less bears and best of all, very few people.

You have the entire place to yourself.

To me, winter is the best time to hike.

Just make sure you have a tested winter sleep system.

saltysack
11-20-2015, 07:23
SOLITUDE!!!!! ...ill take cold over hot any day! Tipi hit the nail on the head! I enjoy the challenging conditions and weather.....

White Shimmer
11-20-2015, 07:48
It is not as interesting for me as is the color moth here of late Oct. But bug-free, cooler, more raw, more weather challenges, and leaf litter on the trail masking hazards are all challenges and excitable points for me. I also run my trails and appreciate all of the stuff I mentioned- the masked hazards have injured me a little, but I take that challenge on as well! I also REALLY like the reduction and almost absence of trail traffic.

Just yesterday on one of my "off' day 5-mile loops, I was running along the river and spooked a Bald Eagle from a tree perch and s/he flew a hundred yards or so and perched again. We played cat-and-mouse as I continued my run downriver, watching each other. Without the loss of foliage, this encounter would not have been nearly as engaging, and might have been missed altogether.

On this same run, I encountered an 8-point rutted whitetail buck. Yeah, Nov and Dec are great!

White Shimmer
11-20-2015, 07:50
Ugg! Too many typos above. Here is the clean version...

It is not as interesting for me as is the color time here of late Oct. But bug-free, cooler, more rawness, more weather challenges, and leaf litter on the trail masking hazards are all challenges and excitable points for me. I also run my trails and appreciate all of the stuff I mentioned- the masked hazards have injured me a little, but I take that challenge on as well! I also REALLY like the reduction and almost absence of trail traffic.

Just yesterday on one of my "off' day 5-mile loops, I was running along the river and spooked a Bald Eagle from a tree perch and s/he flew a hundred yards or so downriver and perched again. We played cat-and-mouse as I continued my run downriver, watching each other. Without the loss of foliage, this encounter would not have been nearly as engaging, and might have been missed altogether.

On this same run, I encountered an 8-point rutted whitetail buck. Yeah, Nov and Dec are great!

daddytwosticks
11-20-2015, 08:14
Pulling together my first AT section hike for Thanksgiving weekend.

Fall is a great time for hiking in the South (properly equipped). Less heat, less 'traffic', and great views.

BTW, if anyone knows a cheap, reliable, shuttle from Woody Gap to Springer, drop me a pm. We're hoping to park at WG Friday morning, catch a lift to Springer, and hike back by Sunday night.

Wes Wisson. :)

upstream
11-20-2015, 08:51
WHY??

Because it's the best time of year for bushwhacking, peak bagging, abandoned trail finding, trail maintenance, views, etc.

Traveler
11-20-2015, 08:54
For me, the hiking season calendar starts in November, with July and August being the months I would be less inclined to take a long hard walk. November marks the start of crisp mornings, cool air, nearly perfect conditions for a walkabout. The late fall into winter is, in my view, a great time to hike as opposed to late spring and summer. Heat is not something you have to deal with, there are less people out and the people who are out tend to be part of the tribe so there are few teeth grinding moments, no bugs, wildlife you have to be wary of during the green months are sleeping (bears, snakes, etc), you can get into places on frozen ground or snowpack that are not accessible during warm months and see more wildlife at a distance with less foliage.

I find winter to be more challenging than summer and requires additional equipment to get around the forests. Sometimes the challenge is not as much the hike/terrain as it is figuring out what to bring and wear to stay warm, dry, and comfortable at various points of the journey when the temperatures dip toward zero with a significant wind. You have to really want it to even be out there, the camaraderie is much higher in these conditions when you come across other people.

saltysack
11-20-2015, 09:11
Wes Wisson. :)

Wes
(706) 747-2671

Bronk
11-20-2015, 13:31
I do most of my hiking from October through April. I like the cool daytime weather to hike in...no bugs...and when its cold you really enjoy a fire at the end of a long day. Early to bed also means you're going to be up at the crack of dawn so you're really taking advantage of every daylight hour.

Mags
11-20-2015, 13:49

Last week...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/637/22634289718_7eecc09e70.jpg

That's why...

