PDA

View Full Version : Does the "AT Market" at routes 9/403 in NY sell Iso-Pro gas?

Arden
11-20-2015, 14:31
Hi;
I will be trekking from Manitou to Wingdale starting tomorrow. I have a slight concern that passing through Grand Central station to get on the train to Manitou that I might be stopped and my pack searched. If they find the small can of Iso-Pro that I need to carry for my stove, it may be confiscated. In that case, my only chance to replace it before I need it would be at the AT Market / Shell station at jct of route 9/403.

Thanks

Arden

Arden
11-20-2015, 16:16
Update: I phoned the market. They don't sell the gas, but Christine said that if my gas is taken from me in NYC, I should call her and she will get some for me. She sounds like a really nice person!
I am going to board the MNCR train for Manitou at 125st Harlem instead of GCT, so the chances of being searched and having the gas taken should be much lower. Still, it's always good to have a 'plan B'

hikeandbike5
11-21-2015, 14:25
your pack won't be searched at gct.

tdoczi
11-21-2015, 14:28
probably not. but every so often the cops do random bag checks even at generic subway entrances in the city. i wouldnt bet on making it by one with your fuel canister, legality aside. i would say boarding the train elsewhere instead of GCT doesnt make a search any less likely though. they are both very unlikely.

Sarcasm the elf
11-21-2015, 21:32
Hi;
I will be trekking from Manitou to Wingdale starting tomorrow. I have a slight concern that passing through Grand Central station to get on the train to Manitou that I might be stopped and my pack searched. If they find the small can of Iso-Pro that I need to carry for my stove, it may be confiscated. In that case, my only chance to replace it before I need it would be at the AT Market / Shell station at jct of route 9/403.

Thanks

Arden

Just fair warning, the NYPD generally doesn't view bringing prohibited items onto trains lightly. I know that if they find you on the subway with a pocketknife you will either be arrested or issued a summons and the same may very well be true for a gas canister. I am not saying I agree with their policies, I'm just warning you of the risk.

tdoczi
11-21-2015, 22:13
Just fair warning, the NYPD generally doesn't view bringing prohibited items onto trains lightly. I know that if they find you on the subway with a pocketknife you will either be arrested or issued a summons and the same may very well be true for a gas canister. I am not saying I agree with their policies, I'm just warning you of the risk.

there are very harsh, very specific laws regarding carrying knives in NYC. not sure there are any about gas canisters, and if there are, whos to say the average cop even knows about their legality one way or another. BUT i think a lot of cops, if they found one in your bag on a random search, would decide not to let you on the subway with it.

Sarcasm the elf
11-21-2015, 22:19
there are very harsh, very specific laws regarding carrying knives in NYC. not sure there are any about gas canisters, and if there are, whos to say the average cop even knows about their legality one way or another. BUT i think a lot of cops, if they found one in your bag on a random search, would decide not to let you on the subway with it.

All highly combustible items are banned from the subways. Interestingly it appears that there may be a bit more leeway with pocketknives that I had thought.

Again, I'm just posting this as fair warning, I don't necessarily agree with their rules, but it is what it is.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm#weapons

Section 1050.8Weapons and other dangerous instruments.

(a)
No weapon, dangerous instrument, or any other item intended for use as a weapon may be carried in or on any facility or conveyance. This provision does not apply to law enforcement personnel and persons to whom a license for such weapon has been duly issued and is in force (provided in the latter case the weapon is concealed from view). For the purposes hereof, a weapon or dangerous instrument shall include, but not be limited to, a firearm, switchblade knife, gravity knife, boxcutter, straight razor or razor blades that are not wrapped or enclosed in a protective covering, sword, shotgun or rifle.

(b)
No explosives or other highly combustible materials, or radioactive materials, may be carried on or in any facility or conveyance, except as authorized by the Authority.

(c)
Subject to other provisions of the law, this section shall not apply to a rifle or shotgun which is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case, box or other container which completely conceals the item from view and identification as a weapon.

tdoczi
11-21-2015, 22:34
All highly combustible items are banned from the subways. Interestingly it appears that there may be a bit more leeway with pocketknives that I had thought.

Again, I'm just posting this as fair warning, I don't necessarily agree with their rules, but it is what it is.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm#weapons

"highly combustible" is vague and i dunno if it applies to canister fuel. i mean, they allow lighters to be carried on the subway i imagine.