PDA

View Full Version : Lightheart gear solong6 in light snow?

saltysack
11-26-2015, 10:15
I realize it's not a 4 season shelter but giving its what I currently use I'm curious if anyone has used it in any light snow fall? I've used it on plenty of winter hikes in south east but given this years higher snow fall predictions I'm just curious..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
11-26-2015, 10:25
I want to know also. My tent buying list has boiled down to the Lightheart Gear Solong 6 or Duo and the TarpTent Rainbow or Stratospire 1.
Any information is appreciated.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

eblanche
11-26-2015, 12:22
I've had my Solo in about a foot of overnight snow. The silnylon sagged as expected but overall I would say it does perfectly fine.

Slosteppin
11-26-2015, 21:50
I've had both my double Rainbow and my LHG Solo in a few inches of snow combined with heavy winds several times. Using all the stake out points they both did OK but the DR seemed to flap in the wind more.

saltysack
11-26-2015, 22:46
Thx...by the looks of the pix I should be fine....I'm only talking about ga-va conditions....

Marta
11-27-2015, 10:50
Should not be a problem. When snow (or heavy rain) is expected, you should stake the fly a bit further away from the mesh than you otherwise might, to allow for the sag. Sometimes I tie the fly on the exit side up on a tree so I won't brush against it getting in and out of the tent.

Del Q
11-27-2015, 15:59
Should be fine, I own the CF version...........have made the mistake of not pitching it taut enough - was still fine. Snow build up a bit. Pushed it off from inside a few times - all good!

Venchka
11-27-2015, 21:04
What about condensation with the tent battened down tight?

Wayne

saltysack
11-28-2015, 11:20
What about condensation with the tent battened down tight?

Wayne

Only time I've had condensation problem was a the first night after buying tent I set it up on siler bald on an oct-nov section hike. It was a very wet night but ever since I've had no real issues down here in the humid SE. I always use the awning pole and keep it ventilated but on my JMT hike I snapped the awning pole so I kept closed up with no issues...as Cali is dry....great tent for 1-2+....I'm 5'11" @ 210lbs, my 60lb 9 year old and 20lb JRT fit nicely. Plenty of room under the awning for all three packs.....not bad for a 2lb shelter.

Venchka
11-28-2015, 13:50
Exactly the use I have in mind. Very infrequent trips with my 11 year old grandson in NC & solo trips along the C.D. No dog.
No reason why it won't work.
Thanks.

Wayne