PDA

View Full Version : Hiking With Type 1 Diabetes

betic4lyf
12-08-2005, 03:58
i have had type 1 diabetes for a couple years , and i was just wondering, if anyone else hear has it, and how they deal with it and stuff. Just havent talked to that many diabetic hikers lately.:cool:

phatfish
12-08-2005, 04:17
I've gots it. What would you like to know about "how I deal with it and stuff"?

neo
12-08-2005, 10:10
i just got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last week,i started a post on it last week,i also was diagnosed with hepatitis c less than three years ago also:cool: neo

Just Jeff
12-08-2005, 10:14
I heard of someone who created a small cooler to keep the insulin cold. It was a thermos, and the insulin bottle connected to the lid. Whenever they passed a cold mountain stream, they filled the bottle with cold water.

Guess it'll work as long as you're not in the desert.

phatfish
12-08-2005, 13:31
I've had good luck using a frio pouch to keep my insulin cool on the trail.
http://www.friouk.com/
It seems to work better than advertised, taking a long time to begin drying out, and needing only a minute dip to recharge.

Bigfoot 2X
12-08-2005, 22:16
I have type 1 and plan on heading NOBO next spring. I have worn an insulin pump for the past 9+ years. I have dreamed about thru hiking for 30+ years, now I feel like I have the freedom to reach this goal.

neo
12-09-2005, 17:31
they started me on insulin today,i use a pen and am taking only 16 units
to start,my blood sugar was 414 after fasting,am also now taking 4 mg of amarly 2 times a day,my diet and metformin i have been on the last week did very little,the dr i saw today ran blood work to determine if i am type 1 or type 2:cool: neo

gumby
12-09-2005, 20:44
they started me on insulin today,i use a pen and am taking only 16 units
to start,my blood sugar was 414 after fasting,am also now taking 4 mg of amarly 2 times a day,my diet and metformin i have been on the last week did very little,the dr i saw today ran blood work to determine if i am type 1 or type 2:cool: neo

Make sure your Doc gets an A1C test. This one is more accurate than the normal test of your sugar levels. The normal test is how much sugar is in your system AT THAT time. The A1C is a calculated one that is the average over the life of the blood cell, which is about 3 months. The A1C should be between 7-8. Good luck with it.

gumby

bfitz
12-10-2005, 23:33
I never had any trouble with insulin. Never took any special precautions to keep it cool. I tend to eat about 25 grams of carb per hour while I'm hiking to balance the exercise. I take 15 units NPH insulin 3 times a day (every eight hours...thats basically a little less than 2 units per hour base) which keeps me pretty steady all things being equal...Whenever I eat something that isn't a correction for my blood sugar I count the carbs, divide by four and take that amount of fast acting humalog insulin. If i need to correct my blood sugar with insulin i take about 1 unit for every 20 points I want to bring it down depending on the situation (a little extra if I want it down quicker). I take alpha-lipoic acid and chromium every day, and try to take as little insulin as necessary...I test every 1-2 hours or so when I'm hiking. I teach people about glucagon for fun at shelters and stuff just in case they run into me in the woods in trouble...I've never needed it, although I've had a few near-disasters. I always have powdered gatorade. I try to avoid hiking on that borderline low-blood sugar buzzz, but it does feel good sometimes..
My last A1C was 6.4, but I still think the lower the better, normal folks actually have from 4-6, which my doctor never told me...just said 7 was ok...

bfitz
12-10-2005, 23:36
Stop the Rollercoaster and the Pocket Pancreas are great reference books. Interestingly, so are bodybuilding magazines....

bfitz
12-10-2005, 23:38
I heard of someone who created a small cooler to keep the insulin cold. It was a thermos, and the insulin bottle connected to the lid. Whenever they passed a cold mountain stream, they filled the bottle with cold water.

Guess it'll work as long as you're not in the desert.
That guy was called ketone, his device has come up before, he won the backpacker magazine contest for gear inventions or something at Trail Daze a coupla years ago.

neo
12-19-2005, 10:54
i found out this past friday that my diabetes is type 2 ,but i am insulin dependent,my treatment is 60 carbs per meal and one 15 gram carb snack
at night,one 16 unit shot of time released insulin in the evening and 4mg of amaryl twice daily,i walk 3 miles of dinner every evening:cool: neo

Nate
02-05-2006, 22:46
I have hiking with Type 1 Diabetes since I was 15 yrs old. I use a insulin pump which regulates my blood sugar to near profection. Now after deciding to major in Forestry/Wildlife Mgmt. I now need to look at new options. I have recently looked at a blood sugar moniter that is implanted directly into the stomach which measures BS levels at every second of everyday. This then sends a electronic beam to a new model insulin pump and this sets of the trigger to either lower of rase the level of insilin intake as a means of better control. This will make my life in my field of work and life on the trail many, many times better. I would recommend the insulin pump 100%, life for me, an active teen, easier.

If you ever need info, look me up...
NATE:cool:

Nate
02-05-2006, 23:14
Man I forgot, there is more I need to tell you. a very wise man told me once that life consists of 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with it. Many, many times I got down and asked God why it had to be me but I'm different now. You learn after a while that life is good no matter what and waking up in the mornings can still be acomplished even with the ailment of diabetes. I didn't notice your age until after I sumited my last reply but your age hit home. The ever-lasting peace that feel is rewarded from God and enhanced in my experences upon the trail. Not until quite reciently have I realized this. You can do any anybody else does and I've done alot, even looked at climbing Everest. If you don't remember anything that I've wrote to you remember this: "the only thing that can defeat you (and I mean the only thing) is the lack of belief in you yourself, without this inner belief, life will prove to be, only a hill too difficult and not worth the climb, but only if you let it."

NATE :cool:

AlfalfaDog
03-14-2013, 19:19
According to the FDA, in emergency situations "all of the available insulin products may be left unrefrigerated (between 59 and 86 degrees F) for up to 28 days and still maintain potency." >> for more details...

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/EmergencyPreparedness/ucm085213.htm

Also, I highly recommend using a continuous glucose monitor. I've been using the Dexcom G4 and it's amazing, provides glucose readings every 5 min and each sensor lasts for a week. Affordable with insurance thanks to Romney/ Obama Care.

Hope this helps.

Options
03-26-2013, 09:07
Type 1 here. Planning a thru-hike starting March, 2014.:banana