PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Grand Finale For Your AT Hike [No Katahdin or Springer Mt]

GhostStory
11-21-2015, 21:41
Hello Fellow Hikers! I want to propose a question that has been on my mind as I begin to prepare for my 2017 AT Thru-Hike. My initial goal is to complete the venture within one calendar year, but as we all know, things such as injuries, personal crises, or mental change of plans may get in the way (resorting to Section Hiking).

So here is what I am asking those who have completed their AT Thru-Hikes: Provide a TOP THREE ranking of the alternative places along the AT that you would substitute as your Final End Point.

For example, aside from the traditional endpoints of Mt. Katahdin [NOBOs] or Springer Mt [SOBOs], would it be Clingman's Dome because it's the Highest? Grayson Highlands because of the ponies? Bear Mt Zoo because it's the lowest? Tell me where you would be the most fulfilled!

The reason why I ask is because if Katahdin or Springer isn't viable, I want to still get that emotional high! I know that my experience would be great anywhere,, but I want to go out with a bang so to speak.

Remember, pick your top THREE favorites!

Alan
ADK 46er {#5318}

Sandy of PA
11-21-2015, 22:00
Harpers Ferry, you can even get your picture taken at the ATC office.

GhostStory
11-21-2015, 22:07
That is a great option, although I heard from a couple of people who had flip-flopped that their hike there was very anticlimactic.

kayak karl
11-21-2015, 23:18
if you end at clingmans dome, the ponies or the zoo wouldn't you of already been there. that is anti-climatic in it self. ending where you have never been is the best way.

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 00:55
Why would I have been there if one of those sites is supposed to be the END of my trip? You both have to read what I said more closely!

tdoczi
11-22-2015, 07:23
Why would I have been there if one of those sites is supposed to be the END of my trip? You both have to read what I said more closely!

because, if you end on top of clingman's dome, you arent done yet because you still have to climb down the other side. if the "end" is really on top of the mountain that means you have already climbed up one side of it. get it?

this is true of any spot anywhere in the middle of the trail.

eblanche
11-22-2015, 07:58
I'm no AT thru hiker but I would maybe consider Canada as a slightly alternative end point by finishing the Long Trail north in VT.

Old Hillwalker
11-22-2015, 08:08
How about going long and ending it here? 32731

rickb
11-22-2015, 08:16
Mt Greylock, MA -- but with a twist.

After you return to the summit and tag it, remember why your friends and family didn't drive up to celebrate with you right there.

Because they will be waiting where the tandem hanglider you arranged is going to land.

Hopefully on private property so you can have a bottle of champagne waiting.

kayak karl
11-22-2015, 09:13
us read more closely ?? you will have been a foot from where you end or you are lying and did not hike the WHOLE trail. I typed slow, hope it helped :)

map man
11-22-2015, 09:39
I would choose an iconic AT town:

Choice 1: Harpers Ferry WV -- ATC is there as well as other stuff related to U.S. history.
Choice 2: Hot Springs NC -- Friendliest AT town that I have experienced so far.
Choice 3: Hanover NH -- I happen to be partial to college towns.

These would be my choices. If asked to put myself in your shoes, and since you live in New York, I might choose to finish on Bear Mountain, arguably the most noted AT locale in New York. Also, if emotion played no part and I was more concerned about practicality I would choose locations close to airports like Roanoke VA or the spot in PA closest to the Harrisburg airport (some point between Boiling Springs and Duncannon).

Kaptainkriz
11-22-2015, 09:49
End at Mount Washington, take the Cog Railway down. :)

4eyedbuzzard
11-22-2015, 09:50
... I want to go out with a bang so to speak.The Doyle. If it's going to be a somewhat anticlimactic finish regardless of where you end up, you might as well pick a place near the middle of the trail with cold beer and get $#!^faced celebrating.

