PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear Latitude Vapor and Nimbus Latitude

Teatime
12-08-2005, 02:15
Does anyone have experience with the Latitude Vapor or Nimbus Latitude? I like the panel loading idea but have never used one on a hike.:-?

Beachwalker
12-08-2005, 14:12
I have the Lattitude Vapor, and like it. I am now a complete convert to panel loading, no more digging in my pack. There is an internal compression system which holds the items inside together, so you can open the panel and the contents don't fall out. For me it was a good decision, I needed more room than the popular Vapor Trail, and didn't like the idea of the extension collar stacked up to the roof. This pack has the same suspension, and the weight is acceptable to me.

SloHiker
12-08-2005, 14:35
I just received mine yesterday, and I probably won't get a chance to test drive it until after Christmas. The center-zip opening is quite different from conventional panel loading designs. It also has an unusual feature called a "Hidden Lid" that I was not aware of when I ordered it....it's a quick detachable "pocket" with a foam bottom. It rest at the top of the pack (on the inside) and can be quickly removed .....much like an internal top lid. For what it's worth, I bought mine from Backcountry Gear Ltd for $135 w/free shipping. Since I wasn't sure I'd keep it after close examination, I was reluctant to purchase from sources without a return policy. There's a vendor on Ebay selling for $99 with the "BUY IT NOW" option, which is a good price if you're sure of your purchase. It feels OK loaded, so I can't wait to give it a try soon.

Teatime
12-09-2005, 00:07
Thanks gents, appreciate the feedback.

Teatime
12-09-2005, 00:11
My only concern is the suspension on the Lat. Vapor. I have a short torso but have about a 42" chest and 35" waist. Short and stocky, as they say. I don't know if the short torso model will fit me in the waist and shoulder/chest.
The Nimubs Latitude has an adjustable suspension so no worries with it.

dstenberg1
12-14-2005, 10:02
I love this pack! I carried around 30 pounds on a thruhike of the wonderland trail and it felt so comfortable. I highly recommend the vertical zip pockets that allow you to get at your gear during breaks. The zips really help keep everything better organized and allow you not to have to unload everything out of the pack to get to an item at the bottom If you can live with the extra 1.5 lbs of weight over the Vapor Trail the beefier supension truly is wonderful!

The only thing that I think is a problem may be the lack of outside storage. The outside pockets are not very large and are difficult to use. There is a compression strap that runs over the outside of the pockets and makes getting anything in or out difficult. For me it is impossible to have access to anything in the pockets while I am hiking. Not that I really needed it unless I am trying to get a drink out of my waterbottle. I hope this is helpful.

I am selling a Nimbus Latitude w/ the Granite Gear cloud rain cover for $100 on the gear forum on this site. The buyer pays the shipping. ****The review of this pack is in no way based of my desire to sell the pack!*** I am currently using a Golite Gust and love it. If you want to go ultralight, but still want to have a lot of volume for gear with a decent load transfering system check out the Gust!

Teatime
12-15-2005, 02:31
Just ordered the Lat. Vapor on Monday from Backcountrygear for $135. Since I have been using a Gregory Forester, which doesn't have much outside storage either, I don't think it will be a problem for me. Thanks for the info. Good luck on selling your Nimbus Latitude.
't
I love this pack! I carried around 30 pounds on a thruhike of the wonderland trail and it felt so comfortable. I highly recommend the vertical zip pockets that allow you to get at your gear during breaks. The zips really help keep everything better organized and allow you not to have to unload everything out of the pack to get to an item at the bottom If you can live with the extra 1.5 lbs of weight over the Vapor Trail the beefier supension truly is wonderful!

The only thing that I think is a problem may be the lack of outside storage. The outside pockets are not very large and are difficult to use. There is a compression strap that runs over the outside of the pockets and makes getting anything in or out difficult. For me it is impossible to have access to anything in the pockets while I am hiking. Not that I really needed it unless I am trying to get a drink out of my waterbottle. I hope this is helpful.

I am selling a Nimbus Latitude w/ the Granite Gear cloud rain cover for $100 on the gear forum on this site. The buyer pays the shipping. ****The review of this pack is in no way based of my desire to sell the pack!*** I am currently using a Golite Gust and love it. If you want to go ultralight, but still want to have a lot of volume for gear with a decent load transfering system check out the Gust!

