PDA

View Full Version : Question about Copper Spur 2

paule
11-25-2015, 10:51
I received my new copper spur and was having a bit of a hard time placing the crossover pole ends into the rain fly,figured because it was new and tight.Then I came across instructions that said those pockets are only not to be used on the ul1 or 2 unless just setting it up with the rainfly and foot print.I would like to ask any copper spur owners if this is true,and why. Here are the instructions i copied COPPER SPUR UL SETUP INSTRUCTIONS1. Remove contents from stuff sack. Spread the tent body out flat on the ground.2. Assemble the two poles: One main pole with two hubs and one short straightcrossover pole. To ensure each pole section is fully seated insert each pole sectioninto the next by hand, instead of allowing the shock cord to snap them together.3. Position the assembled pole set on top of the tent body. CS1 & CS2: Align the orangepole segments of the main pole set with the orange webbing at the foot ofthe tent. CS3 & CS4: The pole set is symmetrical so the pole tips may be insertedat either end.4. Insert the pole tips into the grommets at the four corners of the tent.5. Attach the H Clip on the top-center of the tent body to the Swivel CH hub on themain pole. CS1: Attach H Clip to Swivel H.6. Attach the Twist Clips on the tent body to the main pole.7. Place the crossover pole across the top of the ridge pole and into the top of theSwivel CH for CS2, CS3, & CS4. The cross pole on the CS1 is already attached to themain pole.8. CS1, CS2, CS3: Clip the ends of the crossover pole into the clear plastic Ball Capclips that are located above the doors on the tent body. CS4: Attach the H Clipsabove the doors of the tent body to the S Stoppers on the cross pole.9. Stake out the four corners of the tent body.10. Drape the rainfly over the tent body. CS & CS2: Align the silver and orange webbingstraps on the rainfly with those on the corners of the tent body. CS3 & CS4:Align the doors on the fly with the doors on the tents body.11. CS4: Insert the tips of the cross pole into the webbing pockets located on theunderside of the fly. Note: CS1, CS2 and CS3: The webbing pockets are used inthe Fast Fly set up only.12. Make sure the webbing at the corners of the rainfly is completely slackened. Attachthe buckles on the rainfly to those on the tent body.13. Stake out the vestibules.14. Evenly tension the webbing on each corner as needed to keep the rainfly taut.15. Stake out all guylines.Separate 6”, large diameter pole segment included for emergency

paule
11-25-2015, 11:06
I'm sorry step number 11 states cs4 only use the web pockets on the fly ,the 1,2,and 3 these are only to be used in the fast fly set up

Just Bill
11-25-2015, 11:19
http://www.rei.com/product/880753/big-agnes-copper-spur-ul-2-mtnglo-tent

off hand having only used it a few times and not having it in front of me...

From a designers point of view-
The ball clip attachment is on the tent body, which pulls it into position correctly.
If using the tent body and the fly together- I don't see how you could make the ball clip connection if you pitched that pole into the fly pockets. Being the primary pitch option, likely it was designed to be the easier method. Also lets you simply drape the fly over the structure to speed pitch time.

Step 11 notes that the pockets are not used when pitched with the body.

If going fly alone then the pockets are a "backup" option. It is tougher as you noted. Doing a double ended pocket and getting a tight fit isn't the most elegant option, but it works and doesn't conflict with the clip system. So mainly to me looks like they did the best primary design they could, and added a secondary feature for those looking for that option. Fly only pitch is a bonus, so to speak, so it's not ideal but works in a pinch.

Hopefully that makes sense, otherwise a picture of what you're trying to do would help and I'd probably have to pull mine out to replicate what you're looking for.

paule
11-25-2015, 11:32
http://www.rei.com/product/880753/big-agnes-copper-spur-ul-2-mtnglo-tent

off hand having only used it a few times and not having it in front of me...

From a designers point of view-
The ball clip attachment is on the tent body, which pulls it into position correctly.
If using the tent body and the fly together- I don't see how you could make the ball clip connection if you pitched that pole into the fly pockets. Being the primary pitch option, likely it was designed to be the easier method. Also lets you simply drape the fly over the structure to speed pitch time.

Step 11 notes that the pockets are not used when pitched with the body.

If going fly alone then the pockets are a "backup" option. It is tougher as you noted. Doing a double ended pocket and getting a tight fit isn't the most elegant option, but it works and doesn't conflict with the clip system. So mainly to me looks like they did the best primary design they could, and added a secondary feature for those looking for that option. Fly only pitch is a bonus, so to speak, so it's not ideal but works in a pinch.

