PDA

View Full Version : What do you all think of these 2 pieces of gear together?

BenOnAdventures
11-20-2015, 11:30
Hey everyone I hope all of you hAve had a great week. I was wondering, I was looking at going with a ULA Circuit but I found the Osprey 48 Kestrel. Do you think the Enlightened Equipment Enigma would fit inside the Kestrel? Also other details are that I have been talking with a few other people that this coming year we will probably do the Continental Divide Trail. So is 48L enough? Thanks and have a great weekend!

Maui Rhino
11-20-2015, 11:47
Personally, I'd find the pack to be too small. But then again, I'm not an UL hiker. I suggest you mock up a 48L box and see if all your gear and food fit inside, with enough room leftover for the quilt you have in mind. This way, you can be sure to get the right sized pack, volume-wise.

BenOnAdventures
11-20-2015, 11:55
Thank you I appreciate the response!!

4eyedbuzzard
11-20-2015, 12:20
Of course it will fit. But will it fit with all the other stuff? Like sleeping pad, tent/tarp, cooking gear, clothing, a weeks worth of food, water, bear canister, camera, first aid, ect. Note also the Enigma series covers a wide range of sizes and temps, so a long, wide, warm rated one will take up likely twice the room of a short, slim, warm weather quilt.

Just Bill
11-20-2015, 12:59
Thought you already bought a 70L ULA a few days ago and then asked about putting a EE bag in that?

Since you appear to be starting over, how bout starting over for real?

Gearing up- in order

Sleep- insulation, pad, pillows, hats (Hammock?)

Shelter- weather, ground, bugs, wind

Stuff- Food, Water, cooking(or not), navigation, safety, clothing, personal care, diddy bag.

Crap- Luxury items, electronics, fears, inexperience, junk.

Sack- A pack that can carry everything comfortably.

Yer money; feel free to waste it.
Other's time and advice; not your's to waste.

Work on your sleeping gear. Get that all dialed in and working for you. Then go to the next step.
Feel free to ask questions about that, have a great weekend researching it.
Sleep in the backyard. Get two broomsticks, a roll of mason's twine, 8 gutter spikes, and an 8x10 blue poly tarp from Hopey Depto.
Tell us about your great weekend, how you learned to pitch an A-frame tarp, tested out your new EE quilt and how you're wondering why you slid off your pad or what to do when your nose and toes got chilly.

Focus dude. Have you nailed down one piece of gear yet?
You can't select a pack without knowing anything that is going in it.

Folks will help you if you help yourself.
Otherwise, it's getting old.

:welcome

Heliotrope
11-20-2015, 14:50
I can fit my enigma 20 deg quilt in my gorilla 40L pack with a week of food and tarp/ tent etc. but like Bill said it took me a while to figure out what gear works for me. Trying to choose the "right" pack can make you crazy until you know what you need it to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Bill
11-20-2015, 15:17
http://gossamergear.com/the-rukus-daypack.html

I can fit 3- 25* quilts and 3-45* quilts in various sizes, and a Large xtherm into my 40L GG Rukus. Plus 2 more quilts if I really feel like it.
Stacking them together should keep me warm to -60, maybe even warm enough that I could melt snow against my chest... but I'd probably want to just bring a stove. :D

That and this pack isn't actually 40L, nor does X Liters of space mean anything really. Besides the somewhat questionable math that even a legit company could use to calculate Liters of space... you're not bringing packing peanuts or ping pong balls... you're carrying odd shaped stuff with changing volumes of consumables so it doesn't mean anything really. A pack is neither a rectangle or a circle, nor is it a solid that can have it's volume measured via Archimedes bubble bath.

A 1L Nalgene actually holds more than a liter and takes up more space in your pack than a liter.
And a L of water weighs 2.2 lbs, but a liter of water weighs more in a nalgene than it weighs in a Platypus and if you put your 2L platy in your side pouch and it fits does that mean that the pouch holds 2L even though a 1L nalgene bottle will barely fit in there and the top 1/3rd of the bottle sticks out? So is it a 2L pocket or a 2/3rd liter pocket? And of course if you repurpose a 1L smartwater bottle because it's easier to reach and then there's room in the pocket for a hat and a windshell it's now a really useful pocket. Then again if you move your water bottles to your shoulder strap and don't put anything in the side pocket I guess then it's a zero L pocket right?

