PDA

View Full Version : sawyer mini "store wet and clean before using"

novasquid
11-20-2015, 01:33
I was reading sawyer's faq on their water filters and came across this bit on sanitation:

Before storing your filter, Sawyer recommends sanitizing your filter. This process is simple: Back flush filter. Run a standard bleach solution (fragrance free) through your filter (one cap of bleach per quart of water). Let air dry and then store in a cool, dry place OR store wet and clean before using.

that last bit had me confused. is sawyer actually suggesting you can store their water filters wet, as in submerged in a container of water long term until ready to use again? or am I not reading it right?

Maui Rhino
11-20-2015, 03:06
When storing my full-size Sawyer, I backflush with distilled water. I've read reports of chemicals and minerals in tap water crystallizing in the filter and clogging it. I'll then stand up it on a paper towel for a few days before packing it away.

Don H
11-20-2015, 09:02
Let air dry and then store in a cool, dry place OR store wet and clean before using.

Seems to me they want you to clean, dry and store or just put it away wet and then clean before using.

I think i'd do the former since letting the filter set wet for extended periods of time might make it harder to clean.

Turtle-2013
11-20-2015, 09:52
" OR store wet and clean before using."

They probably are suggesting that keeping it entirely wet is fine. What I have read suggests leaving the weak bleach solution in the filter and rinsing it before use. The ENEMY is bacterial growth which comes from damp AND air ... I'm pretty sure you are unlikely to get anaerobic growth in a filter, just aerobic growth. Therefore if no air can get to the filter it will stay "safe". Also, you will NOT be able to get ALL of the water out of it no matter how long you leave it to "dry" (according to Sawyer), hence leaving a weak bleach in the filter to prevent growth.

If this explanation doesn't make sense, I will be happy to ask a bio-chem major I know to ask his professor for a more "professional" opinion.

Odd Man Out
11-20-2015, 10:39
When storing my full-size Sawyer, I backflush with distilled water. I've read reports of chemicals and minerals in tap water crystallizing in the filter and clogging it. I'll then stand up it on a paper towel for a few days before packing it away.

I do the same. I think a rinse with a dilute bleach solution would not be a bad idea. Soaking in vinegar has also been recommended to remove scale build up. But I would always follow these with a thorough backflush with distilled water and allow to dry. Be sure to use distilled water as you want it to mineral-free before drying.

novasquid
11-20-2015, 12:03
good info here, thanks!

jackwagon
11-20-2015, 18:02
You could always ask them: https://sawyer.com/contact/