PDA

View Full Version : cooper vs fly creek

adam12
11-24-2015, 16:57
I am having trouble deciding which tent to go with. The Cooper 2 or the Fly Creek 2. I keep going back and forth. I have never had trouble in the past with a front loader but getting in the side would be easier as I am getting older. I hike with a dog so that is why I'm going with the 2 versus the 1. Any suggestions from other that have used these tents?:-?

eblanche
11-24-2015, 17:35
Copper SPur ul2 has two doors. Could be useful and there is no rain that will fall into the living area compared to the fly creek. Copper spur ul2 also have more headroom and slightly more vestibule space (two compared to one). Worth 3/4lb? That's a good question...I would say so.

Venchka
11-24-2015, 17:42
2 doors. Definitely 2 doors. 2 doors on the long side? Priceless! A no brainer.

Wayne

TNhiker
11-24-2015, 18:06
ive had both a copper spur and a fly creek ul 2...

while i much, much preferred the copper spur, i sold it as it was brand new and i needed the money....

copper spur for me was much better with the double doors, along with the space inside...........

i find that the fly creek 2 is more like just enough room for me.........id hate to have another person in there unless she was really good looking....

and with the front entry, the fly creek makes getting in and out a bit tougher...

i was using a hubba hubba before (still have it and love it) but went with a fly creek to save some weight...

and while it does that, i really dont like it that much......

Just Bill
11-24-2015, 18:30
CS UL 2 as well. (me and 5 year old)
If you're going to buy a tent, buy a tent... free standing, vestibules, double side entry doors.
If you're stuck on the weight... look to a tarp or tarp tent style shelter and pass on the Fly creek.

cmoulder
11-24-2015, 18:44
LOL, I like that "front loader" description.

Well I have a Zpacks duplex for my dog and me and will never go back to a front loader. Ingress/egress is so much easier and, when the weather's lousy, cooking (okay, boiling water) in the vestibule is a lot easier when it's beside you instead of in front of you as you're proned out.

Rmcpeak
11-24-2015, 18:50
Used a NF tadpole for 20 years. Now have side entry tents. Way better!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

squeezebox
11-24-2015, 19:02
Copper Spur is free standing. Fly Creek isn't quite there.

Traveler
11-25-2015, 07:28
For what its worth, the two side entry and free standing capabilities of the CS2 made it my choice.

adam12
11-25-2015, 08:30
Thank you all for the feedback. Sounds like the CS2 is going to be the winner.

rickb
11-25-2015, 09:07
Thank you all for the feedback. Sounds like the CS2 is going to be the winner.

Well, now that the decision is made...

Have you considered the Mountain Glow version?

I went that way with the CS3 this spring.

My reason had nothing to do with the lights (gimmicky, IMO) but rather for the color. The mountain glow is mostly grey, and far more steathy.

The string of LEDs that is sewn into the tent looks to weigh almost nothing (really) and the switch/battery pack unplugs and can be left at home to save an oz or so.

The extra $50 hurt like hell, but since those things are so ungodly expensive it couldn't hurt anymore paying that bill.

squeezebox
11-25-2015, 09:41
The top spreaderbar makes a lot more interior space. I think the mountain glow lights are 3-4 oz . I hang a 1oz. flashlight in mine.

colorado_rob
11-25-2015, 09:46
couple of thoughts, and I've used both tents extensively: One, why on earth would one need two doors when using a tent solo? sure, for two people, having two doors is awesome. But your original post implies this tent is for you. I seriously doubt your pooch cares if there is a second door.

The big advantage of the Fly creek is that it is significantly lighter, 13 ounces lighter going by online specs. The disadvantage for some is of course the end entry vs. the side entry. I go into and get out of my tent pretty much one time per day. I really could care less if it is slightly harder to enter or exit the tent that one time per day, that 10-20 seconds per day that I'm entering or exiting the tent. and I'm older than you (the OP) by about a decade.

