PDA

View Full Version : December hike in Tenn. good/bad?

Disney
12-08-2005, 05:31
I am planning on doing 19E to Beauty Spot before Christmas. I've got a 15 degree bag with a liner and thick thermarest, pretty sure that's ok. I was just wondering if I was going to be completely alone. What are the chances I come across anybody else? I hiked the same area in the beginning of March and assume this will be colder, but is there anything else I really need to know? Specifically, are the water sources going to be more difficult to find?

Nean
12-08-2005, 07:21
I grew up in Dallas, Disney. Understand why you would want to get out here! I think odds are you will see a few, but there should be room in the shelters.;) Might get a bit colder than March, but so far the weather hasn't been that bad. Southbounders are still coming thru. Boiling hot water bottles on a cold night works wonders in the bag. Most springs are still trickling and should get stronger as there has finally been some good rains.

orangebug
12-08-2005, 08:02
I'd encourage bringing a tent or similar shelter to help, just in case. Bring extra food so you are prepared for bad weather and have to put up for a day or two.

neo
12-08-2005, 10:13
i hiked from HYW 19E to damascus va about this time in december of 2001
i only saw one person the 4 days i was on the trail:cool: neo