Bring a book.

Or, switch to car camping. Get into camp early, have lots of warm gear, some good food, a nice lantern perhaps a fire..and enjoy being outside.

It is what we are doing over Thanksgiving.

Tipi Walter
11-20-2015, 14:04
WHY? Would it not be best to wait for brighter days?

What do you mean by "brighter"???? Will December be brighter? How about January or February?

Are you dissing November days in particular or all days during the winter season??

Mags has inspired me to post visual proof to answer WHY: Because it's awesome!

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2006/Subzero-Blizzard-and-the-16th/i-gczGkSr/0/M/Trip%2065%20039-M.jpg

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2002-2004/13-Backpacking-Trips-Of-2003/i-TTtMTzk/0/M/Scan10-0001-M.jpg

Lyle
11-20-2015, 14:12
Absolutely go hiking in November. Look at the fantastic weather we've had recently. Why not spend it on a trail?

That said, be prepared for winter condition as well. One of the worst winter storms I've been out in was in SNP in November. Started from the Skyline Drive, near Bear Fence Mountain Hut. First part of the trip was warm, sunny, no shirts kind of hiking. Got to Elk Wallow Wayside, met some employees who were closing up the restaurant/store for the winter. They warned us of an approaching storm. We hiked on to Gravel Springs Hut. Was still nice enough that I got water from the spring and washed my hair. Later that evening the storm rolled in. Rain -> Freezing Rain -> Sleet -> Snow -> Blizzard. Trees coming down around us from the ice accumulations. By morning had about 2 feet of snow on top of a thick layer of ice. VERY cold, still windy. Attempted to hike toward the Tom Floyd Wayside, but between the snow on the ground and the tree branches bending down under the ice and snow, we could not stand upright on the trail. Moved to the Skyline Drive that was completely closed down to traffic. Some places had to hike around 15 foot drifts on the roadway. Made it to the Tom Floyd for another very cold night.

Next morning, the bright sun was out, the forest transformed into a crystal palace of beauty. The warm sun made the hike out to the highway magical. Arrived at the highway just as our ride arrived at the crossing - perfect timing. Had to stay at her house for a couple of days before the Skyline Drive was re-opened and we could get back to our car. Wouldn't have missed this trip for anything.

Tipi Walter
11-20-2015, 14:21
Lyle's post reminds me of a trip in November 2013 during Thanksgiving weekend when a butt cold 2 day rain was followed by snow and temps down to 12F. I was on the Little Santeetlah trail in the Slickrock wilderness in NC and suffered in an early season cold snap. It was freakish and might've been the same storm system which hit Lyle.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/19-Days-of-Solitude/i-44hTcJR/0/M/TRIP%20151%20186-M.jpg
A 12F COLD November morning in North Carolina. What's the worst thing about winter backpacking? Packing up in the morning.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/19-Days-of-Solitude/i-69SpbDR/0/M/TRIP%20151%20189-M.jpg
The worst is over as the frozen icy tent is down and stuffed in the sack. Let's get the heck out of Dodge.

maptester
11-20-2015, 15:20
My son and I just did a quick overnight (Nov. 14th) along the Chattooga River. A little cold Sunday morning but it made the oatmeal welcome and the hike out comfortable.

colorado_rob
11-20-2015, 16:13
Mags threw down the Utah gauntlet.... IF you're not rappelling down the final move of Neon Canyon in November, you really should be:

Lyle
11-20-2015, 16:35
[QUOTE=Tipi Walter;2020692]Lyle's post reminds me of a trip in November 2013 during Thanksgiving weekend when a butt cold 2 day rain was followed by snow and temps down to 12F. I was on the Little Santeetlah trail in the Slickrock wilderness in NC and suffered in an early season cold snap. It was freakish and might've been the same storm system which hit Lyle.

No, not the same storm. Mine was way back in 1987. Storm struck Washington, DC as well. Clean-up there was terrible because folks just abandoned their vehicles on the streets and bridges when they couldn't move. Quite a mess.