PartnerShip
12-18-2005, 20:20
I ordered the Granite Gear Virga from Harpers Ferry store on ebay and after I got it realized I dont think it will do with the no frame so I got a Vapor coming and hope it works for me as this is my first real hike and I read good reviews as the #1 thru hiker pack for at least 40% of AT hikers

Smile
12-20-2005, 02:12
On the Vapor, the part that is touching your back..is that completely soft or is there some sort of a support panel in there? Considering going with a lighter pack.

New Bee
01-04-2006, 02:13
Just ordered the Lat. Vapor on Monday from Backcountrygear for $135. Since I have been using a Gregory Forester, which doesn't have much outside storage either, I don't think it will be a problem for me. Thanks for the info. Good luck on selling your Nimbus Latitude.
't

How is the Lat. Vapor working for you? I just ordered from backcountrygear as well...a little Christmas present for myself.
-Leo

Teatime
01-04-2006, 07:20
Ordered the wrong size and had to send back. Hopefully, should have replacement by sometime next week.
How is the Lat. Vapor working for you? I just ordered from backcountrygear as well...a little Christmas present for myself.
-Leo

Philip Jones
01-10-2006, 17:43
I used a Nimbus Latitude this summer, going from Springer to Sinking Creek Valley over two months. I carried about 30 lb, give or take 5 depending on food, and it worked very well for me. The panel loading feature is great, and I'd find it hard to give that up if I ever went to another pack. The way I packed it was to lay it on its side, put the large items in first, fill up the remaining small spaces with ziplocs containing my food, and then zip it most of the way up and finish packing from the top.

For me, the lack of zippered pockets was a plus -- it made it easier to keep track of things. The awkward placement of the compression straps around the side was only a minor issue. I kept a 2L bladder in one and a 1L bottle in the other. (I put the compression strap through the bladder's hanging loop to keep it in place.) The only time I had to deal with the side pockets was when the bladder was empty. It's awkward but possible to pull a Nalgene out and replace it without removing the pack. I got in the habit of putting a Snickers next to the water bottle in the side pocket so it was easy to reach.

As others have observed, the zippers appear to be indestructible, and the stretchy material that the side panel is made of reduces strain on the zippers. It also makes it easier to close the pack. The suspension and the compression straps were good and I thought the amount of padding was just right. The shoulder straps tend to trap odor, but it's not that big of a deal. The detachable inner pocket seemed extraneous. I left it at home and never missed it. The only mildly annoying thing was that the flaps that cover the adjustment grommets tended to poke me in the back when I first put on the pack. Loosening the load lifters and slowly tightening them basically solves the problem. As the trip progressed and I got more used to the pack, this stopped happening for the most part. After 660 miles the pack is still in great shape.

I was glad I followed the advice about waiting to buy a pack until you have the rest of your gear together. I took all my gear and five days of food to the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry and tried both the Vapor Trail and Nimbus Latitude. For me, the better suspension and extra volume of the Nimbus Latitude created a clear advantage over the Vapor Trail.

Phil

New Bee
02-14-2006, 00:29
Took the Lat. Vapor out this past week! This is one heck of a bag. I love it. The internal compression straps held everything, and I definitely over stuffed it and it held together nicely. It was so very comfortable. The internal lid I was not sure of at first, but now I think it's an asset. There's space between the bag and the padding for the suspension system that I was able to stuff a tarp into. I love the panel loading system! So much better than taking everything out to get to one little item.

Teatime
02-14-2006, 01:59
I did finally get my Lat. Vapor from Backcountry Gear. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but am encouraged by your post, New Bee. I'm planning on taking my son out for a few days on the trail during his Spring Break, which is at the end of March, and think that will be a good trial for my new pack.

scope
04-20-2006, 22:43
Just wondering, for those who now own a Granite Gear pack, the Latitude or whatever; what do you think now of the pockets?

I think they are totally more effective than anything out there. I can't reach back there on the trail anyway, and I suppose if I could, I might think otherwise. What other pack pocket is equally as effective at having nothing in it (for minimalists), as it is for carrying two nalgene bottles? Then you have the extra security of having the compression strap run over it to secure items while on the trail.

I almost didn't look at this pack because of pocket concerns, and it amazes me now that some owner reviews still list the side pockets as a negative issue.

swede
04-24-2006, 15:30
Just wondering, for those who now own a Granite Gear pack, the Latitude or whatever; what do you think now of the pockets?

I think they are totally more effective than anything out there. I can't reach back there on the trail anyway, and I suppose if I could, I might think otherwise. What other pack pocket is equally as effective at having nothing in it (for minimalists), as it is for carrying two nalgene bottles? Then you have the extra security of having the compression strap run over it to secure items while on the trail.

