PDA

View Full Version : I'm selecting the Squeeze! Next question, what container do you use to carry water in

BenOnAdventures
11-27-2015, 00:23
Hey adventurers, I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! I have decided the main filter I am going to use is the Sawyer Squeeze. My next question is what would you use? Platypus? CamelbaK? Or what? This is for the CDT if that matters, as I said in a previous post, I'm in the process of planning this thru hike out with a few others. But if there are any other filters that would be more effective than the Squeeze feel free to suggest those. Thank you!!

capehiker
11-27-2015, 00:37
What is your normal water purification routine?

BenOnAdventures
11-27-2015, 00:50
What is your normal water purification routine? I've used some other off brand filters, boiled and just brought water in. Just a mixture. But I've decided to go with the Squeeze. Do you recommend the Platypus or Camelbak or what for carrying your water? Thanks!

capehiker
11-27-2015, 01:12
I recommend neither. I use a couple Smart Water bottles and Evernew soft bottles that can roll up when not in use. I use those specific brands because the Sawyer threading marries perfect with the threading on those bottles.

BenOnAdventures
11-27-2015, 01:15
I recommend neither. I use a couple Smart Water bottles and Evernew soft bottles that can roll up when not in use. I use those specific brands because the Sawyer threading marries perfect with the threading on those bottles. Oh sweet! Thank you for the suggestion! That was my big concern with Sawyer was the threading but that's good to hear about those specific ones matching up with Sawyer. Thanks and I hope you have a great holiday weekend!

gunther11
11-27-2015, 04:49
I do use just simple water bottles out of PE.
As I can by them at any shop. here re some very light one around.
Reason: very sheap, very light, and I do change them every now and then

bigcranky
11-27-2015, 09:31
I use 1-liter Gatorade bottles. Much easier to use, clean, replace, etc., on a long hike. I could never keep the tubes clean on a bladder (they can grow all kinds of fun stuff inside).

The squeeze is a nice filter. I also carry some of the Aqua Mira tablets for when I can't use the filter for whatever reason. Great when I'm in a hurry.

The CDT is quite an undertaking for a first long distance hike. Good luck.

G22inSC
11-27-2015, 10:21
I recommend neither. I use a couple Smart Water bottles and Evernew soft bottles that can roll up when not in use. I use those specific brands because the Sawyer threading marries perfect with the threading on those bottles.

I use the exact same. Found the Evernew soft bottles most recently on Amazon. They can be difficult to locate at times.

Odd Man Out
11-27-2015, 11:02
Me too. I have two of the 900 mL (30 oz) Evernew bladders. One is for dirty water and the other for clean. I prefer this over one large bladder so I have a backup in the event of a failure. I also have two of the 20 oz Gatorade bottles. I like these because the have a large opening for easy filling. Also the have deep grooves so the can easily be secured to my pack straps with thin bungees. I only carry water in the Evernew bladders if I need to haul water for dry camping or hiking on a long dry stretch. I punched 2 holes in plastic tabs on the bottom of one bladder and ran a loop of string through it. Then you can hang it from a tree branch and let the water flow through by gravity. Also helps to keep track of which one is for dirty water.

squeezebox
11-27-2015, 11:40
The output end of my sawyer is the same as a water bottle cap. Same as the input of my water bladder. I drilled a hole in the top of 2 water bottle caps, good glob of silicone, tighten together with a brass bolt and washers, clean excess, sit overnight, drill a couple extra holes thru the caps. Now the filter and bladder can be connected water tight. Since the Sawyer dirty water bag screws into the top of the filter, with that simple piece I now have a gravity set up.
Could do the same thing for water bottle cap to Gatoraide cap. If you use a bottle instead of a bag. screw it in a little loose for air venting.

May you flow with the lightness of water!