Here's an article about what hit DC:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/2010/11/on_this_veterans_day_in_1987.html

Was even worse in the mountains as you would expect.

Mags
11-20-2015, 16:47
Mags threw down the Utah gauntlet.... I:

Actually, it is Colorado. :)

Just Bill
11-20-2015, 17:21
If it's colder than you'd like- just borrow a coat

Wear a warm hat and put a hot bottle in yer crotch... but not too hot

It gets dark early, so settle in and have a hot cocoa and in no time you'll be a happy bastard.

colorado_rob
11-20-2015, 18:38
Actually, it is Colorado. :) Dinosaur NM? Pretty area in any case.

eblanche
11-20-2015, 18:41
I hike year round. I don't just go out for the nice sun basking between the trees. A night out in the cold and wet rainy woods can be a blast! In fact, just last night I went to a small mountain in NH where it poured all night but I had myself a great time with a clean shelter all to myself.

Wise Old Owl
11-20-2015, 23:30
Hey, quick! go for a two hour walk tomorrow at noon. that'll make you feel better.

wow you are still here?

saltysack
11-21-2015, 01:29
My son and I just did a quick overnight (Nov. 14th) along the Chattooga River. A little cold Sunday morning but it made the oatmeal welcome and the hike out comfortable.

Looking forward to FHT last week of Dec....

LittleRock
11-23-2015, 09:24
Winter is for day hiking. I did some winter backpacking trips when I was younger, but found that short daylight hours, freezing temps, snowy/icy trails, and heavy packs all make backpacking less enjoyable. I'd rather enjoy a hot shower, hot meal, cozy lighting, and a warm bed than sit out in the cold and darkness for 14 hours and then wake up to put on frozen boots.

Tipi Walter
11-23-2015, 09:33
Winter is for day hiking. I did some winter backpacking trips when I was younger, but found that short daylight hours, freezing temps, snowy/icy trails, and heavy packs all make backpacking less enjoyable. I'd rather enjoy a hot shower, hot meal, cozy lighting, and a warm bed than sit out in the cold and darkness for 14 hours and then wake up to put on frozen boots.

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!:eek:

Winter is for backpacking.

it_mike
11-23-2015, 09:40
Let's compromise and say winter is for short, relaxing backpacking trips with friends. 3 day packs, some 'anti-freeze', and a campfire in the snow :)

Marta
11-23-2015, 10:22
Why hike in November?

No bugs...or not very many.

Snappy temperatures that make it fun to move briskly.

No crowds.

Thin skim of snow that is easy to move over. (Micro-Spikes excel here.)

Fantastical ice formations as the waterfalls start to freeze for the winter and there are icicles at every seep.

rafe
11-23-2015, 10:22
When I think winter hiking, it's mainly New England I'm thinking of. November is still on the cusp of winter, there may or may not be snow on the ground. On the AT near Glencliff a couple weeks ago, still had some nice foliage, no snow, high of 50F or so. Deep freshly fallen leaves and leaf-slick trail were the worst of our worries. Years ago I was at Hermit Lake shelter at Tuckermans Ravine, Thanksgiving night, plenty of snow and -10F overnight.

Most of winter the mountains are under deep snow. Turns out you can camp almost anywhere, and legally. For me, winter hikes are simple out-and-back or easy loops. I've done the Franconia loop a few times in March/April/May, in packed snow. Great scenery all along the route, up, across, and back down.

Last May I was breaking trail on Kinsman in May and it was nearly impassible. It was fine weather but the snow was deep and rotten, postholing every third step. Ugh.

Tipi can have the winter camping scene, I think I'm over that. ;)

Moosling
11-23-2015, 10:24
Hiking is great in any season, it offers a whole new element to hike in the late fall and into winter, heck I'll even do day hikes in the snow, its amazing to hike some of the same locations you hike in warmer months and see the change its like being in a brand new place.