Heliotrope
11-22-2015, 10:31
Continue from Baxter on the IAT and end here at lands end: Gaspe Peninsula, Quebechttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/22/89d97b6b2b85e6f09ca42e4ff33e5621.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grampie
11-22-2015, 10:53
If you plan to be a thru-hiker and have to abort your hike, for any reason, the place that you leave the trail will dwell in your mind for years to come. It will haunt you until you can get back to that spot and continue on your journey.

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 11:11
because, if you end on top of clingman's dome, you arent done yet because you still have to climb down the other side. if the "end" is really on top of the mountain that means you have already climbed up one side of it. get it?

this is true of any spot anywhere in the middle of the trail.

NOT if Clingman's Dome had already been climbed previously on a flip-flop! But I do see the point where you had to have climbed Clingman's Dome twice in order to qualify it.

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 11:13
I'm no AT thru hiker but I would maybe consider Canada as a slightly alternative end point by finishing the Long Trail north in VT.
Well, this question is for ThruHikers

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 11:15
If you plan to be a thru-hiker and have to abort your hike, for any reason, the place that you leave the trail will dwell in your mind for years to come. It will haunt you until you can get back to that spot and continue on your journey.
I wouldn't go THAT far, but I do agree that if you plan to finish it, not everyone has the luxury of completing it in one sitting. They may have to Section-Hike, hence the original question.

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 11:17
[QUOTE=Heliotrope;2020995]Continue from Baxter on the IAT and end here at lands end: Gaspe Peninsula, Quebechttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/22/89d97b6b2b85e6f09ca42e4ff33e5621.jpg

Ummm, nope! That isn't the topic of discussion here. Let's stick to the Appalachian Trail in general.

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 11:19
End at Mount Washington, take the Cog Railway down. :)

Ha, Ha.....excellent

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 11:24
us read more closely ?? you will have been a foot from where you end or you are lying and did not hike the WHOLE trail. I typed slow, hope it helped :)

Well, your slow typing is still infused with confusion. "you will have been a foot from where you end"?? Huh?
I don't get the lying part. You are not making any sense. If you end up anywhere finishing the AT mid-trail, it would be the only landmark climbed from BOTH sides. I wouldn't call that anticlimactic, unless you picked an Endpoint that was.

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 11:26
I would choose an iconic AT town:

Choice 1: Harpers Ferry WV -- ATC is there as well as other stuff related to U.S. history.
Choice 2: Hot Springs NC -- Friendliest AT town that I have experienced so far.
Choice 3: Hanover NH -- I happen to be partial to college towns.

These would be my choices. If asked to put myself in your shoes, and since you live in New York, I might choose to finish on Bear Mountain, arguably the most noted AT locale in New York. Also, if emotion played no part and I was more concerned about practicality I would choose locations close to airports like Roanoke VA or the spot in PA closest to the Harrisburg airport (some point between Boiling Springs and Duncannon).

That was eloquent Map man! The first person who actually answered the question and gave profound reasoning!

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 11:29
The Doyle. If it's going to be a somewhat anticlimactic finish regardless of where you end up, you might as well pick a place near the middle of the trail with cold beer and get $#!^faced celebrating.

Ha, Ha. I just won't bring Terry Coyle with me [he is banned from there].

tdoczi
11-22-2015, 12:02
Well, your slow typing is still infused with confusion. "you will have been a foot from where you end"?? Huh?
I don't get the lying part. You are not making any sense. If you end up anywhere finishing the AT mid-trail, it would be the only landmark climbed from BOTH sides. I wouldn't call that anticlimactic, unless you picked an Endpoint that was.

whether it is anticlimactic or not is a matter of opinion, but it is some place you have been before. you didnt seem to understand that at first, guess you got it now.

i havent given you a good suggestion because a)i agree if its someplace youve been before it hardly can be exciting and b) all the obvious places are, well, obvious. and the non obvious places arent anywhere i think anyone would suggest.

