PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrating personal meals

Hosh
11-25-2015, 23:32
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but a great series of recipes have been done on a youtube channel. Search on Babelfish5. He has some great renditions of tuna casserole, beef stroganoff, and chicken & rice.

Check it out

Hikes in Rain
11-26-2015, 09:48
I did. Lots of nice things to try there. Good find, Hosh, thanks!

Hosh
11-26-2015, 11:16
Your welcome, I've been doing my own main dishes for about 5 years. His recipes are pretty easy. I have been storing everything in mason jars that I vacuum seal and then store in my freezer.

I've had hamburger gravel last over 3 years.

Hikes in Rain
11-26-2015, 14:15
Didn't realize you could vacuum pack jars. I'd bet it really would extend the life of stored food. I'll have to check it out. I played with dehydration off and on for a few years with a cheap "as seen on TV!" brand dehydrator. Got serious enough with it to justify a last year model Excalibur. Really improved the quality of my dried stuff!

Hosh
11-26-2015, 16:16
The Excalibur is the Cadillac of dehydrators. Some of the FoodSaver vacuum sealers have a canister option. You can buy a separate jar sealer, http://www.foodsaver.com/jar-sealers/?gclid=CJaJhZ_zrskCFVCAaQodMjoKnA&kwid=104978734x1979976970x57127330 that can be used on Mason jars. It's really handy for dehydrated foods and things like rice, flour etc. My wife and I can tomatoes, pickles and salsas, so we have lots of spare jars sitting around.

Hikes in Rain
11-26-2015, 16:51
Got ours cheap! New model came out and Amazon had the old one cut rate. Also saved $100 by getting the one without the timer. Wandered out to the workshop and found one of our old timers you plug into the wall and plug a lamp into so people think you're home (and have exactly the same routine each night!). Thanks for the link on the foodsaver; it's going to come in handy.

Hosh
11-27-2015, 13:48
I use a Nesco, it's adequate but doesn't dry everything consistently. The inner ring takes longer than than outer diameter. It's not a really big deal since I tend to over dry things. Occasionally I'll move things around to even it all out. I generally run the unit over night so I don't feel the need for a timer.