Uncle Joe
11-23-2015, 10:25
I keep thinking I want to go up and do an overnight right now. I've got what I think is a decent system for a 30F night. But I'm finding that the thirties feel bloody cold to me! I'm in the South and we have a fairly humid cold, so I tell myself. But honestly, I don't think I can sleep at 30F outside. Am I just being a wuss?

rafe
11-23-2015, 10:33
I keep thinking I want to go up and do an overnight right now. I've got what I think is a decent system for a 30F night. But I'm finding that the thirties feel bloody cold to me! I'm in the South and we have a fairly humid cold, so I tell myself. But honestly, I don't think I can sleep at 30F outside. Am I just being a wuss?

You won't know till you try. Winter is obviously more challenging than summer, in all sorts of ways. There's much less room for error. I think maybe it's a young person's pastime, but I'm sure a few gnarly old seniors will disagree. You need gear, but more importantly, skills, common sense, caution, etc. I don't hike alone in winter.

Tipi Walter
11-23-2015, 10:35
Tipi can have the winter camping scene, I think I'm over that. ;)

But then you are only accepting one half of Miss Nature's beauty. Why sleep with her 5 or 6 months out of the year and miss the other 6 months? She expects more.

And why can't I post full size pics on this thread anymore????

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2009/In-The-Citico-With-Hootyhoo/i-7WdvhJN/0/L/trip%2090%20049-L.jpg
Oh okay, it works again!!!

colorado_rob
11-23-2015, 11:43
You won't know till you try. Winter is obviously more challenging than summer, in all sorts of ways. There's much less room for error. I think maybe it's a young person's pastime, but I'm sure a few gnarly old seniors will disagree. You need gear, but more importantly, skills, common sense, caution, etc. I don't hike alone in winter.Not "obviously" at all, in fact I disagree... winter is in many ways LESS challenging and kinder, gentler. for example, less chance of getting wet and hypothermic (this is true, despite what those who never do this think). Much less, essentially zero chance of getting struck by lightning. Zero bugs. Fewer crowds. easier on us old-fart's knees when descending (nice soft plunge steps in soft snow!). Much less UV to fry you.

What is more challenging is the lack of daylight and avalanche risk, and sometimes navigation (though using a GPS mitigates this greatly). It also take more energy to travel (level and uphill) on soft snow (though it is sometimes, in fact most times easier to climb on hard snow than bare dirt). These are really the only things that I think are more challenging.

Just got back from a fantastic winter-conditions climb yesterday, heading out for a backpack this coming weekend to our favorite deep-winter spot, the Top of Colorado (Mt. Elbert, 14,431') see pic from last year's annual backpack/climb).

Nice sleeping bag Tipi... looks like a Western Mountaineering Puma perhaps? (I own and use one in the deepest winter backpack trips).

Uncle Joe
11-23-2015, 11:48
We don't get much in the way of snow here so the risk of slippery conditions is near zero unless it rains. Ice is more prevalent in N. GA than snow. I'm not concerned with the hiking or even preparing. It's getting little sleep because I'm just cold. Even if I can bed down and keep warm you gotta get up in the morning and get moving. Something I have a hard time doing when chilled! :p

rafe
11-23-2015, 11:55
I don't know how you can claim, with a straight face, that winter hiking/climbing is easier than summer. But my experience is mainly in New England and DAKs and the White Mountains.

Days are shorter. Nights are longer. Temperatures far lower. You are surrounded by, and walking in, frozen water. So how can the odds of hypothermia be lower than in summer? This is nonsensical.

The trail is harder to find. Blazes are covered over. The footpath disappears. You're carrying far more weight in traction gear, sleep gear, insulation.

Read the news each winter in New England, there are often one or two hikers who pay the ultimate price for their hubris.

TexasBob
11-23-2015, 12:04
We don't get much in the way of snow here so the risk of slippery conditions is near zero unless it rains. Ice is more prevalent in N. GA than snow. I'm not concerned with the hiking or even preparing. It's getting little sleep because I'm just cold. Even if I can bed down and keep warm you gotta get up in the morning and get moving. Something I have a hard time doing when chilled! :p

It is about expectations. If you expect to be cozy warm at all times then you will be miserable camping in the winter. If you don't expect to be warm all the time then you can enjoy camping in the winter.

