PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaineering AlpinLite 20* down bag

K-Man
12-08-2005, 00:04
Picked mine up today...Going to sleep in it on the porch tonight. Can't wait to try it out!! It's 25* right now (supposedly feels like 15* according to weather.com) so tonight will be a perfect test. :jumpI will let ya'll know how my nights sleep went tomorrow.

K-Man
12-08-2005, 10:25
Well last night got down to about 15 degrees, perfect to test the limits of the new bag. I zipped into the bag wearing only boxers and a t shirt. (no socks or hat) I slept cowboy on the concrete porch with my ground cloth on the bottom, then my full length Z-lite, then the new bag. The only cold I felt initially was from the ground, but this is due to the lack of insulation from the pad. The rest of me was plenty warm and after a while the z-lite warmed up and I didn't feel cold from below anymore. Around 4 in the morning though my feet got a bit of a chill if I pressed them onto the sides of the bag. Western Mountaineering was right on the money with their 20* rating. If I wore an extra layer of clothing (hat, thermals, and socks) I bet I would be comfy down around 0*. I weighed the bag this morning when I got to work and it weighs 2 lbs 0.4 oz with the stuff sack. AlpinLite...Money well spent!!

DrewNC2005
12-09-2005, 09:46
I've been trying to decide between a Versalite and an Alpinlite. What "size" are you and how did the 64'' girth fit you? Any issues to speak of with the fit of the Alpinlite?

K-Man
12-09-2005, 12:21
Well the Versalite is a 10* where as the Alpinlite is a 20*. Did you mean you are trying to decide between the Alpinlite and the Ultralite? Both are 20* bags but the Alpinlite is cut to 64" where the Ultralite is cut to 59". This was the decision I had to make. I am 5' 10" 190 lb and my shoulder girth is 50" just to give you a ballpark of my build. When I zipped into the Ultralite I felt cramped. I really couldn't move my upper arms at all in that bag. When I zippered into the Alpinlite it was a no brainer that that bag was for me. I had enough room to not feel cramped. I mean I could have gone with the Ultralite, but I was worried that if I tried to spread out my arms too much I would create cold spots by compressing the down. The night out in 15* weather proved that I made the right choice. Did I answer your question?

DrewNC2005
12-09-2005, 15:09
yeah, I meant the Versalite. I figured for just a few more bucks at roughly the same weight, why not go for a little extra warmth? But yeah, your info on the fit of the Alpinlite is what I was looking for. I'm 6'0'' 180 lbs. and the Ultralite fir me about the same way - like a straight jacket. So I was looking for something with a little more shoulder room. I doubt I could sleep soundly in the Ultralite.

gravityman
12-09-2005, 19:24
My wife and I started March 1 with superversalite bags and were very happy we had them. A few people with the Ultralight weren't so happy, as it was not warm enough this spring. I'd go with the versalite over the alpinlite if you are going to push the temp rate at all.

Gravity

phatfish
12-10-2005, 02:32
I have a wm versalite (62in shoulder) and a mountainsmith wisp (64in shoulder). I'm 5 10, 175lbs. The fit for the versalite seems just right. Still plenty of room for some layers. In fact I usually get cold in my wisp if I don't ware some layers. I think part of the reason is the larger amount of air I have to re-heat when some bellow action happens.

Speaking of bellow action... Don't expect to lose much heat with the versalite! That thing seals up tight!

DrewNC2005
12-11-2005, 10:04
you're not wanting to sell the versalite are you? ;)

JoeHiker
12-12-2005, 13:30
I have the Alpinlite and I bought it for the same reason - the wider cut. I love it. I'm 6' 0" and weigh anywhere from 160 to 165. I took it up in Vermont this past October and it performed like a champ.

Clark Fork
12-13-2005, 01:45
Well the Versalite is a 10* where as the Alpinlite is a 20*. Did you mean you are trying to decide between the Alpinlite and the Ultralite? Both are 20* bags but the Alpinlite is cut to 64" where the Ultralite is cut to 59". This was the decision I had to make. I am 5' 10" 190 lb and my shoulder girth is 50" just to give you a ballpark of my build. When I zipped into the Ultralite I felt cramped. I really couldn't move my upper arms at all in that bag. When I zippered into the Alpinlite it was a no brainer that that bag was for me. I had enough room to not feel cramped. I mean I could have gone with the Ultralite, but I was worried that if I tried to spread out my arms too much I would create cold spots by compressing the down. The night out in 15* weather proved that I made the right choice. Did I answer your question?

Thanks for the info. You helped my make up my mind.

This seems to be the best price at $325.00 if anyone is looking to order:

http://www.buytheworld.com/cat0-52-62-92.html

Regards,

Clark Fork

Sly
12-13-2005, 02:19
Thanks for the info. You helped my make up my mind.

This seems to be the best price at $325.00 if anyone is looking to order:

http://www.buytheworld.com/cat0-52-62-92.html

Regards,

Clark Fork

Where's Santa when I need him? As my mom always used to always say, "Close your eyes, what do you see?" :(

kmackison
12-14-2005, 14:26
I saw you just got an AlpinLite. I am going to buy my boyfriend a WM AlpinLite for Christmas and don't know which size to get. He's a shade over 6 ft. and don't know if I should get the regular or long. Which one did you get, and how'd it work for you. Also, I have the WM Ultralite and wonder if you think I could attach it to the Alpinlite to makeshift a single bag. Any Ideas:)

kmackison
12-14-2005, 14:36
Did you get the regular or long Alpin Lite?

K-Man
12-14-2005, 16:54
Did you get the regular or long Alpin Lite?

I fit perfectly in the regular. If he is over 6 ft I would def go for the long. As far as zipping two bags together I believe WM's website has info about this. I'm single so I didn't pay too much attention to that feature.

K-Man
12-14-2005, 16:57
I am going to buy my boyfriend a WM AlpinLite for Christmas

P.S. You are one awesome girlfriend if you are buying him a WM bag!!!! Not that you're not awesome if you didn't get him one, but you know what I mean.

rickb
12-14-2005, 17:32
Edit: Posted in wrong thread.