I almost didn't look at this pack because of pocket concerns, and it amazes me now that some owner reviews still list the side pockets as a negative issue.

I have a Lat Vapor, and bought it for the panel access. The side pockets are a trouble for me since the compression straps are on the outside of the pocket as you know. I'm thinking of slitting the pocket and threading the straps under the pockets. I use a dromedary for water, but I still like easy access to the "essentials" in the pockets.

scope
04-25-2006, 10:16
I can't help but think this view is somewhat related to what we think pockets are supposed to be, as opposed to how the pockets are designed with the pack. Do you reach back there on the trail for your bottle of water or other items? That is the only way I see the straps as an issue and I can't perform that move with any degree of ease that wouldn't make it worthwhile to remove the pack. Certainly if you're concerned with compression, perhaps you may not be able to compress as much as you otherwise would with stuff stored in the pockets. In that case, the slit idea is probably a good one. Frankly, I don't see compression in the bottom of this pack as an issue. So, I still have to wonder what is so bad about the straps?

swede
04-25-2006, 17:20
I can't help but think this view is somewhat related to what we think pockets are supposed to be, as opposed to how the pockets are designed with the pack. Do you reach back there on the trail for your bottle of water or other items? That is the only way I see the straps as an issue and I can't perform that move with any degree of ease that wouldn't make it worthwhile to remove the pack. Certainly if you're concerned with compression, perhaps you may not be able to compress as much as you otherwise would with stuff stored in the pockets. In that case, the slit idea is probably a good one. Frankly, I don't see compression in the bottom of this pack as an issue. So, I still have to wonder what is so bad about the straps?

The straps over the pockets are my only complaint. It does seem counter to the easy access that the zipper panel offers. If the designers meant to place them over the pockets in an effort to restrict usage and therefore lower weight, they win. An obvious design flaw that I'll work around for a long time since I'm very pleased otherwise.

Beachwalker
04-26-2006, 13:58
Sorry, I don't see the straps as a design flaw, and I own a Latitude Vapor. I see the flaps as being specifically designed that way, and for a purpose. I can't "reach around" (insert "reach around joke of your choice here) and grab anything out of the pockets while wearing the pack anyways, so what's the point. It holds whatever is in there very well, nothing falls out. Compression issue, perhaps, but there are internal compression straps that take up most of the load anyway. In my opinion, people just aren't used to it, find it somewhat wierd/inconvenient, and therefore think something is wrong. Truse me, they know that the straps are an issue to some people, yet they continue to make them. There must be something to it...

-- BW

Beachwalker
04-26-2006, 14:01
Sorry, I don't see the straps as a design flaw, and I own a Latitude Vapor. I see the STRAPS as being specifically designed that way, and for a purpose. I can't "reach around" (insert "reach around joke of your choice here) and grab anything out of the pockets while wearing the pack anyways, so what's the point. It holds whatever is in there very well, nothing falls out. Compression issue, perhaps, but there are internal compression straps that take up most of the load anyway. In my opinion, people just aren't used to it, find it somewhat wierd/inconvenient, and therefore think something is wrong. Truse me, they know that the straps are an issue to some people, yet they continue to make them. There must be something to it...

-- BW

Did I say FLAPS, make that STRAPS... jeezis... can't edit my own posts...

scope
04-26-2006, 19:18
"In my opinion, people just aren't used to it, find it somewhat wierd/inconvenient, and therefore think something is wrong."

Thanks BW for confirming that I'm either not totally crazy or at least not the only one that is.

"An obvious design flaw"

swede - BW makes a good point that this pack, and other GG packs like it have been made with virtually the same design for a while now. They are very popular and you and I can attest to why they are.

My point is not to harass you and others that dislike the side pockets, but to bring out a misconception that almost prevented me from considering this and other GG packs for purchase. I had the same misconception for a long time even though I knew I couldn't reach back there for a water bottle, etc. anyway.