Pack volume is a very questionable and fairly useless guideline.

Heliotrope
11-20-2015, 15:43
When I purchased my pack. I took all of my gear and measured the volume of what I wanted to fit the volume of the main compartment. Primarily food bags, quilt, clothing, sleeping pad and shelter. Other items that are for day use such as water bottles, filter, days food ration, camera need space in outside pockets, etc. The outside pockets are a good example. I know that I can fit a 2L water bladder in each side pocket when traveling in desert climes. Such bladders extend beyond the pockets defined volume making them functionally larger. The ability to lash items on the outside may also extend the volume. On the flip side, being able to compress your pack with small loads is also important. With only a day or two of food plus your gear, can you compress the load into a tight and comfortable package. Using volume measurement is helpful to get you in the ballpark of the right pack. Many of us measure the weight of each piece of gear. I chose my pack be measuring the volume of my gear plus the general volume of a weeks worth of food that I would eat.

Just Bill
11-20-2015, 16:09
Let's do something productive... Did you buy a quilt yet Ben?

Venchka
11-20-2015, 23:30
I want to know when and where you and a few people plan to start your do the CDT thing.
Given the plethora of 50 liter, + or -, packs on the market how did you find the Kestrel? And why? That's not a pack that gets mentioned a lot.
Standing by.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

TNhiker
11-21-2015, 00:11
I want to know when and where you and a few people plan to start your do the CDT thing.

yeah.........id like to hear the logistics in this hike........

sometimes, i just think the threads on here are just fodder for his blog.................

saltysack
11-21-2015, 01:16
Just buy the damn circuit! Perfect for all but the ultra gram weenies...you will be happy!

Venchka
11-21-2015, 20:47
yeah.........id like to hear the logistics in this hike........

sometimes, i just think the threads on here are just fodder for his blog.................

No worse than all the other blathering repeatedly about topics that rookies bring up repeatedly because nobody searches or the search thingy here is challenged.
Besides, Just Bill needs the practice.

Wayne

cmoulder
11-22-2015, 00:18
Hey everyone I hope all of you hAve had a great week. I was wondering, I was looking at going with a ULA Circuit but I found the Osprey 48 Kestrel. Do you think the Enlightened Equipment Enigma would fit inside the Kestrel? Also other details are that I have been talking with a few other people that this coming year we will probably do the Continental Divide Trail. So is 48L enough? Thanks and have a great weekend!

Hi, Ben:

Really, seriously... I'm really new here myself, but think about doing a 200-mile section hike or some such as a shakedown cruise before the big event. This kind of question suggests you're not ready for the main event. I've looked at your blog and your "tips" are generic, regurgitated pabulum that do not reflect actual field experience. Spend a couple of weeks in Maine in -25F temps and then maybe you'll be qualified to offer some useful advice on dressing for cold weather.

capehiker
11-22-2015, 20:17
I hate to dog pile, but the first thing you should do is remove your signature containing links to your gear reviews and advice. C'mon- are you seriously asking if an EE Enigma can fit inside a Osprey 48L bag....and then offering up survival techniques on your blog?!?

donthaveoneyet
11-22-2015, 20:22
I hate to dog pile, but the first thing you should do is remove your signature containing links to your gear reviews and advice. C'mon- are you seriously asking if an EE Enigma can fit inside a Osprey 48L bag....and then offering up survival techniques on your blog?!?

Yeah, that's been the MO from the beginning. It's all about driving traffic to a blog.

Venchka
11-22-2015, 20:54
What blog? I haven't visited a blog.
I don't plan to waste time at some blog if the "prose" resembles the OP's fractured writing here.
I'll be back with a list of stuff that will fit in my 50 (+ or -) liter pack.
For openers: a Western Mountaineering Ultralite, Alpinlite or Vistalite, any size. How do I know? I didn't ask anyone on the Internet. I took the pack to a dealer and stuffed them in.
You got that Ben?

Wayne

4eyedbuzzard
11-22-2015, 20:58
Yeah, that's been the MO from the beginning. It's all about driving traffic to a blog.Actually, promoting his blog didn't start for almost two weeks when he first joined. But getting attention has always been the MO.