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 15:14
Well, the way you worded it led to the controversy. I don't agree with your A. Why wouldn't place you've been before be exciting? Are you telling me that of the 1000+ places you could be on the trail, there is not that one you would hike twice (at different vantages points mind you)? I find that very hard to believe a hiker would say. We are talking about the Appalachian Trail here!
Now to B. Well, what is your favorite three obvious places? I haven't you see suggest even one, and nothing is obvious to people who hadn't hiked the trail before. Don't hesitate just because you feel everyone knows the trail.

Lone Wolf
11-22-2015, 15:21
how about just focusing on walkin' the walk and not some grand finale'. most never make it.

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 15:40
how about just focusing on walkin' the walk and not some grand finale'. most never make it.

If you are just "walking the walk" and not planning your trip you won't make it that way either.

Lone Wolf
11-22-2015, 15:45
If you are just "walking the walk" and not planning your trip you won't make it that way either.

oh really. i managed 5 complete walks of the AT.

johnnybgood
11-22-2015, 16:22

Yep !! This year saw a thru hiker finish atop McAfee Knob. Don't be concerned about finishing till you make it through Virginia.

cmoulder
11-22-2015, 16:32
NOT if Clingman's Dome had already been climbed previously on a flip-flop! But I do see the point where you had to have climbed Clingman's Dome twice in order to qualify it.

There are several huge parking lots and loads of tourist buses at Clingman's Dome, so family could meet you and celebrate and you could drive off. If you're not too grungy you could probably even hitch a ride.

tdoczi
11-22-2015, 16:56
Well, the way you worded it led to the controversy. I don't agree with your A. Why wouldn't place you've been before be exciting? Are you telling me that of the 1000+ places you could be on the trail, there is not that one you would hike twice (at different vantages points mind you)? I find that very hard to believe a hiker would say. We are talking about the Appalachian Trail here!
Now to B. Well, what is your favorite three obvious places? I haven't you see suggest even one, and nothing is obvious to people who hadn't hiked the trail before. Don't hesitate just because you feel everyone knows the trail.

ok here is one- hike to the bear mountain zoo, southbound, while the zoo is closed. stop at the gate. on a future hike going northbound while the zoo is open, finish by hiking into and though the zoo.

i just think its a silly thing to try and plan. if you want a "big finish" plan to end at one of the termini.

Lauriep
11-22-2015, 17:35
Here's a link to a list of towns and communities that I'm sure would love to have you finish in their community:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/conservation/youth-community-engagement/a-t-community-program.

Harpers Ferry / ATC may be only place currently to have established rituals for those who finish there, but if you find a contact on the A.T. Community advisory board for that town, they might just to willing to help make your finale memorable. Having a place where friends or family can join you adds to the moment, for some.

Having a place to end where people waiting can see you take the last set of final steps in some good scenery would be really nice, and not just popping out of the woods onto a road or parking lot.

Maybe open areas that are accessible for others to meet you, like Max Patch, south of Hot Springs,NC or Calf Mountain/Bear Den Mountain in the southern section of Shenandoah National Park in Virginia? Or Cross Mountain TN 91 in northern Tennessee (northbound).

I do remember one section-hiker (started as thru-hiker) took her very final steps (northbound, from the south) down the long stairway in Harpers Ferry. That would be cool if you had people waiting for you (but might not work during summertime or busy weekends).

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 20:31
ok here is one- hike to the bear mountain zoo, southbound, while the zoo is closed. stop at the gate. on a future hike going northbound while the zoo is open, finish by hiking into and though the zoo.

i just think its a silly thing to try and plan. if you want a "big finish" plan to end at one of the termini.

Yes, that was in one of my examples. Also, if you think it's "silly" planning out section hikes when the southern and northernmost aren't current options, then I would hate for anyone take you seriously on any long hiking adventures. Planning is key for any success; you should know better then that. Then again, I have no idea if you are even a hiker.

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 20:32
There are several huge parking lots and loads of tourist buses at Clingman's Dome, so family could meet you and celebrate and you could drive off. If you're not too grungy you could probably even hitch a ride.

Ha, ha true.

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 20:33
oh really. i managed 5 complete walks of the AT.

