PDA

View Full Version : white gas stove

squeezebox
11-21-2015, 14:53
I'm considering a white gas stove for a couple different reasons, mostly cycling. Whisperlight looks good, shakes clean, can use a canister. I also know that Primus and Soto exist. What about gasoline, use premium? What about paint thinner? HEET? When Coleman fuel is unavailable.
Anything particular about safety?

egilbe
11-21-2015, 15:17
Less maintenance is required if you stick with White gas, but gasoline will work for a while. I have a Whisperlite Universal. You need to actually change parts to switch between white gas and canister gas. Heet is alcohol and paint thinner is more related to kerosene or diesel than gasoline and the fumes are pretty harmful.

OCDave
11-21-2015, 15:30
Canister stove are so convienien

OCDave
11-21-2015, 15:35
Canister stove are so convienien

Sorry, got ahead of myself.

Canister stoves are so convenient that unless you are winter camping you would be unlikely to need the white gas option. I have the MSR universal. It rarely gets used when I am solo. It only makes sense to carry when in a group of 4 or more; or winter camping when I need the white gas option.

Oslohiker
11-21-2015, 15:59
What about gasoline, use premium?

It will damage your liver.

squeezebox
11-21-2015, 16:13
It will damage your liver.

I've done some of that already.

yaduck9
11-21-2015, 16:14
What about gasoline, use premium?

MSR recommends using regular over premium ( if white gas is not available ).......................premium has more additives than regular, and its those pesky additives that is hard on the stove.

Venchka
11-21-2015, 16:23
Bike touring? Gas canisters all the way. Even Walmart stocks 8 ounce canisters, right next to quart bottles of Coleman white gas and kerosene.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

squeezebox
11-21-2015, 16:43
Sorry, got ahead of myself.

Canister stoves are so convenient that unless you are winter camping you would be unlikely to need the white gas option. I have the MSR universal. It rarely gets used when I am solo. It only makes sense to carry when in a group of 4 or more; or winter camping when I need the white gas option.

I'm thinking of a bicycle trip through rural America. or maybe the continental divide trail. I'm uncertain about canister availability in some of those areas.
But also the wt. penality of a white gas stove. For that wt. I can carry extra and/or bigger canisters. A lot of small towns have diners and fast food. I could always have a canister shipped if canisters can be shipped? In Europe in '81 I spent 3 months without any stove. Not sure I really need one. Granola and milk doesn't to bad for breakfast.
Just thinking options.
Just thinking about options.

squeezebox
11-21-2015, 16:49
Bike touring? Gas canisters all the way. Even Walmart stocks 8 ounce canisters, right next to quart bottles of Coleman white gas and kerosene.

Wayne

So it will be.
Thanks

Oslohiker
11-21-2015, 17:06
I've done some of that already.

A comment to that. Fuel bottles sometimes leak, and it is by contaminated (https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=contaminated&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiIld2utaLJAhViqHIKHRY7BGIQvwUIGigA) food that can happen. But that is a real risk. The fumes increase cancer risk. I would avoid it entirely.

squeezebox
11-21-2015, 18:12
A comment to that. Fuel bottles sometimes leak, and it is by contaminated (https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=contaminated&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiIld2utaLJAhViqHIKHRY7BGIQvwUIGigA) food that can happen. But that is a real risk. The fumes increase cancer risk. I would avoid it entirely.
Yes you are right.
But what about American Southern style BBQ? No way in hell we are going to give that up for Gefilte fish.

MuddyWaters
11-21-2015, 19:39
White gas is good for groups, or when need to cook large amounts or melt snow.
For everything else, inverted cannister in cold weather.

Venchka
11-21-2015, 19:42
I bought a Primus Himalayan MFS back in the dark ages for a trip by plane. I really like having fuel choices. Canisters are super convenient. White gas works all the time. According to charts I have seen, kerosene tops white gas for units of water boiled per unit of fuel consumed. Apparently kerosene is messy.
Multi-fuel stoves rock!

