PDA

View Full Version : Any shops in Mass.?

ToTheTop
11-22-2015, 22:53
I'm looking to step up into a much lighter and better quality pack. I'd really prefer to buy it locally as I'd liek to get professionally fitted and I like the advice of experienced staff. Does anyone know of a specialized shop in Mass.?

QHShowoman
11-23-2015, 10:55
Apart from the big name stores like REI & EMS, Hilton's Tent City is a good place to start in terms of experience.
Even if they don't have a pack you like, go get fitted and try some on, and then order one online.

cmoulder
11-23-2015, 21:04
I'm looking to step up into a much lighter and better quality pack. I'd really prefer to buy it locally as I'd liek to get professionally fitted and I like the advice of experienced staff. Does anyone know of a specialized shop in Mass.?

Based on no other information at all, before buying any pack I'd highly recommend figuring out exactly what you're going to be carrying in it. If you're transitioning your whole kit over to the dark side (UL, ultralight), for instance, that will influence enormously what pack you might end up with. If you're staying with a more trad kit of gear, you might be looking for the lightest pack that will carry heavier gear. A lot also depends upon where and in what seasons you will be using the pack.

There's a whole world of cottage manufacturers "out there" producing some truly fantastic gear, such as Zpacks, Hyeprlite Mtn Gear, Gossamer Gear, Mountain Laurel Designs (just to name a very few of the pack makers) and it would be wise to do some research on their offerings before committing to any pack. Even better would be to learn more about the current "state of the art" with regard to the current sleep, shelter, clothing and cooking/food "systems" to see what else you might want to update besides your pack.

Apologies in advance if you have already researched all this stuff and plan to base your pack decision accordingly.

Snowleopard
11-23-2015, 21:04
A nice shop with very experienced staff is New England Backpacker in Worcester, MA.
http://www.newenglandbackpacker.com/

redseal
11-23-2015, 21:27
A nice shop with very experienced staff is New England Backpacker in Worcester, MA.
http://www.newenglandbackpacker.com/

+1 for this. However, the selection tends to be small like most non-big-box stores. If looking for a larger selection, you will need to check out REI or EMS.