So it is a "no brainer" to me to prefer the fly creek over the copper spur for myself. when my wife is with me (or any other companion) we definitely prefer the copper spur.

That all being said, and having used my fly Creek for about 1000 miles of the AT (and many, many other trails), I did finally spring for a truly UL tent, the Zpacks Hexamid, which saved almost another 1.5 pounds from the fly creek (10 ounces total weight including screen, beak and guy lines).

rickb
11-25-2015, 10:03
The top spreaderbar makes a lot more interior space. I think the mountain glow lights are 3-4 oz . I hang a 1oz. flashlight in mine.

Not even close to being that heavy.

The LEDs that are sewn into a fold of fabric are about as thick as a toothpick, and the wire could not be any thinner. The total weight by spec is eith 1 or 2 oz, depending where you look (trail wt vs pack weight) and it is obvious that the majority of that is the plastic housing that holds the batteries and serves as a switch.

I see them as a gimmick -- fun to try once -- but the color tent that comes with them was the draw and if you leave the controller at home, there is virtually no weight difference (if a few grams matter, the string could easily pulled out).

Just a thought.

Just Bill
11-25-2015, 10:51
I picked up the Glow version-
A-it was on sale $365 I think, so that was a big factor.
B- this tent is intended for me and the boy, or my wife and our daughter.

As Rick mentioned, bit gimmicky for an adult but the weight difference is less than a typical flashlight and serves well as a nightlight, when getting everyone settled in bed without your son shining his light in your face, and it works well to play cards or other games in the tent when you head into the tent earlier than you might otherwise.

The bulk of the weight is the battery pack, which has a usb so if you were clever and know more than I about such things you could likely use it to power other devices via adapters and leave chargers at home or even power one of the headlamps that uses a remote battery when working around camp.

For grown folks- the lights are a bit dim for real use and you probably won't leave your headlamp at home so they are of little use and I'd skip the glow version. Colors are for crayons, but if that's your thing- it is easy to leave the battery pack at home and stripping the lights looks easy enough.

Also- as others mentioned... there are plenty of other options.
The primary draw to this tent is that it is a true freestanding tent. Yes the vestibules could use a stake out, but being side entry fly's they function well enough for a pack or shoe cover without stakes. Being able to throw down anywhere quickly with no fuss (especially when kids are around) is the draw. Unlike many "semi-freestanding" tents, this is a rare tent these days that needs no stakes to get the full footprint and function. Scrounge two sticks and you can leave all the stakes at home to get full vestibule function.

The $450 list price is a big investment, though they can be found for $100 less. If you don't care for a full freestanding tent, and can't find a sale, for another hundred bucks or less you could choose from dozens of CF shelters and save weight if that's your goal. If you carry trekking poles already that's another bonus worth considering.

Rex Clifton
11-25-2015, 17:07
I faced the same dilema and went with the Fly Creek UL2. Lighter than the Copper Spur but not as spacious, and having the side doors is a big plus on the CS. In the end, opted for the lighter weight option. Would do again, I really like the Fly Creek.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

nsherry61
11-25-2015, 21:07
How about save another 5 oz over the Fly Creek UL2 and go with the new Fly Creek Platinum (https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreek2Platinum) at just under 2 lbs?

colorado_rob
11-26-2015, 09:51
How about save another 5 oz over the Fly Creek UL2 and go with the new Fly Creek Platinum (https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreek2Platinum) at just under 2 lbs?turns out the FC platinum is only about 2.5 ounces lighter, despite the specs claimed (I briefly owned both; I have a pro deal with BA). Plus the platinum has a serious flaw: the inner side-wall tie-outs don't exist on the platinum like they do on the "regular" model. The lack of these create a bit of a sag of the inner mesh walls on the platinum. Having these on the regular model creates significantly more volume in the tent.

I'm not saying the platinum is not a good tent, just that given both, I'd personally carry the regular model and eat the couple/few extra ounces.