Well, if you are trying to tell me you did that on your first one, I don't believe you.

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 20:34
Yep !! This year saw a thru hiker finish atop McAfee Knob. Don't be concerned about finishing till you make it through Virginia.

Like I said, there is always Section Hikes!

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 20:37
Here's a link to a list of towns and communities that I'm sure would love to have you finish in their community:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/conservation/youth-community-engagement/a-t-community-program.

Harpers Ferry / ATC may be only place currently to have established rituals for those who finish there, but if you find a contact on the A.T. Community advisory board for that town, they might just to willing to help make your finale memorable. Having a place where friends or family can join you adds to the moment, for some.

Having a place to end where people waiting can see you take the last set of final steps in some good scenery would be really nice, and not just popping out of the woods onto a road or parking lot.

Maybe open areas that are accessible for others to meet you, like Max Patch, south of Hot Springs,NC or Calf Mountain/Bear Den Mountain in the southern section of Shenandoah National Park in Virginia? Or Cross Mountain TN 91 in northern Tennessee (northbound).

I do remember one section-hiker (started as thru-hiker) took her very final steps (northbound, from the south) down the long stairway in Harpers Ferry. That would be cool if you had people waiting for you (but might not work during summertime or busy weekends).

Yes, Max Patch is interesting I hear! I may or may not have family around, but I'm sure you are trying to say to have it accessible for a good celebration.

rafe
11-22-2015, 20:45

I can relate. I spent subsequent years working my way back to that spot, rather than continuing from that spot.

It wasn't much of a spot, kind of anticlimactic. So yeah, good thread -- think about where you want your adventure to end. Have friends or loved ones there to share the moment.

Lone Wolf
11-22-2015, 20:45
Well, if you are trying to tell me you did that on your first one, I don't believe you.

i bet you're a type A person. a goal setter. OCD. itinerary type person. am i wrong?:cool:

rafe
11-22-2015, 20:50
if you end at clingmans dome, the ponies or the zoo wouldn't you of already been there. that is anti-climatic in it self. ending where you have never been is the best way.

Well then I was truly screwed from the start; I'd climbed Katahdin twice before ever attempting or even thinking about a thru hike.

BirdBrain
11-22-2015, 21:04

You are not going to win that debate. I am with you on planning. I do not get those that do not make detailed plans. However, there are many that just wing it... and make it.

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 21:06
i bet you're a type A person. a goal setter. OCD. itinerary type person. am i wrong?:cool:

Yes this is a good thread! Thanks Rafe! I am a Goal-setter definitely. I am not OCD though. I have a pretty stable, happy life.

tdoczi
11-22-2015, 21:08
Yes, that was in one of my examples. Also, if you think it's "silly" planning out section hikes when the southern and northernmost aren't current options, then I would hate for anyone take you seriously on any long hiking adventures. Planning is key for any success; you should know better then that. Then again, I have no idea if you are even a hiker.

rockfish gap (thats in VA about 150 miles from the northern border) to monson (thats in ME, 100 or so miles from the end of the trail) done. thanks.

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 21:08
You are not going to win that debate. I am with you on planning. I do not get those that do not make detailed plans. However, there are many that just wing it... and make it.

I hear you! And planning doesn't have to be tightly wrapped neither. Things may fall apart for instance if you fall in with a group you enjoy and diverge off the beaten path. But one must always have at least a skeleton outline in place so you can retrack yourself.

Lone Wolf
11-22-2015, 21:16
I do not get those that do not make detailed plans. However, there are many that just wing it... and make it.

and you never will "get" us. you're not a free spirit. you're bound by what society has dictated to you.:)

4eyedbuzzard
11-22-2015, 21:32
and you never will "get" us. you're not a free spirit. you're bound by what society has dictated to you.:)I would submit that they are not bound so much by society, but rather by themselves. And that everyone including "free spirits" develop their own unique behavior patterns. It tends to center around how much randomness a person is comfortable with.