Tipi Walter
11-23-2015, 12:28
Nice sleeping bag Tipi... looks like a Western Mountaineering Puma perhaps? (I own and use one in the deepest winter backpack trips).

Righto, correctamundo. Love me some Puma. Love me some microfiber. Good gear recognition.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2007/The-Hangover-Mountan-Clearcut/i-8KdBWfL/0/L/TRIP%2069%20083-L.jpg

It is about expectations. If you expect to be cozy warm at all times then you will be miserable camping in the winter. If you don't expect to be warm all the time then you can enjoy camping in the winter.

Winter backpacking is tougher in many ways---
** You're always attacked by cold temps onto and into human flesh. It's a nonstop battle to stay warm and it's all about the HANDS AND FEET.

** It's harder to prepare a tent site in deep snow. I like to have my tent on bare ground without snow lumps so I often bring a light Voile snow shovel.

** Creek crossings at 0F are ALWAYS hellish.

** Keeping your sleeping pad(s) alive is vital---no in-field failures allowed!! And so backup is needed. CCF, etc.

** Frozen boots always suck.

** Keeping liquid water can be a challenge.

** Packing up a frozen ice-encrusted tent and getting it stuffed into its sack can sometimes be a Cursing Event.

** The Worst part of winter backpacking in the Southeast?? See this pic---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/Halloween-Snowstorm/i-dzM2Zhz/0/L/TRIP%20160%20287-L.jpg
Southeast backpacking trails are known as Green Tunnels and in the right kind of snow these tunnels collapse on themselves with snow load---I call it Snowdowns---and it's a hell slog to get thru except by belly crawling with a 75 lb pack on my back. This pic doesn't do it justice. Imagine a 1 mile long rhododendron tunnel all collapsed on itself and now imagine yourself crawling under it with a 2-3 foot space.

** Postholing is deadly, especially on 3,000 foot mountain climbs. Ergo:

** Any trail is impossible to find in deep snow.

BUT THE BEST REASON TO GO BACKPACKING IN THE WINTER????

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/17-Days-In-Rattlerville/i-6dGv4Kq/0/O/Trip%20165%20334.jpg

LIhikers
11-23-2015, 12:48
For the OP...skip hiking in November and start again in December, problem solved.

Tipi Walter
11-23-2015, 12:51
For the OP...skip hiking in November and start again in December, problem solved.

And certainly plan elaborate 2 week trips in January and February. It was the best of times . . .

chknfngrs
11-23-2015, 15:20
Did PenMar to HF yesterday and LOTSA folk out there, OP.

redseal
11-23-2015, 21:30
November just means adding some orange to my outfit. One of my favorite months to explore trails!

LittleRock
11-24-2015, 09:11
But then you are only accepting one half of Miss Nature's beauty. Why sleep with her 5 or 6 months out of the year and miss the other 6 months? She expects more.

Winter is only 3-4 months down South. I can go that long without backpacking.

Jim Adams
11-24-2015, 09:15
No bugs, better views, more wildlife sightings, better water, no sweating, LESS PEOPLE, although you will probably be surprised how many people will be out there. I put my hiking boots in the closet in June and get them back out in October. Summer is just to hot, too crowded and too uncomfortable.

rafe
11-24-2015, 10:45
No bugs, better views, more wildlife sightings, better water, no sweating, LESS PEOPLE, although you will probably be surprised how many people will be out there. I put my hiking boots in the closet in June and get them back out in October. Summer is just to hot, too crowded and too uncomfortable.

August and September are great months to be on the AT. Crowds won't be a problem except in the "beauty spots." By mid-August the worst of the summer heat is gone and so are the bugs.

saltysack
11-24-2015, 11:12

+1......I did my first mid summer hike this June....not again!!! I'll take the cool weather any day...heat & sweat = chafing, blisters and swamp crotch.....From May to September I'll stick to water sports....