Wayne

bikebum1975
11-23-2015, 01:32
Yeah I know I may get heckled for this one but as a biker myself I like my old peak one. White gas is pretty much avalible at just about most hardware stores even rural areas I'd suspect. Being as you said you're not sure if you'll need a stove why not just use an alchy stove? Even denatured alcohol is at just about any hardware store. Trangias are a favorite of mine when riding these days.

squeezebox
11-23-2015, 11:56
Yeah I know I may get heckled for this one but as a biker myself I like my old peak one. White gas is pretty much avalible at just about most hardware stores even rural areas I'd suspect. Being as you said you're not sure if you'll need a stove why not just use an alchy stove? Even denatured alcohol is at just about any hardware store. Trangias are a favorite of mine when riding these days.

But I would really hate myself if I turned one of those Holyer than Thou alcohol stove guys.

bikebum1975
11-23-2015, 13:05
But I would really hate myself if I turned one of those Holyer than Thou alcohol stove guys.
Haha. Yeah that's doubtful it'll ever happen to me. Far as I'm concerned if it's cool and burns then it works for me. I honesty have 4 alcohol stoves yet I have a soft spot for white gas. One of my new favorites the old classic svea 123.
I do like the alchy stove for the pure simplicity of them. I hate them for how finicky they are in the slightest breeze.

OCDave
11-23-2015, 14:13
I'm thinking of a bicycle trip through rural America. or maybe the continental divide trail. I'm uncertain about canister availability in some of those areas.

Is there anywhere in the US where you can buy white gas but not isobutane/propane canisters? I have a dozen stoves; half of them Alcohol; 2 of them will burn white gas but, my go-to stove is my MSR Micro-rocket. It is small and efficient but, powerful enough to cook the foods I like.

rafe
11-23-2015, 14:58
We (well, most of us) were using Sveas, Whisperlites and Coleman Peak-1 at least 'till the mid 90s or so. And we all though it was good enough at the time.

Carry a Whisperlite with a 22 oz. bottle of white gas and you're good for several weeks of luxurious cooking, hot drinks, etc. There's also the Simmerlite that shaves a few oz. off the basic burner unit.

Lyle
11-23-2015, 15:03
Svea 123 is my "go-to" white gas stove. Been using the same one, with the original wick since 1978. Back in '80-81 I cooked every breakfast and dinner on it for an entire year, some lunches too. Worked year round without a hitch. Used a small closed cell foam pad underneath it in really cold weather for insulation. Sometimes in single digits and below you have to prime it twice, but it never failed to start.

Occasionally burned gasoline without incident or detriment. Back in the day you had to make sure to get unleaded, but all gas is unleaded now. Biggest problem was filling a Sigg Fuel Bottle out of a gasoline pump nozzle. :-)

OCDave
11-23-2015, 15:48
We (well, most of us) were using Sveas, Whisperlites and Coleman Peak-1 at least 'till the mid 90s or so. And we all though it was good enough at the time.

Yeah, I only replaced my PEAK 1 about three and a half years ago. Looking back, I am embarrassed that I hung on to it for so long. I also have a pair of thick wool, army surplus trousers that I used to use for winter camping. They still work but they weigh 4x more than the wool and synthetic layers I use today. Use your "Back-In-The-Day" equipment for the cool, kitchy factor on a week-end trip. If you are acquiring new gear for a serious trip, buy the best tools available for your needs.

squeezebox
11-23-2015, 19:38
On a bicycle I can resupply twice a day, not twice a week. So I can have bacon&eggs, steaks, real vegies. and the rest. So Luxury cooking may be in order. But as I said before, in Europe in 81 there was so much good food, no reason to bring a stove.
????

OCDave
11-23-2015, 22:04
On a bicycle I can resupply twice a day, not twice a week. So I can have bacon&eggs, steaks, real vegies. and the rest. So Luxury cooking may be in order. But as I said before, in Europe in 81 there was so much good food, no reason to bring a stove.
????

You are confusing me. Is your intent to ignore the weight penalty of the white gas stove or go without a stove what-so-ever? You contradict yourself. Are you looking for guidance or posting to add to your post count?

cmoulder
11-24-2015, 10:18
If I were going to "cook" I'd look for something with a broad burner and good flame control for simmering, such as a Primus Classic Trail, which Wal-Mart sells. Not the lightest canister stove by a very longshot, but cheap, durable and still much lighter than a Whisperlite and fuel bottle. Last time I was in Wal-Mart they also had available both Primus and Coleman canisters in 4- and 8-oz sizes.