PDA

View Full Version : Medium Size Pack Quandary - SMD Flight 40, GG Pilgrim 36, ULA Catalyst etc.

donthaveoneyet
11-22-2015, 20:18
I'm trying to decide on another pack (my main pack is a Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 - which I love). This would be something I would use for longish (for me) day hikes (eg, 12-15 miles), and for solo overnights or maybe weekends. I carry a lot of junk when I day hike - folding chair (REI Flexlite), tripod, camera, sometimes a spotting scope, sometimes a folding table (don't laugh, I like to set up on peaks and hang out and take pictures and study the horizon and eat), phone, raingear, snacks, etc. I also like to use a hydration bladder when day hiking. Overnights, TT Rainbow and various bags, Thermarest Prolite (small), alky stoves etc. FBC cooking, always.

My main criteria are load transfer to hip, ability to carry bladder (and not just ability, but good for such use), ability to carry things like my tripod and spotting scope and chair, and sturdy quality. Weight of the pack isn't really an issue for this use, for me. A good strong hipbelt with solid connection to frame is more important. I also like pockets on hipbelt and if possible on straps, which is intriguing about the SMD Flight. I have had several UL packs, and they just didn't work for me (I'm old and need more structure in a pack). I've never seen any of these in person, so hoping for some feedback.

Thanks.

bigcranky
11-22-2015, 21:11
I'm not sure I'd look at any of those for a day pack given your criteria. I'd be looking for a daypack made for climbing or other heavier pursuits.

I use an Osprey Kestrel 36 (or maybe it's a 32?) which is a solid daypack with a good hipbelt and great weight transfer. It's made of durable materials and can carry my scope, tripod, and camera gear, along with the usual food, rain gear, etc. It's actually heavier than my long distance backpacking pack, but I am asking it to do more, and the overall weight is less anyway unless I pack a lot of lenses or whatever.

There are plenty of other choices. Something in the 2200ci range with a good hip belt and a framesheet and stay. Nothing "ultralight". :) This, for example (http://www.rei.com/product/864677/osprey-stratos-36-pack).

Venchka
11-22-2015, 21:13
The ULA Catalyst is the largest that ULA makes. Typo?
Since you have no defund load for this new pack, save your money. Use your Granite Gear Blaze.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Venchka
11-22-2015, 21:14
Should be "defined load".

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

JumpMaster Blaster
11-22-2015, 23:29
The ULA Catalyst is by no means a medium size pack. It's pushing 60+ liters. I use it for a winter pack and looking to downsize for the summer if that clarifies it any.

donthaveoneyet
11-23-2015, 02:41
Sorry, forget the Catalyst - either I read the specs wrong or wrote it down wrong. I want something in the 30-40L range. The GG Gorilla 40 might be another option.

The Blaze could work but it's a lot of pack for this use, and I don't keep a hydration system in it... plus I do want some hipbelt pockets (and prefer not to have add-ons).

saltysack
11-23-2015, 22:41
Ohm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donthaveoneyet
11-25-2015, 20:33
I'm not sure I'd look at any of those for a day pack given your criteria. I'd be looking for a daypack made for climbing or other heavier pursuits.

I use an Osprey Kestrel 36 (or maybe it's a 32?) which is a solid daypack with a good hipbelt and great weight transfer. It's made of durable materials and can carry my scope, tripod, and camera gear, along with the usual food, rain gear, etc. It's actually heavier than my long distance backpacking pack, but I am asking it to do more, and the overall weight is less anyway unless I pack a lot of lenses or whatever.

There are plenty of other choices. Something in the 2200ci range with a good hip belt and a framesheet and stay. Nothing "ultralight". :) This, for example (http://www.rei.com/product/864677/osprey-stratos-36-pack).

bigcranky - I just wanted to circle back and thank you for the comment about the Kestrel. I have tried for a while now to avoid the major brands in favor of small shops, but what works, works. I ordered a Kestrel 32, from amazon (it was $50 less than the outfitter prices), and it arrived today. That's a lot of pack for a 32L. I haven't had it out yet, but I packed it up, made some adjustments, and it feels great and holds quite a lot of stuff. I think it will be adequate for solo overnights or possibly even 3 days, using light gear, and also serve well for day hikes where I carry all kinds of ridiculous junk. So thanks.

BTW, I also meant to ask, what kind of tripod and scope do you carry? I have a Raveli tripod that's the lightest full size tripod I could find. And I presently have a lower end Bushnell scope, but I am asking Santa for an Elite. It's one of the real pleasures I take in backpacking, taking the time to enjoy an overlook.