Rmcpeak
11-24-2015, 11:26
Did Swift Run Gap to Chester Gap this weekend. Met Sobo thru hikers Disciple and then later Rookie. There was at least one other guy who had the "thru look." but he didn't want to stop and chat. Here's by little trip report (http://hikingbob.blogspot.com/2015/11/trip-report-swift-run-gap-to-chester.html). This was an excellent NOVEMBER hike!

wdskinner77
11-24-2015, 11:29
I'm going hiking from Springer Mountain to Neels Gap on Thanksgiving break... weather looks awesome... I love it when it gets cooler... I've lived in Orlando practically all of my life where it is miserable hot most the time... I love to hike in the Fall/Winter because summer is awful here.

Tipi Walter
11-24-2015, 11:46
Winter is only 3-4 months down South. I can go that long without backpacking.

Maybe in Raleigh but not in the mountains of TN or NC. We see 6 months of cold weather camping a year. Last night it was 20F near my location.

dudeijuststarted
11-24-2015, 11:54
I can think of nothing more peaceful than the AT in a snowfall. Pond Mountain / Laurel Falls area is one of my all-time favorites after a snowfall.

rafe
11-24-2015, 12:15
We're getting consistent overnight frosts just about now (Nov. 24) here in southern New England. From this point on, microspikes and crampons are definitely recommended, if not on your feet then in your kit ready for quick deployment.

It also means ski season is just about here. Yay!

evyck da fleet
11-24-2015, 13:34
32766 My idea of November hiking.

Sure I'll go for a few hour day hike on the weekend around home as long as is not raining but if I'm taking a hiking trip its going to be someplace where the sun rises around six and sets at nine. That gives me more time to hike and explore and less time in my tent and in the dark.

KY MISTWALKER
11-24-2015, 22:17
Anyday is a good day to hike or just get out and enjoy the day.
The world is your play ground go live in it.

Dogwood
11-25-2015, 04:26

This sums it up for me,
Hiking is great in any season, it offers a whole new element to hike in the late fall and into winter, heck I'll even do day(multi wks for me) hikes in the snow, its amazing to hike some of the same locations you hike in warmer months and see the change its like being in a brand new place.

and,
I hike year round. I don't just go out for the nice sun basking between the trees. A night out in the cold and wet rainy woods can be a blast! In fact, just last night I went to a small mountain in NH where it poured all night but I had myself a great time with a clean shelter all to myself.

Its actually a great time behind a front. Cold nights, clear skies... Bare trees mean more light.

...Putting the hiking boots in the closet? No,...

Let's get sarcastic: "If you ARE going to stay home and indoors this time of year, I have to ask one nagging question: WHY??? Wouldn't it be best to get the heck out of the house and flee the indoor thermostat and the death-dealing couch and the TV nut-box and the cyber finger hiking and embrace pretty Miss Nature as she sports thru her variety of moods? Sleep with her when it's hot, sleep with her when it's cold. As long as we have a Nature to go out into, there's no other choice.

- The food will stay fresh.
- It is more beautiful.
- It is enough light during the day.
- No bugs.
- The bears are taking a nap.
- Less creepy people.

Yup, I too bring trail food along on winter hikes that I wouldn't on fairer weather hikes because I'm doing less daily total mileage so wt is less of an an issue since I'm not usually doing super fast and light winter hikes and the food doesn't spoil as quickly.

SOLITUDE!!!!! ...

...Bring a book.

Or, switch to car camping. Get into camp early, have lots of warm gear, some good food, a nice lantern perhaps a fire..and enjoy being outside.

It is what we are doing over Thanksgiving.

"The days are short with sunset near or before 5 pm."

So! One of the experiences I so appreciate is hiking into the winter night! The sounds are so enhanced. When camp is set up I know I'm in tune with Nature and the seasons rather than hiding from them! With snow and ice underfoot and hanging from the trees the crunch crunch under my feet and the drooping snow covered evergreens and heavy wind driven rime are so other worldly architectural like a Disney animation. I feel like I'm on another planet. Experiencing hikes in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and upstate New York in such conditions I've pinched myself knowing how fortunate these experiences are. How soul fulfilling.

Animals are more inquisitive and easier to see. Seeing the breath of foxes, coyotes, wolves, Bison, Owls, elk, Bald Eagles, moose, whitetail deer, pronghorn antelope, mountain goats, Big Horn Sheep , etc in winter is National Geographic at its best. Track and sign are easier to find in some ways too.