I hope some others will chime in so that the issue can be better understood.

swede
04-26-2006, 21:03
Alright, the truth. After about three doses, it gets harder to put my flask back in the left pocket, and pull my 45 outta my right:D

scope
04-27-2006, 21:11
An even better reason to have the compression strap running over it... well, on the right side anyway:rolleyes:

OOH, a thought! Put whatever you've got in that flask in a 1L bladder in the 'exterior' bladder pocket (between frame and pack). Oh, what the heck, go ahead and make it a 2L! :banana

scope
04-27-2006, 21:14
OK, my turn for truth. I use the hydration bladder to carry a 6-pack of Dale's Pale Ale (pack it in, pack it out). The compression bungee is great for securing a blue ice pack!

swede
04-27-2006, 22:31
Well, to bring this arguement full circle, I don't need a compression strap since I don't need ice, and my 'rhuematiz medecine' will never freeze:clap

Beachwalker
05-01-2006, 18:59
Scope,

That's exactly my point. I mean, people praise GG for their great packs, innovative design, light weight... well if the company is so damned smart, why the hell would they make something that's broken, like these allegedly screwed up pockets, and then continue to make them and put them on newer model packs??? My contention is that they are not screwed up, they are supposed to be that way. The fact that most people are used to nice little side pockets with cute covers that you can put stuff in is immaterial, that's not what these side pockets are supposed to be. Hey, like I said, I own one, use it all the time, and have no problems with the pockets... I just use them as they are designed to be used. Anything small goes into the removable lid, for easy access (that is, all the stuff I used to put in the side pockets, now goes into the lid).
Glad to hear you're not nuts either!

-- BW

mn-backpacker
05-08-2006, 10:45
I have a latitude vapor, and...

1. I now *love* panel loading
2. I think it's a fantastic pack for only 42 oz
3. I don't find the pockets odd or irritating in the least

I've never use the pockets for a 1L water bottle - I use a bladder for hydration. I carry a 1L aquafina bottle for convenience drinking around camp, but I normally carry it empty in the side pouch. I stuff my stove fuel in there too - which I dont't want to fall out. I put maps in there. I put my compass in there. I put my little leatherman micra in there. There is normally a cliff bar in there as well. I put a bunch of accouterments in there that I don't want to fall out.

I think of loosening the compression strap the same as unzipping an external pocket.

skskinner
10-28-2007, 19:02
I have had the Nimbus Latitude for a year or so and I love it! It is the most comfortable pack I have ever used. I am waiting on a pack from New Zealand from a company called AARN however that may be better. I will let you know. Steve

Deadeye
10-28-2007, 20:32
I have a Latitude Vapor (long), like it a lot, but am considering going to the Nimbus suspension, either the Ozone or the Latitude. I like the panel loading feature of the latitude, but I also like the weight savings and overstuffability of the ozone, but I would like a more supportive frame of the Nimbus series. I added the GG hip belt pockets, and just leave the compression straps that cover the side pockes undone. I can reach the left pocket for my water bottle no problem (I'm bendy on that side!). Can't really go very wrong with GG stuff, just get one that fits and suits your needs.

Biloxi
10-28-2007, 20:42
I have the latitude and even went and got the womans model Ki.. for the wife..I have even carried the womans pack on a couple day hikes..love the waist belt on that model..the panel loading is a great way to not have to dump your pack ,if you are a good organizer you will love the GG nimbus latitude

ncmtns
10-30-2007, 19:27
I have the Nimbus Latitude. Are these packs supposed to be waterproof? water resistant? Im wondering if I should continue carrying my pack cover. Anyone know?

skskinner
10-30-2007, 20:03
I have found this Nimbus Latitude to be the most comfortable pack I have ever carried, including Dana Designs Boseman stuff. I have hence found one better for me. Look at Aarn packs and read up on them, Just got mine today and it's awesome.
My like-new Nimbus Latitude is up for sale. If you are interested:[email protected]
Steve

Kerosene
10-31-2007, 10:41
I have the Nimbus Latitude. Are these packs supposed to be waterproof? water resistant? Im wondering if I should continue carrying my pack cover. Anyone know?I experimented last Fall with my Nimbus Ozone, lining it with a big plastic pack liner and foregoing the pack cover. Bad idea. After an hour-long downpour I ended up with puddles in the bottom of the pack, plus a lot of wet nylon. I ended up reverting to my 2-oz silnyl pack cover, but of course it didn't rain again for the rest of the trip!

Deadeye
10-31-2007, 10:56
I've discovered that if a pack is made of waterproof material, it's always better in one direction than the other. In other words, water will find it's way in, but won't find it's way out.

No matter what my pack is made of, it gets covered in the rain!

Appalachian Tater
10-31-2007, 11:53
I have the Nimbus Latitude. Are these packs supposed to be waterproof? water resistant? Im wondering if I should continue carrying my pack cover. Anyone know?