Lone Wolf
11-22-2015, 21:36
I would submit that they are not bound so much by society, but rather by themselves. And that everyone including "free spirits" develop their own unique behavior patterns. It tends to center around how much randomness a person is comfortable with.

oh. i see. ok

rafe
11-22-2015, 21:40
and you never will "get" us. you're not a free spirit. you're bound by what society has dictated to you.:)

Why the hostility? Who's "us"? Un-named, unknowing, anonymous others.

What good can come from this remark? It's just mean. SMH.

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 21:46

I may not understand why you do the things you do, but that is presumptuous of you to ever claim I am not a free spirit. In fact, I may be more inclined to be one than you by the sounds of it.:p

GhostStory
11-22-2015, 21:50

I thought so too, but I I figured he would play himself out. ha, ha

Lone Wolf
11-22-2015, 21:53

you're too sensitive. it's just how i see it. it's the internet. face to face with the guy i'd probably have a different perspective. did you note the smiley by the way? you take stuff too serious

Lone Wolf
11-22-2015, 21:54
I may not understand why you do the things you do, but that is presumptuous of you to ever claim I am not a free spirit. In fact, I may be more inclined to be one than you by the sounds of it.:p

bless your heart

BirdBrain
11-22-2015, 21:54
I should not have replied. The thread was addressed to thru's. I am not a thru. The "free spirit" has a very impressive resumé. He is qualified to answer. I am not. Whereas, I agree with the OP's methods, I was trying to save him some grief of debating said methods. It is a fruitless debate. I have made that error many times. Once down that path, all that we hold in common is lost in a discussion over preferences that is not going to change anyone.

Lone Wolf
11-22-2015, 22:05
I should not have replied. The thread was addressed to thru's. I am not a thru. The "free spirit" has a very impressive resumé. He is qualified to answer. I am not. Whereas, I agree with the OP's methods, I was trying to save him some grief of debating said methods. It is a fruitless debate. I have made that error many times. Once down that path, all that we hold in common is lost in a discussion over preferences that is not going to change anyone.

oy vey:rolleyes: i'll bow out now so the experts can reply. sorry GhostStory. didn't mean to ruin your inquiry

rafe
11-22-2015, 22:18
Seems to me the thread's particularly relevant in light of the discussion of alternatives to a conventional thru-hike. And of course for section hikers.

So some section hikers try to emulate a traditional NOBO or SOBO thru hike by always traveling in one direction and always picking up where they left off. But of course, if you're a section hiker there's no real reason to be constrained by that. So... thinking about where you want to end up, is probably not a bad idea.

I'd advise a place where friends can be there to walk those last few miles with you, or be there when you arrive. I neglected to do that. Dumb. I like Laurie's ideas in this regard. There are lots of cool trail towns.

rafe
11-22-2015, 23:01
Mt Greylock, MA -- but with a twist.

After you return to the summit and tag it, remember why your friends and family didn't drive up to celebrate with you right there.

Because they will be waiting where the tandem hanglider you arranged is going to land.

Hopefully on private property so you can have a bottle of champagne waiting.

I was up there this summer watching that. Watched one flight from beginning to end. He didn't get the updrafts he was hoping for so it lasted maybe five, ten minutes.

JumpMaster Blaster
11-22-2015, 23:17
If I were in that situation, I'd finish my hike at Harper's Ferry beacuse that's where the ATC is. I'd like to finish where someone gave a damn about a hiker.

My second choice would be finishing up at Mountain Harbour B&B in RoanMountain, TN. I have established quote the rapport with them and it's my "second" trail home.

Third choice- I'd like to make a "triumphant" final walk down into Damascus. I could see Jeff, Lee & Paul (Skink), & Crazy Horse. Then I could coerce Lone Wolf into giving me a high five and a beer of my choosing. Or six.

Slo-go'en
11-22-2015, 23:35
A lot of the thru hikers I meet up here are tired and just want to get it over with. At that point I think many don't care where it ends.