BenOnAdventures
11-27-2015, 11:42
Excellent advice and suggestions. I appreciate them all! Have a great weekend!

gwb
11-30-2015, 12:10
I have used a standard Sawyer Squeeze for a few years and always used a 2 liter Platypus. Im not sure why people say they don't work, I don't want to give you ad information but it has worked for me. I recently bought a 2 liter Evernew water bag and used it for the first time this past weekend. I didn't notice any difference... That Evernew bag was hard to find but I found one on Amazon it shipped from Japan and took almost a month to get it. Time will tell I it works better or not. The Smart water bottle always was a pain for me to use since you quickly squeeze all the air out and it gets "locked". YMMV

RockDoc
12-01-2015, 15:03
I used Platypus bladders for years but lately I've had problems with several in a row that began leaking. They are perhaps the lightest, but I'm looking for something stronger, and it's OK if it's a bit heavier if it won't soak the inside of my pack after some moderate usage or a bit of age.

soilman
12-01-2015, 16:56
I use a Sawyer squeeze with a Platypus 2 liter and the in-line adapter. I filter my water via gravity and have never used the "bag". I have never had a problem with the bladder leaking. It is over 5 years old and has been on an AT thru and LT thru. I usually carry 2 empty gatorade bottles, one for filtered water and one for unfiltered and filter the water by gravity into the bottle. I sometimes carry a smartwater bottle which I designate as my unfiltered water bottle. I can screw the Sawyer on it and drink from the bottle, but I find it is easier to use gravity and just drink from a gatorade bottle or directly from the bladder.

Praha4
12-01-2015, 20:13
I use the Squeeze with a 1L smartwater bottle, and a 2L Platypus Hoser

Slosteppin
12-01-2015, 21:54
I use platypus bladders with my Sawyer mini (Squeeze) filter. I generally carry a 2, or 4 L Big Zipper Platypus for dirty water because they are easy to fill from shallow streams. For clean water I use two one L Platy bladders. I bought several Quick Connects from REI. I use a gravity set up so my water filters while I do other things. With the Quick Connects I have use several other brands of bladders when experimenting.

poolskaterx
12-01-2015, 22:23
I drink ALOT of water when hiking.
I have the 2 liter Platypus for dirty water and it folds up real small and is super light; I only use this to gravity feed into my 1l platypus bottles (2). I also have the Platypus drink tube that I use to drink from the 1 liter bottlesthat are stashed in my side pockets of my pack. When I need to filter I fill the 2 liter platypus up with dirty water, screw on my sawyer filter to the 2L bag and hang it up on a tree branch/bush, table, and then push my bite valve from my drink tube into the bottom of the filter, give a gentle squeeze to the 2 liter platty to get it flowing and in no time your 1L bottle will be full, once the bottle is full it will stop flowing, unscrew your drink tube and transfer to the other 1L platty and repeat. Way cheaper than buying the Gravity filter system.

Hangfire
12-01-2015, 22:35
I use the sawyer pouches for my dirty water as the filter makes a nice tight seal with their threads (be careful they are delicate). For whatever reason the platypus pouches didn't form a tight seal with the squeeze filter...(anyone else experience this)? As far as water container for your pack and regular drinking bottle I would recommend considering your backpack pouch sizes then going from there. I had gone with the advice from other hikers to use smart water bottles only to realize they didn't fit well in the zpack pockets and wanted to fall out. I ended going with my trusty nalgene bottle which of course everyone told me not to do, but I found it to be easy to fill with the squeeze as it has such a wide mouth to aim the stream at. Also getting back to the platypus, I did carry a 2L model with me which was great for camp/cooking/handwashing and in a bind (when water was scarce) you could load it up and stuff it in your pack and not worry about leaking.

Another great use for the sawyer setup (which I think I'm the only weird person to use it this way) but with the 2L sawyer bag and the squeeze attached I would invert the bag(full of water) and hold it under my arm (like a bagpipe) and the water would trickle out the filter just enough to get your hands wet then lather them up with your camp soap of Dr. Bronners and scrub them good, then when you're ready to rinse just squeeze the pouch Z(bagpipe style) and a better stream will flow to allow you to rinse off all the soap and leave you with squeaky clean hands, all of this without wasting hardly any water. After being crushed by noro I made sure to religiously wash my hands before meals and after privy stops.

iAmKrzys
12-01-2015, 22:49
I use Sawyer mini a bit like a pre-filter and I follow up with SteriPen. Since my SteriPen needs wider opening I have collapsible Nalgene bottle and then pour out treated water to regular 16 or 20 oz water bottles.