None of the GG packs are the least bit water-anything. Line it with a plastic bag.

Deadeye
10-31-2007, 13:27
None of the GG packs are the least bit water-anything. Line it with a plastic bag.

Liner or cover will keep your contents dry, but a cover keeps the pack dry, too. With a liner, you may wind up with a soggy, therefore heavier, pack. My humble $0.02

Appalachian Tater
10-31-2007, 13:31
Liner or cover will keep your contents dry, but a cover keeps the pack dry, too. With a liner, you may wind up with a soggy, therefore heavier, pack. My humble $0.02

I agree with using a pack cover but I don't think they really work very well in long heavy rains, so if you want your stuff to stay dry, you have to use both.

Deadeye
10-31-2007, 13:36
I agree with using a pack cover but I don't think they really work very well in long heavy rains, so if you want your stuff to stay dry, you have to use both.

Works for me, and I wouldn't call it paranoid, either. On top of that, everything in my pack is in a silnylon stuff sack, too. And on top of that, I use an umbrella, so not much rain hits my pack in the first place!

Like I said, I am NOT paranoid.:rolleyes:

Appalachian Tater
10-31-2007, 14:07
Works for me, and I wouldn't call it paranoid, either. On top of that, everything in my pack is in a silnylon stuff sack, too. And on top of that, I use an umbrella, so not much rain hits my pack in the first place!

Like I said, I am NOT paranoid.:rolleyes:
Well, if you're using an umbrella, what do you need a pack cover for? :)

The GG Cloud packcover or whatever they call it doesn't work very well and will actually hold water in the bottom and allow it to soak into your pack. It works very well at holding on a garbage bag, though!

wrightsphoto
10-31-2007, 14:59
I am fixing to buy a Granite Gear Pack tomorrow...
I have been reading about all of them on here and reviews from other sites.
I think I would like the Latitude Vapor but wanted to also consider the Nimbus Latitude...
Decisions, decisions...........

Bootstrap
10-31-2007, 15:44
I just had an enlightening experience today.

I went to the REI and had them put 15, 20, 30, and 40 pound loads in each of 5 different backpacks, including the one I was returning (they have weighted bean bags to do this with).

For me, the result was surprising. I wound up buying a Ospry Atmos 65. At all weights, it was at least as good as the other best pack. It definitely felt lighter than the Nimbus Meridien for the same weights, and distributed the load better on my back. It also has great pockets for keeping things organized.

My point is less about the pack I chose than the exercise I used. If you can do it, try out a pack at a variety of weights, and try out other packs at the same weights. There's no point to buying a pack that weighs 10 ounces less if it feels heavier when you're carrying a given load.

Jonathan

rafe
10-31-2007, 15:47
For me, the result was surprising. I wound up buying a Ospry Atmos 65.

There's no doubt the Osprey feels good on the back. At least at the store.

Appalachian Tater
10-31-2007, 15:51
I just had an enlightening experience today.

I went to the REI and had them put 15, 20, 30, and 40 pound loads in each of 5 different backpacks, including the one I was returning (they have weighted bean bags to do this with).

For me, the result was surprising. I wound up buying a Ospry Atmos 65. At all weights, it was at least as good as the other best pack. It definitely felt lighter than the Nimbus Meridien for the same weights, and distributed the load better on my back. It also has great pockets for keeping things organized.

My point is less about the pack I chose than the exercise I used. If you can do it, try out a pack at a variety of weights, and try out other packs at the same weights. There's no point to buying a pack that weighs 10 ounces less if it feels heavier when you're carrying a given load.

Jonathan

The people I met who had Ospreys liked them a LOT. Some of them were very experienced hikers and were definitely aware of all the choices.

Kerosene
10-31-2007, 16:31
Liner or cover will keep your contents dry, but a cover keeps the pack dry, too. With a liner, you may wind up with a soggy, therefore heavier, pack. My humble $0.02I modified my silnyl pack cover to connect the bottom drawstring to the top of the cover, and added a side-to-side string, both connecting with a lightweight 'biner. Adds an ounce to the configuration, but keeps the cover on the pack even in a driving rain. You'd think that the cross formed by the overlapping strings would be uncomfortable, but I don't even know it's there.

Jaybird
06-15-2011, 06:51
Does anyone have experience with the Latitude Vapor or Nimbus Latitude? I like the panel loading idea but have never used one on a hike.:-?

I bought my Granite Gear Latitude Vapor 4 years ago...
LOVE it!:D

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=593631