Hikes in Yellowstone NP in winter seeing the Bison near the hot springs and seeing/hearing the wolves, moose and Snowy Owls and other wintering birds in New Hampshire/Vermont in winter, herds of panting elk near Grand Teton NP, howling coyotes in Grand Canyon NP in winter, frozen waterfalls/escarpments in Yosemite NP and in Ouray CO, etc are all vividly etched in my memory. I'm better for it!

"The skies are grey. It's breezy."

That's OK too. Good hiking weather! Skies aren't always grey in winter. Winter sunsets can be every bit as breathtaking and colorful as fair season sunsets! OMG, the oranges, purples, magentas, etc of winter sunsets! The cool/cold crisp night is AWESOME for clarity of viewing the night sky. I always see more "falling stars" in winter. I can recall so many a wintery night atop summits that I feel blessed to have experienced just for the night sky and solitude. In winter from these summits before snow has covered the mountains I can hear for long distance rocks and ice crashing down the mountain and occasionally the tell tale squeaks of pikas or dislodged rocks from from Big Horn Sheep and Mountain Goats.

Breezy means I'm usually not sweltering. Breezes chilling my cheeks rosy makes me know I'm ALIVE!

"The trees are bare."

NOT all trees. There are vast evergreen forests even in the Northeast, even in New Hampshire, and even with hiking opportunities!

I appreciate the greater line of distinction I can notice between the deciduous and evergreen forests in late fall through winter. Sometimes, we forget the beauty of evergreens in summer taking them for granted. In the shoulder seasons and winter they come into a greater glory.

Besides, leaves of deciduous tree species aren't all there is to appreciate about deciduous trees! I've taken up deciduous winter tree identification which has opened up me appreciating vast new characteristics of trees that even I as a Horticulturalist and treehugger never fully appreciated.

After the deciduous trees drop most/all of their leaves views open up that aren't there in summer. Those wintering raptors, squirrels, owls, small mammals, other birds(cardinals, blued jays, woodpeckers, waterfowl, late migratory birds, etc), lynx, Bobcat, fox, and occasional moose or bear are easier to glimpse.

Whether it was doing a day hike through Delaware Water Gap, sleeping on the beach in SC or in NC on a Mountains to Sea Tr hike, or in Olympic NP on the coast, or seeing a mountain lion in the snow at Zion NP on Thanksgiving Day or spending Christmas at Phantom Ranch in AZ, trudging through frozen Buckskin Gulch in UT or snowshoeing in Yellowstone NP in WY, etc on New Yrs Day I consider it all a blessing. I consider gratitude a virtue. Consider that when you let winter pass you by while being a depressed and depressing couch potato you are letting your LIFE pass you by.

Hike on...whenever!

Puddlefish
11-25-2015, 10:47
It's mid or late November. The days are short with sunset near or before 5 pm. The skies are grey. it's breezy, the trees are bare, and temps are in 30's or 40's at best. So it's chilly, probably quite breezy and there is little or no snow. Are you hitting the trail or putting the hiking boots in the closet? If you ARE going hiking this time of year.. one I've got one question for you. WHY? wouldn't not be best to wait for brighter days? I don't have winter gear for camping, but I'm still day hiking in the New London area, which is not too far from you. I wait until the air temp gets above freezing late morning and plan to be back before the 4:15 sunset. This might be the most treacherous season for hiking, as sections of trails are icy and covered by 4 inches of dead leaves, so it helps me to stay on trails I'm familiar with and know where the wet spots are likely to be. I'm also far more attentive to safety concerns, proper layering and letting someone know my plans, and check in with them on return. I'm also carrying a whole lot more cold weather survival gear in a full sized pack, but that's partially because I'm training for a late spring AT thru/section (We'll see how it goes) hike. The cold is annoying for the first ten minutes of the hike, but that quickly fades into the background and it's a great time to hike. I need to get a pair of micro crampons so I can extend the season even further, I hate the gym.