PDA

View Full Version : Down preference

Firecracker/GA
11-23-2015, 20:17
I'm currently in the market for a down jacket and the two I'm between the mountain hardware ghost whisperer jacket and outdoor researches filament jacket. Both are 800 fill and weights are 68g and 50g respectively. Pros and cons for either?

PatmanTN
11-23-2015, 20:41
No personal knowledge, but the MH jacket was reviewed on Trailspace by a person who's opinion I respect:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/ghost-whisperer-hooded-down-jacket/

Disclaimer: I'm a Review Core / gear tester for Trailspace.

Dogwood
11-24-2015, 00:37
IMHO, there are better values in a down jacket while getting all or much of the MH Ghost Whispers specs. It deservedly garners the hit that it has become for MH though IF you have the $$$.

Minos
11-24-2015, 01:31
IMHO, there are better values in a down jacket while getting all or much of the MH Ghost Whispers specs. It deservedly garners the hit that it has become for MH though IF you have the $$$.

Possibly.... such as?

Dogwood
11-24-2015, 14:55
PLENTY OODLES of down jacket reviews and comparisons on line. The Ghost Whisperer strikes a great balance of specs BUT depending on what one prioritizes - uses, versatility, $$$, durability, wt, compactness, features, etc etc etc, - which YOU are not communicating, YES I absolutely stand by my opinion there COULD be better values, again depending on what one values, in the down jacket market. And, what one can obtain these down jackets for dollar cost wise is yet another variable that factors into "value."

rickb
11-24-2015, 18:26
I'm currently in the market for a down jacket and the two I'm between the mountain hardware ghost whisperer jacket and outdoor researches filament jacket. Both are 800 fill and weights are 68g and 50g respectively. Pros and cons for either?

All else equal Outdoor Research is listed here:

http://responsibledown.org/find-responsible-down-standard/wpbdp_category/outdoor/

DavidNH
11-25-2015, 10:08
what temperature rating are you looking for? summer bag with +40 rating? winter bag with -10 rating?

MuddyWaters
11-25-2015, 10:19
Not for really cold conditions, these are down sweaters really. What is temp range intended and use?

cmoulder
11-26-2015, 07:58
Possibly.... such as?

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=2001&p_id=2301214&gen_cd=1

Feral Bill
11-26-2015, 13:33
Down sweaters are silly. The weight of fabric for the amount of down, thus warmth, is too high. For a bit more weight get a jacket with some decent loft, or a fleece with better durability, greater versatility, and lower cost.

Hosh
11-29-2015, 15:27
There is a heavy "overhead weight" for fabric versus down weight on down sweater. My experience is a mid weight base layer, typically merino wool, a down puffy and 2ply parka with take me to the mid teens, while skiing, lower with little to no wind. A higher fill weight down jacket is too bulky to fit under a wind proof outer layer. The down is not very effective as a wind break since drafts will penetrate it.

A down sweater also serves as a good way to augment a sleeping bag/quilt and it provides little package from a volume standpoint.

I live and hike in a more arid climate, so down is the perfect choice. Fleece is another option, but ounce for ounce down is a better insulator and more compact.

Hosh
11-29-2015, 15:32
BTW, I got a Patagucci 800 fill on SAC for 50% off. It's a weird blue color, but really warm for the weight. Still $100 but it gets lots of use.

I've also seen MH Ghost Whispers at similar discount.

MuddyWaters
11-29-2015, 15:50
Down sweaters are silly. The weight of fabric for the amount of down, thus warmth, is too high. For a bit more weight get a jacket with some decent loft, or a fleece with better durability, greater versatility, and lower cost.

I wouldnt say they are silly. They are perfect for daytime temps that are in 30s. I use my exlight (5.9 oz total, 1.9 oz down) down to about freezing temps fine in daytime when stopped and in camp.

When daytime temps stay below freezing and overnight lows (early morning) go to low teens or single digits, its time for 4-5oz down minimum in a jacket. The more the better really.