Hopefully that makes sense, otherwise a picture of what you're trying to do would help and I'd probably have to pull mine out to replicate what you're looking for.
Thank you,yes that does make perfect sense.The problem was I watched a few set ups on you tube and they were using the web pockets even with the tent body.I guess you can't believe everything you see on the internet,Thank You for our response,and when you get around to setting yours up,let me know what you think,if possible,I would love to hear your opinion on this.

Just Bill
11-25-2015, 11:41
Thank you,yes that does make perfect sense.The problem was I watched a few set ups on you tube and they were using the web pockets even with the tent body.I guess you can't believe everything you see on the internet,Thank You for our response,and when you get around to setting yours up,let me know what you think,if possible,I would love to hear your opinion on this.

Forgive me, what else are you trying to figure out?

Or link the youtube video I guess. Are you asking if the "wrong" way you saw may be a better way?

As far as I can tell- this is all there is to know:
Skip the pockets when using the tent body.
Use the pockets when doing fly only.

The cut of the fly and clipping it to each corner is more than adequate to hold the fly in place when used with the body; so if you're concerned that you need to attach the fly at the crosspole somehow- don't be.

paule
11-25-2015, 11:50
Forgive me, what else are you trying to figure out?

Or link the youtube video I guess. Are you asking if the "wrong" way you saw may be a better way?

As far as I can tell- this is all there is to know:
Skip the pockets when using the tent body.
Use the pockets when doing fly only.

The cut of the fly and clipping it to each corner is more than adequate to hold the fly in place when used with the body; so if you're concerned that you need to attach the fly at the crosspole somehow- don't be.
Oh no you have answered my questions completely ,I was just pointing out that before I read the directions I was going by the you tube instructions that were wrong.I thank you very much,your answer was right on.Just wanted to know your opinion of the tent after you use it awhile.Thanks again.

Just Bill
11-25-2015, 12:11
Gotcha- I'm already happy enough with it and knew what I was buying. I bought it because it's about the best mix of features and function. The poles actually go to the corners and it is fully usable free standing- which is getting rare. Most folks cut out stuff and went to the dubious "semi-freestanding" claim to shave weight.

Long term I'm guessing the floor will develop some issues- but that will be my only complaint. I could use a ground sheet but I don't because I'm a jerk and will likely just trash it. No issues with about 30 nights of use thus far.
The zippers are a bit finicky- but that's a concession to the UL design and is what it is. The clip system is a bit hard to use for my son, but so is a small cordlock and shoelaces- so that's not a fair ding, lol.

I prefer pole sleeved dome tents personally, but not having time to make a new one, this is the closest thing on the market to that style. Making gear I understand why the clip system exists from a manufacturing standpoint it is easier and cheaper to design and build.

A true dome gives the most space for the weight, and a 3/4 fly the best balance of coverage and weight. The sleeve system is the fastest pitch possible, preserves the greatest volume of interior space and you can leave the fly attached while pitching or packing so you don't have to debate how best to pitch in the rain- you just do it.

But as said- other than building one myself- they are gone from the market in any quality product at a comparable weight.

So don't hold yer breath... my long term report likely won't change. :D

paule
11-25-2015, 12:16
Gotcha- I'm already happy enough with it and knew what I was buying. I bought it because it's about the best mix of features and function. The poles actually go to the corners and it is fully usable free standing- which is getting rare. Most folks cut out stuff and went to the dubious "semi-freestanding" claim to shave weight.

Long term I'm guessing the floor will develop some issues- but that will be my only complaint. I could use a ground sheet but I don't because I'm a jerk and will likely just trash it. No issues with about 30 nights of use thus far.
The zippers are a bit finicky- but that's a concession to the UL design and is what it is. The clip system is a bit hard to use for my son, but so is a small cordlock and shoelaces- so that's not a fair ding, lol.

I prefer pole sleeved dome tents personally, but not having time to make a new one, this is the closest thing on the market to that style. Making gear I understand why the clip system exists from a manufacturing standpoint it is easier and cheaper to design and build.

A true dome gives the most space for the weight, and a 3/4 fly the best balance of coverage and weight. The sleeve system is the fastest pitch possible, preserves the greatest volume of interior space and you can leave the fly attached while pitching or packing so you don't have to debate how best to pitch in the rain- you just do it.

But as said- other than building one myself- they are gone from the market in any quality product at a comparable weight.

So don't hold yer breath... my long term report likely won't change. :D
Thank You for your help and opinion,,,sounds good