If your doing a non-linear thru hike, where you start and finish will be greatly influenced by transportation logistics. Other then initial gear choices, about the only two things you can plan on is where and when to start.

GhostStory
11-23-2015, 02:49
If I were in that situation, I'd finish my hike at Harper's Ferry beacuse that's where the ATC is. I'd like to finish where someone gave a damn about a hiker.

My second choice would be finishing up at Mountain Harbour B&B in RoanMountain, TN. I have established quote the rapport with them and it's my "second" trail home.

Third choice- I'd like to make a "triumphant" final walk down into Damascus. I could see Jeff, Lee & Paul (Skink), & Crazy Horse. Then I could coerce Lone Wolf into giving me a high five and a beer of my choosing. Or six.

Excellent recitation! I learned a lot from this.

illabelle
11-23-2015, 06:50
Seems to me the thread's particularly relevant in light of the discussion of alternatives to a conventional thru-hike. And of course for section hikers. So some section hikers try to emulate a traditional NOBO or SOBO thru hike by always traveling in one direction and always picking up where they left off....

A few months ago I inquired of the esteemed WB community a similar question, where to end our section hike other than Katahdin. My criteria was that it had to be a place we hadn't been, and somehow "worthy" of a big finish. We settled on doing the Mahoosucs NOBO as our final section, with the infamous Mahoosuc Notch near the end, then up and over the Arm, and down to Grafton Notch. G Notch itself may not be particularly dramatic as a terminus, but we'll have plenty of drama along the way. Our last big climb will be up the Arm - that should be memorable. My point, since there may be no vehicular access to a "worthy" spot and the real terminus will have to be at a road crossing, think of it in terms of the last few days' journey. Is K an epic finish because of the view? or because you had to work so hard to get up there?

peakbagger
11-23-2015, 07:59
The hike out from Mahoosuc Arm is not without its pleasant diversions. The short spur over to the summit of Mt Speck leads to a great view up and down Grafton Notch. The spur over to the eyebrow is also worth the trip (folks with dogs need to be careful).

RainbowExpress
12-02-2015, 21:23
In 1980 I was a rare flip flop thru-hiker and finished at Bear Mt. Bridge. I just retired this summer and plan on starting my 2nd Thru-hike on March 18th next year also finishing at Bear Mt. Bridge, i.e. GA->NY<-ME I choose Bear Mt. Bridge both times because it has fantastic views of the Hudson Valley, close to a really cool historic restaurant (Bear Mt. Inn) to celebrate afterwords, is the lowest point of the AT and also the first mile of the AT was contructed there. Also it is only 50 miles from my home and I look forward to my family and friends hiking the last mile over the Bear Mt. Bridge followed by walking through the zoo and onwards to the Bear Mt. Inn to celebrate once again. If a Thru-hiker lives on the east coast and does not mind an alternate finish I would suggest to pick a scenic spot near their east coast home on the AT to finish with friends and family. Also there are many fine inns along the AT to celebrate the alternative finish. - Rainbow Express i

egilbe
12-02-2015, 22:14
A few months ago I inquired of the esteemed WB community a similar question, where to end our section hike other than Katahdin. My criteria was that it had to be a place we hadn't been, and somehow "worthy" of a big finish. We settled on doing the Mahoosucs NOBO as our final section, with the infamous Mahoosuc Notch near the end, then up and over the Arm, and down to Grafton Notch. G Notch itself may not be particularly dramatic as a terminus, but we'll have plenty of drama along the way. Our last big climb will be up the Arm - that should be memorable. My point, since there may be no vehicular access to a "worthy" spot and the real terminus will have to be at a road crossing, think of it in terms of the last few days' journey. Is K an epic finish because of the view? or because you had to work so hard to get up there?

Its hard to get to, and the view is so spectacular because there isnt a peak that high within 200 miles. Most of the peaks closer to Katahdin are a full 1000 feet lower. It kind of rises all alone. The Mahoosuc are a range where all the peaks are within 500 feet of each other. Grafton Notch is pretty. Its not a bad place to end a hike.